Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 30 Mar 12, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post

OMG went on the site again today and Platinum was back on sale for our dates in August so I... bought them!

Total cost was $518.96 including admission and parking, for me and three teenage kids i.e. about £83 per person... !

Still... pleased that the deed is now done and I don't need to keep looking! And it is slightly cheaper than buying a FOLP ticket at Universal Hollywood so maybe not so bad...

Edited at 11:23 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 12, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
jontybfc
VIP Dibber

jontybfc's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mickiengland View Post
OMG went on the site again today and Platinum was back on sale for our dates in August so I... bought them!

Total cost was $518.96 including admission and parking, for me and three teenage kids i.e. about £83 per person... !

Still... pleased that the deed is now done and I don't need to keep looking! And it is slightly cheaper than buying a FOLP ticket at Universal Hollywood so maybe not so bad...
I bought the VIP pass for Universal, that was an ouch! Can't wait to hear how you get on as I still don't fully understand the passes.
jontybfc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 12, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jontybfc View Post
I bought the VIP pass for Universal, that was an ouch! Can't wait to hear how you get on as I still don't fully understand the passes.
I'm obviously out of my depth here... You won't be buying the Platinum for Six Flags as they do a VIP package there as well!

That'll be $299 each Mr Beckham... !

Edited at 01:35 PM.
Old 30 Mar 12, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
jontybfc
VIP Dibber

jontybfc's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mickiengland View Post
I'm obviously out of my depth here... You won't be buying the Platinum for Six Flags as they do a VIP package there as well!

That'll be $299 each Mr Beckham... !
I'm a gold man for six flags! The VIP was way too much there.

We're going in October so its off peak. When I looked at prices for Universal, it was (roughly) £45 for a ticket and £95 for front of line. I got our VIP for £157 and that includes front of line and free valet parking, lunch and access to a 'VIP lounge' whatever that is.

We won't be going to LA anytime soon after this trip, so I think making sure we can see as much as possible is worth the extra £££££. Not platinum though
jontybfc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 12, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
RedFox
Excited about Disney

Went to Six Flags today.

Used a voucher from Burger King for $25 off entry price per person.
Bought the Gold Flash Passes which were $211 for the 4 of us.
Definitely saved us a lot of waiting in line, but still think they're overpriced. Some rides were walk straight on without FP's though.

It's a good park and the coasters are ace, but Superman is closed until June due to construction of a Dr Doom type ride.

As I said it wasn't as busy as I had expected but the Gold FP's seemed the right choice. Platinum would have been a waste of an extra $140 today anyway. The way the FP's work is quite good too, using the little electronic devices, Q Bots I think they're called?

I'll post some more info on Six Flags when we get back. Only 2 more days left here now
October '02 - Hampton Lakes Villa October '04 - Quality Inn I-Drive October '06 - Virgin Villa @ Hampton lakes October '08 - Virgin Villa @ Davenport Lake August '14 - Dibb Villa @ Highlands Reserve May '19 - Disney Beach Club - no kids! September '22 - High Grove Villas
RedFox is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 12, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
Went to Six Flags today.

Used a voucher from Burger King for $25 off entry price per person.
Bought the Gold Flash Passes which were $211 for the 4 of us.
Definitely saved us a lot of waiting in line, but still think they're overpriced. Some rides were walk straight on without FP's though.

It's a good park and the coasters are ace, but Superman is closed until June due to construction of a Dr Doom type ride.

As I said it wasn't as busy as I had expected but the Gold FP's seemed the right choice. Platinum would have been a waste of an extra $140 today anyway. The way the FP's work is quite good too, using the little electronic devices, Q Bots I think they're called?

I'll post some more info on Six Flags when we get back. Only 2 more days left here now
Look forward to your trippie- especially as to how the Q bots work. Hope you are having a great time out there.

Any idea when the "Dr Doom type ride" is due to open?

Looks like the Burger King vouchers bring the gate price down to same as the online entry price i.e. $36.99.
Old 13 Apr 12, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post

Just seen article on the new ride:

That helicopter hovering near the Interstate 5 freeway early Thursday dangling big metal beams was helping construct Six Flags Magic Mountain’s newest “drop ride,” the Lex Luthor Drop of Doom.

Taking advantage of a break from the rainy weather, the helicopter made a 30-minute visit about 7:30 a.m. Thursday to lift crucial pieces for the ride to the top of the Superman Tower, park spokeswoman Sue Carpenter said.

The two big braces at the top of the 415-foot tower will support workers creating the ride.

Once it opens this spring, Lex Luthor Drop of Doom will be the world’s tallest vertical ride, Carpenter said.

Riders will sit inside floorless gondolas on two vertical tracks that flank each side of the Superman: Escape from Krypton tower.

“It will drop at over 85 mph at over 400 feet,” Carpenter said.

Riders will also experience five seconds of freefall before the 40-story plunge.

And to think that people on the Disney Theme Park thread were talking about how scary Tower of Terror and Dr Dooms Fearfall in Orlando were... !
Old 13 Apr 12, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post

One of the scariest tower drop rides I've been on is the Apocalypse at Drayton Manor - 180ft tall... You really do feel your heart coming up into your mouth!

Doctor Doom's Fear Fall (IOA) is 200ft tall, but I think is far less scary as it shoots you up and then brings you down fairly gently.

Tower of Terror (Disney) is also 200ft and, IMHO, a great ride. Love the way they build the tension... and then the sheer unpredictability of the drop! Brilliant, and fun!

But there is something seriously scary about the new Lex Luthor Drop of Doom at Six Flags... It's a drop rather than one which shoots you into the air. And, at 400ft, it is TWICE THE HEIGHT of ToT and... this is the bit which really scares me... well over twice the height of my greatest fear - Apocalypse!

Would you ride it... ?

Edited at 11:31 PM.
Old 17 Apr 12, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
RedFox
Excited about Disney

I can see Apocalypse at Drayton Manor from my bedroom window! Been on it only once though, but it's good.

Tower of Terror I agree is a fantastic ride. One of my favourites of all time.

But... the scariest BY FAR that I've done is the Big Shot on the top of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas - it was absolutely terrifying, you got the weightlessness and the feeling that you were going to fall from the top of the tower. Unbelievable, and this is from someone who previously had not found ANY ride anywhere really scary. I generally don't have any fear of coasters or rides, but this one changed that

The other Stratosphere ride ran Big Shot fairly close for thrills too - I also got a bit scared on it, it was called X Scream and I rode the front row. It sends you forward and dangles you over the edge of the tower. Madness.

Six Flags was great, but didn't scare me like those two rides. DW took video of me when I did the two rides, so I'll probably get it up on YouTube pretty soon.
October '02 - Hampton Lakes Villa October '04 - Quality Inn I-Drive October '06 - Virgin Villa @ Hampton lakes October '08 - Virgin Villa @ Davenport Lake August '14 - Dibb Villa @ Highlands Reserve May '19 - Disney Beach Club - no kids! September '22 - High Grove Villas
RedFox is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 12, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Lex Luthor Drop of Doom was advertised as opening in the Spring, but they have now changed it to Summer...

Actually sounds like they are planning to "launch" on Memorial Day - 28 May!
Closed Thread