Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 8 Jan 17, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
hollie1992
Trading Disney Pins

Gluten Free at WDW/Universal - Nov/Dec 2016

Hi Everyone!

I've always wanted to do a food report but I always forget to take pictures. This was my first visit since I had been diagnosed with a gluten allergy and I was a little worried but I didn't need to be. I ate better than I do at home haha.

This report just includes gluten free food.

Hope you enjoy!
hollie1992 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 17, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
hollie1992
Trading Disney Pins

Frankie & Benny's Manchester Airport

We came here for breakfast before the flight as I was worried the plane food wouldn't be very good and I didn't want to go hungry. I had a ham and cheese omelette with bacon. It was really good!

hollie1992 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 17, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
hollie1992
Trading Disney Pins

Virgin Atlantic flight

I was really unsure what the food would be like as I had tried looking online but couldn't find any information so I brought a lot of my own snacks in case. I didn't even need my snacks as the food was surprisingly good and better than the regular menu (for me anyway).

The main meal was chicken and sweet potatoes and green beans which was really nice. I didn't bother with the salad or bread that came with it as the meal was very filling. I was disappointed with the dessert choices which were apple chips and this raspberry jelly which was very sour. It was a Gu dessert on the regular menu which was gluten free anyway (white chocolate and raspberry) so I don't understand why this isn't offered instead.

The afternoon tea was very nice and again better than the regular option. It was a chicken and pomegranate wrap, crisps and a caramel chocolate bar.

I didn't get any food when we arrived as I was full from the plane food.
Old 8 Jan 17, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
hollie1992
Trading Disney Pins

Ohana Breakfast

I loved it here. I had specified my allergy when making my dining reservations so they were all aware.

As soon as we were shown to our table the chef came over and said he would make me my own separate food which was all safe.

I was amazed when it came out, there was so much and it all looked really good. The waffles were the best and I've been craving them ever since. There was also fruit that came out for the table but I was the only one eating it.

Contempo Cafe - Lunch

I wasn't really hungry after such a big breakfast so I just had some fries from the quick service at the hotel. I didn't take a picture (sorry)

Wolfgang Puck Express - Dinner

They don't have an allergy menu here but the cashier asked what I fancied and he would speak to the chef and see if they could do it. I had the half roast chicken and mashed potatoes (minus garlic butter as this has gluten in) and frozen yoghurt for dessert.

Sorry no picture again. (I get better I promise!)
Old 8 Jan 17, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
hollie1992
Trading Disney Pins

Most days I had breakfast in my room as we had ordered from Garden Grocer before we arrived. I had Gluten Free Cinnamon Crunch cereal.

Mama Melrose - Lunch

We came here for the Fantasmic package so we got 3 courses. They even brought out gluten free bread for me which was still warm and really tasty. There wasn't a lot of options for the starter so I went with the mixed green salad which was ok. I had the Penne alla Vodka with gluten free pasta for my main which was the best pasta I've ever had - it was so good! I had the flourless chocolate cake for dessert which was just ok. I think it had been frozen as it was still very cold.

Backlot Express - Dinner

I had the gluten free chicken tenders here. They were ok but a little plain. I just put lots of mayo on them. I had a gluten free chocolate brownie for dessert which was really nice.

Old 8 Jan 17, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm glad you were able to eat well you've made a great start with breakfast at ohanas

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 17, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
hollie1992
Trading Disney Pins

Breakfast was cereal in my room today again.

Rainforest Cafe - Lunch

They don't have a gluten free/allergy menu here. Instead, the server gets the chef to come out and discuss the menu. He said they could make pretty much anything gluten free apart from pasta dishes so asked me what I fancied. I chose the steak which came with mashed potatoes and broccoli with cheese. It was really good! There were only 2 dessert choices for me and which was sorbet or cheesecake. I went with the sorbet as I was quite full from the steak. The sorbet was ok, it had real fruit pieces in which was nice.

Terra Treats - Snack

They have a kiosk in Animal Kingdom which only sells gluten free snacks which I though was great as the dessert options are very limited as quick service places. I decided to get cinnamon doughnuts. They were really nice. I saved them for later and ate them in my room.

Electric Umbrella - Dinner

We decided to go to Epcot for something to eat tonight. I had a bacon cheeseburger on a gluten free bun. I asked for a fruit cup instead of fries but they gave me both by mistake. I chose gluten free cookies for dessert but I just ate the fruit and took the cookies away with me. They are in my kitchen now still uneaten so I can't tell you if they are nice or not

Old 8 Jan 17, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
hollie1992
Trading Disney Pins

Sorry there aren't many pictures for today. It was my birthday and we mostly ate at buffets which are hard to take pictures of.

Breakfast was cereal in my room again.

Crystal Palace - Lunch

I thought I would really like it here as I usually like buffets and have been before for breakfast (when I was eating gluten). It was really awkward. The chef came and showed me around the buffet to tell me which food was ok for me to eat. She did it really quickly and was just like you can have that not those 3, that bit is ok. I was just really confused so just stuck to meat and mash. She said she could make me some gluten free brownies or cookies for dessert and she would come back later to see if I wanted any. She never came back so I just had some ice cream instead. Then, because it was my birthday, the server brought a little cupcake with a candle and sang happy birthday. I thought that was really nice until she said you can't eat the cake it's got gluten in. I gave it to my sister. I would have been nice to have a brownie or something though instead. I think if I was a child I would be a bit disappointed.

ABC Commisionary - Dinner

I had such a bad experience here I had to complain the next day as it really upset me.

We were going to the Jingle Bell Jingle Bam dessert party tonight so I just wanted something light to keep me going. I decided to just get a salad. First I asked the lady who was handing out menus for an allergy menu. She just told me to wait in line for the cashier and they will get me one. This was a bit strange as they always tell you to get one first so you don't hold up the queue. I finally got to the front and I asked the cashier for an allergy menu. He gave me one and then went off somewhere. He came back 1 minute later and snatched the menu back out of my hands and said no this isn't the right one. He said I had to wait for the chef which was fine I didn't mind that. He then took my buzzer and started serving other customers whilst I waited. The chef was really nice and pointed out which items he could do gluten free. I just chose the salad as I wasn't very hungry and knew we were eating later. I had to wait for 3 more customers to be served before the cashier even looked at me. I ordered just a salad, no drink or dessert. I scanned by magic band to pay and he took one of my dining plan credits. I explained I just wanted to pay. He didn't even give me a chance to say I wanted to pay. He had to get the manager to refund the credit and then I paid with my band. I took the buzzer to the table and waited for the food. Three people came over to bring it to me until the chef suddenly said "wait, that's not gluten free" and took it back. The cashier hadn't added the allergy when I ordered. I was really shocked by this and a bit scared to eat it when it came back out.

This was the only bad experience I had the whole time at Disney and I would go back there and give them a second chance. I think it was just the rude cashier.

Old 8 Jan 17, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen1512
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Loving this thank you. I've ordered a gluten free meal for our Virgin flight in August so great to see what it might be. Will be following with interest 😃
Old 8 Jan 17, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
hollie1992
Trading Disney Pins

Jingle Bell Jingle Bam Dessert Party

Sorry I didn't take any pictures as there wasn't much to take a picture of and the lighting was really bad as it was inside due to rain.

I added the allergy when I booked but it didn't really look like they had a note of it. I spoke to one of the people serving food and they went off and came back with a little carrier bag. It had a gluten free brownie, a packet of crisps and a Hersey's bar of chocolate. I was really disappointed that I had spent a lot of money and this was all I got. I couldn't eat anything off the buffet. I don't know if all dessert parties are the same or if it was just this one but I think I would avoid them in future if that is all you get (I was glad I had the salad earlier!).