Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 May 22, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Used Car Prices

So as some of you are aware, my little car was stolen mid-April (and subsequently found).

The insurance company have today informed me that it is being written off so I’m awaiting a settlement figure.

Due to us going away in Summer, we are thinking of holding off until we return before buying a car.

Used car prices are currently astronomical. 🙈 Does anyone who works in the industry have any prediction on whether they’ll drop anytime soon? Or more worryingly, that they’ll rise even more?

Thanks.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Essex Benjy's!
Imagineer

My opinion is they’re starting to drop slightly now. It’s a supply and demand issue of course. Even if the insurance company are writing your vehicle off you can still keep it ( buy it back ) and get it repaired if you choose to. You should be pleasantly surprised at how little you will have to pay for it.
I haven’t read about your vehicle or any damage but always worth considering ( I’ve done it ).
As for the original question nobody can truly know the answer I’m afraid
Essex Benjy's! is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Essex Benjy's! View Post
My opinion is they’re starting to drop slightly now. It’s a supply and demand issue of course. Even if the insurance company are writing your vehicle off you can still keep it ( buy it back ) and get it repaired if you choose to. You should be pleasantly surprised at how little you will have to pay for it.
I haven’t read about your vehicle or any damage but always worth considering ( I’ve done it ).
As for the original question nobody can truly know the answer I’m afraid
Thank you. 👍🏻
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel85
Getting Excited

Mobile

My husband is a car salesman for bmw and as far as I can tell, there are still major issues woht sourcing new cars due to the microchip shortage and also wiring harnesses (as a lot come from Ukraine). Therefore I wouldn’t expect second hand prices to start dropping until new car availability improves, and that is still a big issue at the moment.

With regards to buying back the car from insurance company, it can obviously be done but I think it would then be classed as a write off and may be more difficult to sell in the future.
Ariel85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

There's a 15 month waiting list for the new car I want so I looked at nearly new and they are more expensive than the new ones.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

Bought mine in July 2021 for £13300, just drove past one six months older on the forecourt for £15k
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

I think we are seeing small drops now . More related to the impact of cost of living prices and people scared to buy and commit to long term expenditure

New car supply is still very poor which is counterbalancing . Some new cars predicted to come 2nd half of the year are now expected next year , so no immediate end .
When / if there is a glut of new cars on the market , as mentioned above that’s when the used cars will hit their main dip.
But I do wonder if a lot of people who ordered new cars months ago will be cancelling
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

DS just passed his test and the same car that we paid 1200 for when DD passed had cost 3 times as much!
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Thanks all. Maybe I’ll have to wait a little longer.😬
Old 28 May 22, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Rossi_Fan
Earning My Ears

We bought our 20 plate car last year for £17k with 1,100 miles on the clock. Looking just now at the same dealer, an identical model but a 69 plate with 10,500 miles on it is £18k. Prices are not coming down as far as I can see.
Rossi_Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List