Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Sep 21, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
RuthieR
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by skb 123 View Post
DS knew early on he wanted career in cyber security. Took A Levels in Computing, Economics and Mandarin Chinese. School (grammar) only promoted university options, but DS did his own research into degree apprenticeships and pursued both options. Turned down unconditional uni offer in favour of degree apprenticeship with a well known financial institution. At age 22 he has just graduated with a First, has 4 years' work experience and is now on a permanent contract as a cyber security intelligence analyst. He is about to buy his first property, having been able to save more than his peers have accumulated in student debt!

DD has just started Year 13 and only just decided this year that she would like to be a detective. So she will be pursuing the routes other posters have mentioned here already. Based on DS' experience, we will be strongly encouraging the police degree apprenticeship option.
DS looked at this option but decided that as the course was so new he didn't fancy having to work and then study in his own time as this was offered at Sheffield Hallam. He also looked at a few other places but didn't fancy living in a bedsit / flat on his own and not knowing anyone as the course was very limited contact with students his own age. We also wanted him to have his turn at student life so is doing the Police degree route.
RuthieR is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Daughter joked that her degree in Photography Fine Art was the most useless discipline there was (although she enjoyed it).
However, she worked her way up in the film industry. Today she’s an executive producer of marketing film for Rolex. Proves that no degree is useless if you have a strong work ethic and you are prepared to work your way up. She earns more than I ever did in teaching. She’s 35.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
pumpkin mom
Serious Dibber

The day before his 16 birthday our son sat us down and showed us the info he had obtained for joining the army. Teachers wanted him to stay on but he was determined to go to the army foundation college. The day he passed out was one of our proudest moments. Sometimes they do know what they want. May not always be what we want but i am so proud x
Old 8 Sep 21, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

I am very jealous of young people who know what they want to do, I’m almost 45 and still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up

Our DD had no idea what career path she would like to take. She was accepted in to Law at university and lasted 2 weeks as she only applied as she thought it would be a good qualification to have, she had no interest in becoming a solicitor.

She transferred to English & Philosophy and is now in her final year. She has enjoyed the course but has no idea what kind of career/job it could lead to, so is now looking into going on to study a for a masters in commercial law.

The only advice I have given both our kids (DS is only 12) is to pick subjects they enjoy then, in theory, they may end up with a job they enjoy.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
Thank you, that is good advice. Some kids appear to know what they want to do early on, others not so much.

Nowadays there are just so many options available and it's really helpful reading all this experiences, to share the wealth of choices and paths open to them.
Our DS Simon know from the age of 12 he wanted to fix planes. After achieving his degree and extra exams to qualify he was enjoying his career. About 4 years ago he was asked if he wanted to do the BA pilots course, but because it would mean getting no pay for a year while he was training, he declined. We feel he did the right thing, as his position as a team leader his job is safe, where not all BA pilots keep their jobs.

Lesley and Melvin
Old 9 Sep 21, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
fissycist
Excited about Disney

Mobile

DD1 knew that she wanted to be a Speech and Language Therapist from about the age of 15. We managed to to get some work experience with adults and children. She is just about to start the third year of her integrated masters degree. She still loves it despite the challenges of placement during COVID-19.
DD2 aged 17 wanted to study medicine at university until about a year ago but changed her mind and doesn’t know what she wants to do. She loves her football and has been selected to play for a ladies team so now we are thinking about looking into a soccer scholarship at an American University. Scary stuff but I am told it would be her best opportunity if she is serious about football.
She wants to sort it out for herself and doesn’t want my input …. Hard for person whom likes to organise😉
At the end of the day I don’t want to push her in any direction and just want her to be happy. It doesn’t matter if she needs to take a year out to decide. Life is too short and I would rather she didn’t agonise over trying something she really isn’t sure about.
I think it will work out for the best one way or another - my own path to my final career was a bumpy ride so I just need to take a back seat until she works it out.
fissycist is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 21, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fissycist View Post
DD1 knew that she wanted to be a Speech and Language Therapist from about the age of 15. We managed to to get some work experience with adults and children. She is just about to start the third year of her integrated masters degree. She still loves it despite the challenges of placement during COVID-19.
DD2 aged 17 wanted to study medicine at university until about a year ago but changed her mind and doesn’t know what she wants to do. She loves her football and has been selected to play for a ladies team so now we are thinking about looking into a soccer scholarship at an American University. Scary stuff but I am told it would be her best opportunity if she is serious about football.
She wants to sort it out for herself and doesn’t want my input …. Hard for person whom likes to organise😉
At the end of the day I don’t want to push her in any direction and just want her to be happy. It doesn’t matter if she needs to take a year out to decide. Life is too short and I would rather she didn’t agonise over trying something she really isn’t sure about.
I think it will work out for the best one way or another - my own path to my final career was a bumpy ride so I just need to take a back seat until she works it out.
The football route sounds fascinating! I'd be keen to hear how she gets on with that
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 21, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
fissycist
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
The football route sounds fascinating! I'd be keen to hear how she gets on with that
The football club she has joined is able to support showcasing her to American university scouts for a fee (the brother of one of the other team members is going through the process at the moment).
I haven’t fully researched the ins and outs yet but I will update on here if she decides to go down that route.

Edited at 10:34 PM.
fissycist is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 21, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

The football club she has joined is able to support showcasing her to American university scouts for a fee (the brother of one of the other team members is going through the process at the moment).
I haven’t fully researched the ins and outs yet but I will update on here she decides to go down that route.
Thank you 👍
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 21, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I haven’t fully researched the ins and outs yet but I will update on here if she decides to go down that route.
I have quite a few friends that have don’t this via the tennis route. 👍🏻
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List