Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Sep 21, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Jobs your teens went on to do

Hi all

Dd is looking at career choices at school.

What did your teenagers decide to do abs what sis they need to do it? eg which qualifications?

Just to give us some ideas!

Edited at 05:40 PM.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
RuthieR
Getting Excited

DS has wanted to join police since in yr9, he is just about to start a Policing degree. He did GCSE and then A levels.
RuthieR is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RuthieR View Post
DS has wanted to join police since in yr9, he is just about to start a Policing degree. He did GCSE and then A levels.
I did not know you could do a degree in policing. 👍🏻
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Ds has just turned 21.
He went to uni and studied business and economics but decided in year two that the course wasn’t for him and he was not enjoying it so he left.
He came home, taught himself to code, got a job at a local tech firm and after 2 years he has completed a couple of online courses and learnt a lot from his job that he’s just got himself a new job at the Home office in cyber security.
So proud of him and we are helping him move into his new flat on Saturday so it’s all very exciting.

Edited at 07:13 PM.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

DD 17 loves psychology and hoping to do for her degree. It seems to open a lot of doors including teaching and marketing, not just usual psychology based careers
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

I’ve got twins (boy/girl) and my DD’s boyfriend lives with us too. All 20 yrs old.
My DD is a Police Officer, also doing the degree course. Her twin brother is studying Bio Med at Uni and her boyfriend is a Prison officer.
They all did GCSE then BTEC in public services (DD and BF) my DS did 4 Alevels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lit.

We’re incredibly proud of all three of them
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have 3. Eldest DD wanted to do medicine. She was a quiet girl at school, not a lot of confidence. Read a lot from a young age, studied hard. To be accepted for medicine you have to have top grades, have a lot of strings to your bow ie volunteering, DOE etc. DD also worked weekends and in the holidays at a farm shop, so had quite a lot of "extras". Medicine has a high take up from private/independent school pupils too, not that any of our children went to private school. She's now 5 yrs post university and a junior doctor. She literally just bought her first flat in Glasgow and we helped her move on Friday. Very proud of her, she's worked really hard to get there, and still does.

That leaves 2. Both boys. Both taken the apprenticeship route. Eldest left school just before his 16th birthday. He just had basic standard grades. He's a mechanical engineer. Works in the old industry. Bit worrying at the moment. A lot of companies winding down. He bought his first house last year, so quite worrying if he does get paid off. He is hoping to do an open university degree of some kind and possibly go in to renewables.

Youngest has just finished his apprenticeship (maintenance engineer). He stayed on through 6th year, has standard grades and highers. His apprenticeship has literally just finished and he's just starting University, one day a week. I want to say it's design engineering degree of some kind? He still lives at home at the moment.

I'm proud of all of them. They all worked/had part time jobs throughout secondary and all have a really good work ethic, and I know they are all thought of well where they work.

If either of them were still at school and wanted to do engineering I'd be encouraging them to do electricals. Future is renewables.

We did try and persuade our youngest to go in to the Fire Brigade, DH was in the fire service, as was his father and grandfather but he wasn't interested.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

We have a son who this year has graduated with BSc Hons as a Nurse, has managed to get his first choice ward and hospital and is loving his life! He met his girlfriend at university and they are both Nurses.

We have another son in his 2nd year at Medical school training to be a doctor. He managed to get in at his top choice uni too, and currently is enjoying living it up in the very pretty town of St Andrews. Loving his course, and his grades after his first year are equivalent to a 'first' so cannot complain at all. Keep it up!

Our other son, well, he has never embraced academia. He has HNC, HND Mechanical Electrical Engineering but ducked out of Uni (for now! ) and is currently a manager at Mc Donalds.
He, at the end of the day, is very happy with his lot. Buying his first house this year after saving the deposit himself. His girlfriend is also a manager at McDonalds and they have a great life with lots of friends and fun.
We'd LIKE him to go on to Uni but his heart really is not in it, so as long as he is happy, it is his life.

We can lead horses to water but cannot make them drink.

As long as THEY are happy then we are
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

DS1 (26) wanted to do computer animation after school but discovered a course in Ethical Hacking which really interested him, he came out of Uni with a 1st and walked straight into a job that he loves and is now global lead in that company in his chosen field.
DS2 (24) sailed through school but we didn't feel he was suited to Uni. He disagreed and did Astrophysics years 1&2, then repeated year 2 then dropped out. He worked in a couple of different jobs including McDonalds until he got a job in Medical Physics which he loves and is starting an HND funded by his work.
There are many routes to success and happiness.
Old 7 Sep 21, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Thank you all, I'm really enjoying reading these
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List