Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Jan 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
H got an email from UCAS this evening and she has a offer from Durham at last. Hurrah! It’s her first choice and the University she had a place for last year so it’s been quite nerve wracking waiting to hear from them this year. It’s conditional - still need a second A* - but that’s what she was expecting. Just need to hear which college she’s got. But I’m thrilled for her - after a lot of disappointment, it’s such a relief to get the offer she wants.
Brilliant news!

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

H got an email from UCAS this evening and she has a offer from Durham at last. Hurrah! It’s her first choice and the University she had a place for last year so it’s been quite nerve wracking waiting to hear from them this year. It’s conditional - still need a second A* - but that’s what she was expecting. Just need to hear which college she’s got. But I’m thrilled for her - after a lot of disappointment, it’s such a relief to get the offer she wants.
Brilliant news! So pleased to hear that Durham has come through I was thinking of her earlier as I posted my passport off to there!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

One of my daughter's friends applied for Oxford and the other to Cambridge and both found out they have not got in. A fantastic achievement though to get an interview. One of them though has gone through her education of always being the best and is not used to rejection.

My daughter is still unsure whether to go to uni or not and is going to look at apprenticeships too. The company my husband works in runs very good schemes where the company sends the Business Apprentices to the University of Hertfordshire to study towards a Business Degree (all funded by the company).

Does anyone know if you can apply for a uni place and apply for an apprenticeship at the same time? If so, if she is successful with an apprenticeship, can she defer her uni place or does she have to decline it after results day?
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
One of my daughter's friends applied for Oxford and the other to Cambridge and both found out they have not got in. A fantastic achievement though to get an interview. One of them though has gone through her education of always being the best and is not used to rejection.

My daughter is still unsure whether to go to uni or not and is going to look at apprenticeships too. The company my husband works in runs very good schemes where the company sends the Business Apprentices to the University of Hertfordshire to study towards a Business Degree (all funded by the company).

Does anyone know if you can apply for a uni place and apply for an apprenticeship at the same time? If so, if she is successful with an apprenticeship, can she defer her uni place or does she have to decline it after results day?
I don’t know about apprenticeships but commiserations to the students disappointed by Oxbridge decisions. It gets harder and harder to get a place, with 4 out of 5 applicants disappointed- most of whom are excellent students who will thrive elsewhere. It’s such an intense process, lasting for months that it’s almost like being dumped after “dating” Oxbridge for so long - I really feel for them.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I don’t know about apprenticeships but commiserations to the students disappointed by Oxbridge decisions. It gets harder and harder to get a place, with 4 out of 5 applicants disappointed- most of whom are excellent students who will thrive elsewhere. It’s such an intense process, lasting for months that it’s almost like being dumped after “dating” Oxbridge for so long - I really feel for them.
My DD’s college did try to push her to apply for Oxbridge. She was sure it wasn’t what she wanted. She felt the pressure of the A levels alone is enough, and wants to concentrate on doing as well as she can without the added pressure of Oxbridge interviews etc. She also looked at the courses in her chosen subject at Oxford and Cambridge and found they didn’t actually study the modules she was interested in. She applied to Russell Group mainly, plus a few others. She has chosen a RG as her first choice and a non RG as her second, but both were chosen because the course suits her, not because they are prestigious (although her first choice is well thought of and highly rated for her subject)

She has friends who have applied to Oxbridge and they are really struggling with the stress.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
My DD’s college did try to push her to apply for Oxbridge. She was sure it wasn’t what she wanted. She felt the pressure of the A levels alone is enough, and wants to concentrate on doing as well as she can without the added pressure of Oxbridge interviews etc. She also looked at the courses in her chosen subject at Oxford and Cambridge and found they didn’t actually study the modules she was interested in. She applied to Russell Group mainly, plus a few others. She has chosen a RG as her first choice and a non RG as her second, but both were chosen because the course suits her, not because they are prestigious (although her first choice is well thought of and highly rated for her subject)

She has friends who have applied to Oxbridge and they are really struggling with the stress.
The process is really stressful - we went through it last year. In the end, I don’t think Cambridge was the right place for H but not getting an offer still hurts at the time. It’s also hard not to fall a bit in love with all the history and colleges etc but they aren’t the only good universities and students will do much better at a place that suits them. If the course suits you and you are happy living & studying there, you will have a much better time and more likely to get a good degree than if you go somewhere you think you ought to.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

The process is really stressful - we went through it last year. In the end, I don’t think Cambridge was the right place for H but not getting an offer still hurts at the time. It’s also hard not to fall a bit in love with all the history and colleges etc but they aren’t the only good universities and students will do much better at a place that suits them. If the course suits you and you are happy living & studying there, you will have a much better time and more likely to get a good degree than if you go somewhere you think you ought to.
O got rejected ages ago but it was always going to be a tall order to get through the maths test when he was studying a completely different syllabus! He wasn’t too disappointed and the fact that he has now had an offer from where he really wanted to go has more than made up for it

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 03:57 AM  
Link to this Post
zokaluse
VIP Dibber

My DS has only just put his application in as he kept forgetting to go to his appointments ... best pull up his pants for this once he’s in uni as Mum won’t be there to sort it out for him!
Choices are, in order ; Bristol, Bournemouth, Anglia Ruskin, De Montford, Portsmouth.
His best friend has applied to oxbridge & imperial, he’s had interviews but no outcome yet.
DS is hoping to hear within a week & has his fingers crossed for Bristol as he liked the area, the faculty, the staff we met were the most passionate & showed a love of the subject by a long way over the others, his Granny, an Aunt & his Gramps are all within 45 minutes of the uni & there’s a direct train to London in 1.5 hours (then another 25 minute train home to Surrey) for visits home.

Will catch up on all posts tomorrow as got a few free hours!
DLP Jan 2014 H Cheyenne & H New York
DLP Dec 2014 Sequoia Lodge
Florida Aug/Sept 2016 RPR/WDW BC/DCL Dream Bahamian 4 night cruise/ WDW BC
DLP Dec 2016 Newport Bay Club
Disney Magic Staycation Cruise Aug 2021

Aug 2023;BC 9 nights WV, AKL 8 nights SV, HRH 3 nights FRCL, CB 2BS, Weeki Watchee 2 nights, Holmes Beach house 8 nights
zokaluse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Good luck to him!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by zokaluse View Post
My DS has only just put his application in as he kept forgetting to go to his appointments ... best pull up his pants for this once he’s in uni as Mum won’t be there to sort it out for him!
Choices are, in order ; Bristol, Bournemouth, Anglia Ruskin, De Montford, Portsmouth.
His best friend has applied to oxbridge & imperial, he’s had interviews but no outcome yet.
DS is hoping to hear within a week & has his fingers crossed for Bristol as he liked the area, the faculty, the staff we met were the most passionate & showed a love of the subject by a long way over the others, his Granny, an Aunt & his Gramps are all within 45 minutes of the uni & there’s a direct train to London in 1.5 hours (then another 25 minute train home to Surrey) for visits home.

Will catch up on all posts tomorrow as got a few free hours!
Good luck to him. My DD has chosen Bristol as her first choice too. She found the course there the most interesting with very passionate students and staff in the Biology department. She also loved the feel of the city, and it’s only 45 minutes from home so close enough to come home for s weekend if she wants.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List