Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 27 May 22, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
Are the Dvc points still attracting same prices or are people lowering them to get people in
£17 a point is now fair I’d say.
Old 28 May 22, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Quite a few reasons I can think of to sell:

Lovely sum of cash right now which could buy other things
Change in circumstances
Unaware / can’t be bothered to rent
No intention of returning to WDW in the future and perceived / actual ongoing cost of annual dues is an irritant / unwelcome
If the purchase was an emotional one the selling may also be

I read somewhere that the average length of DVC membership is seven years, if I was thinking of selling over the next few years and I had a 2042 contract I’d be definitely thinking carefully about it. At the current exchange rate it would be a very nice amount, and there are only 20 years of value left on those contracts (as things stand).
Agree with these points, being 30 years into the original 50 year contracts feels like the right time to sell, we go back and forwards on it all the time, but ultimately just aren't ready to give up the 11 month advantage at BCV.

We keep talking about buying a villa in Lanzarote as visit fairly often and would love to have one at our disposal that we'd set up, so selling the DVC & another asset would make sense in order to do that, but we just can't bring ourselves to part with those original BCV contracts!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

I have my points and wouldn't think of selling tbh. I'm happy to use them for good quality accommodation even if I decide not to go back to the parks next year. I am thinking of moving my trip later in the year to avoid the Spring breakers which are running into Easter now. I like holidaying in the States and if that changes going forwards I'll consider renting out. Ideally I'd like more points so that when I do retire I can go for a longer trip or two trips but I can't see me buying more points unless the price really drops.
unixgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by unixgirl View Post
I have my points and wouldn't think of selling tbh. I'm happy to use them for good quality accommodation even if I decide not to go back to the parks next year. I am thinking of moving my trip later in the year to avoid the Spring breakers which are running into Easter now. I like holidaying in the States and if that changes going forwards I'll consider renting out. Ideally I'd like more points so that when I do retire I can go for a longer trip or two trips but I can't see me buying more points unless the price really drops.
This is why we may hang onto ours. We have almost 400 so in say, Feb we could get nearly a month in a studio at SSR in retirement. Could tag on trips to Vero, or even Hilton Head which will be warmer than here but not pool weather, but I think it’s 6- 10 points a night or so in Winter so could literally live in Hilton Head for 2 months!
Old 28 May 22, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
This is why we may hang onto ours. We have almost 400 so in say, Feb we could get nearly a month in a studio at SSR in retirement. Could tag on trips to Vero, or even Hilton Head which will be warmer than here but not pool weather, but I think it’s 6- 10 points a night or so in Winter so could literally live in Hilton Head for 2 months!
Sounds like a great plan. I think if I wanted to go for longer I'd bookend a stay elsewhere with DVC. So maybe go to the Gulf Coast or even down to Miami /Fort Lauderdale.
unixgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by unixgirl View Post
This is us, we're really not fussed about heading into the parks and are only going this trip because DD's BF is coming with us and he's never been before. We have enough points for long stays at BLT and shorter concierge stays at ALK and would probably choose to visit in September which is the lowest points use. We also like to include a Vero stay and a cruise as well which breaks the trip up. If I didn't go for a year I'd bank points for a longer stay and either use them all or rent them out. I offloaded my OKW (non extended) points as I felt the value was diminishing in those but will hang onto BLT and ALK as they're both places we love staying.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 22, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
We are currently in a 1 Bed at SSR and to be honest we are lost in it!
The washer dryer is brilliant. The dishwasher I put on every day for 4 mugs, 2 glasses and a plate!

However we just don’t need the space and would never consider using Points for one. But it was have one or lose Points so no choice.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 22, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

We had a 2 bed at SSR when I went with my family and loved it - tbh I'd love a 1 bed just for me, makes it feel more like a holiday home. I stay in hotels a fair bit with work (or used to, it's picking up again now) and I just prefer having proper kitchen and separate bedroom. Blooming expensive in points though.
Old 29 May 22, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

I got rid of my 170 SSR last year
Just kept 40 BWV and 77 BCV

I was sick of the annual dues every year

These small contracts suit me- especially as I stay at Universal for a time now.
Old 29 May 22, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
We are currently in a 1 Bed at SSR and to be honest we are lost in it!
The washer dryer is brilliant. The dishwasher I put on every day for 4 mugs, 2 glasses and a plate!

However we just don’t need the space and would never consider using Points for one. But it was have one or lose Points so no choice.
I would always love a 1 bed but when it’s just myself and Mrs YT Tom as you know we will go for points maximisation and a month a year in the sun in a studio! With the family now I wouldn’t want to stay in a studio for more than a few days as we like the space, but agree it’s probably overkill for 2.

The 4 nights in the 1 bed Grand Californian in August is costing us 220 points or about $1650 in dues. Bloody expensive but then I think it’s about $1500 a night in cash, plus tax, plus parking so it’s a quarter the price, and we will probably only go once. And as you know we are not going to WDW this Xmas after the experience last time, so I have Vero booked in a 1 bed for 3 nights at Xmas which is a much more reasonable 86 points and I am still banking 80 odd.

Edited at 08:01 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List