Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Apr 09, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Planning California for 2010 - Need advice and tips

Hi everyone,

It's mine and my DH's 40th birthday's next year and we've decided to do three weeks in California in July/August to celebrate.

I don't know where to start with the planning so I'd be really grateful if anyone can give me tips and advice on hotels and where to visit. Obviously Disneyland will feature somewhere in the itinerary!

I'm getting excited already and the planning will give me something to focus on as we're not going to Florida this year .

Thank you!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 09, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Places to visit:San Francisco, Carmel, Hearst Castle, Solvang, santa Barbara, Palm Springs, LA, San Diego.

If you can stay in one of the lovely hotels on the waterfront in San Diego, Hyatt or Marriott, I would.

There are some lovely properties to rent on Coronnado Island which is fabulous.

Go on the open top double decker bus tour in San Fran, you see everything!

Palm Springs is soooooooooo hot! Ride the aerial tramway!

Lots to see and do! Enjoy!
Old 1 Apr 09, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post

If you go to Carmel don't miss the toll road drive around the bays and golf courses of Pebble Beach etc. and a drive down the Big Sur coastline is wonderful

Don't forget LA - we enjoyed the Getty museum for the buildings, gardens and setting the light is fabulous there and the scenery is lovely too. If you like sports, it is fun to take in some American sporting events - in July /Aug there will be baseball games on - we also went to a celebrity basketball game. There are some great shopping opportunities there too.

In San Diego I echo the poster above I would really try and stay for at least one night at the Marriott on the waterfront. Also Coronado is wonderful and we also went on an 'Americas cup' sailing yacht and caught a beautiful sunset.

There is just so much to do...

Old 1 Apr 09, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jan_nut View Post
Places to visit:San Francisco, Carmel, Hearst Castle, Solvang, santa Barbara, Palm Springs, LA, San Diego.

If you can stay in one of the lovely hotels on the waterfront in San Diego, Hyatt or Marriott, I would.

There are some lovely properties to rent on Coronnado Island which is fabulous.

Go on the open top double decker bus tour in San Fran, you see everything!

Palm Springs is soooooooooo hot! Ride the aerial tramway!

Lots to see and do! Enjoy!
Brilliant! Thanks Jan I'll look into all of your recommendations.
Old 1 Apr 09, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by squigls View Post

If you go to Carmel don't miss the toll road drive around the bays and golf courses of Pebble Beach etc. and a drive down the Big Sur coastline is wonderful

Don't forget LA - we enjoyed the Getty museum for the buildings, gardens and setting the light is fabulous there and the scenery is lovely too. If you like sports, it is fun to take in some American sporting events - in July /Aug there will be baseball games on - we also went to a celebrity basketball game. There are some great shopping opportunities there too.

In San Diego I echo the poster above I would really try and stay for at least one night at the Marriott on the waterfront. Also Coronado is wonderful and we also went on an 'Americas cup' sailing yacht and caught a beautiful sunset.

There is just so much to do...

Thanks very much for your advice, it's really useful. Our boys love sport, especially Amercian sports, so I'll see what's on while we're there. DH has lots of Marriott points to use up so it will be an ideal opportunity to use them in San Diego. Thank you.
Old 1 Apr 09, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post

I visited San Francisco last year & loved it. There was so much to do & it is very touristy! Have a look at my TR.
Old 1 Apr 09, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post

We have done a number of combinations, we have done San fran , Monterey, LA, San Diego,and fly to vegas in one trip , it was fantastic but a lot of driving. we also done Vegas, Palm Springs and Pheonix and the past 2 years we have done San Diego,Vegas and LA. We love California especially san diego.It really depends on what you want to do and see and how much travelling you want to do. Our favourite family day is going to the San Diego Padres baseball at Sunday lunchtime, where we have hot dogs and typical American stuff and it is fantastic.
Old 1 Apr 09, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
elliemay
Imagineer

hi we are doing San francisco / yosemite / south lake tahoe/ & nappa in just over 160day so will let you know any tips when i get back
Old 2 Apr 09, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by elliemay View Post
hi we are doing San francisco / yosemite / south lake tahoe/ & nappa in just over 160day so will let you know any tips when i get back
Brilliant!
Old 2 Apr 09, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by kerryh View Post
I visited San Francisco last year & loved it. There was so much to do & it is very touristy! Have a look at my TR.
Great, off to read your trip reports now!
Closed Thread