Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Oct 18, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

we were supposed to be going to Manchester Metro open day today, but the weather is hideous so we're staying home instead. So I think thats us, done.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

We were supposed to go to Southampton today but I agree Sammykitten, weather here in South Wales is awful too, so that’s us done 😀

DD has put Southampton on her UCAS list, and if Bristol doesn’t come in with an offer, then we will look more into Southampton. But DD is pretty set on Bristol so hopefully, she won’t need to.

Her personal statement is ready to upload this weekend and college is collecting in her references, so hoping to get application submitted this week before we fly out to Florida next Sunday 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Southampton is on DS’s list! So many things to consider!
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Southampton is on DS’s list! So many things to consider!
We will be the same as you on this one, as it’s on her list but not seen. Our elder son studied at Southampton so we know the area a little and details such as location of campus to city, transport links etc. We don’t know enough about the specific course DD wants there or accommodation but we will check it out more if she does end up seriously considering it. The open day didn’t seem to have many opportunities to look at accommodation anyway, as the brochure only seemed to have one or two locations available to view which was disappointing as we have seen more at other universities.

I know when my son studied there, accommodation was poor and his first year rooms were a long way from campus and needed to catch a bus each time. Possibly this is better now but the literature from the university didn’t appear to offer too much information on this
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
We will be the same as you on this one, as it’s on her list but not seen. Our elder son studied at Southampton so we know the area a little and details such as location of campus to city, transport links etc. We don’t know enough about the specific course DD wants there or accommodation but we will check it out more if she does end up seriously considering it. The open day didn’t seem to have many opportunities to look at accommodation anyway, as the brochure only seemed to have one or two locations available to view which was disappointing as we have seen more at other universities.

I know when my son studied there, accommodation was poor and his first year rooms were a long way from campus and needed to catch a bus each time. Possibly this is better now but the literature from the university didn’t appear to offer too much information on this
The accommodation we saw was about a 15-20 min walk up a long hill from the main campus area - student union etc. DS wants to study history and this building was another 15 min walk away from the main campus so quite a walk for him. Southampton is also on DS list but probably no 3 so far.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

We’re all done now with uni visits. My son is applying for medicine so his uni application had to be completed by this weekend.
He’s chosen Cambridge, Leeds, Newcastle & Manchester for Medicine and a fifth choice of Leeds for Biological science should he not get the A* A* A he needs to do Medicine. 🤞🏻
Just have to wait and see now if he gets any interviews 🤞🏻🤞🏻😅xx
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Mobile

Good luck to everyone putting in their applications 😊.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stardust5 View Post
The accommodation we saw was about a 15-20 min walk up a long hill from the main campus area - student union etc. DS wants to study history and this building was another 15 min walk away from the main campus so quite a walk for him. Southampton is also on DS list but probably no 3 so far.
Thank you, that is really helpful. The accommodation you saw seems to be the same that would have been available to view today which wouldn’t be ideal for DD either. Unless the course had been amazing I don’t feel DD would have put this higher on her list either so quite pleased we didn’t venture out this morning now 😀
Old 13 Oct 18, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
rhyger
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We're just getting going on the personal statement after attending a few open days but i must say I'm at a loss how to advise ds with it. Have read the UCAS guide but I've got blank paper panic 😢
rhyger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Mobile

Just on our way back from Royal Holloway. The campus is stunning (especially in the sunshine which we lucky to have) with a mix of Grade 1 listed building a state of the art library.

Completely different experience from Coventry last week.

My daughter is now confused between RH and Lincoln. We are going to go back to Lincoln and see what she thinks of that now.

We liked that it was in the city centre, whereas RH was a bit out from Eagham centre.

We are also going to visit Winchester in December. .
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List