Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 16 Jun 17, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile BA strike

Aarrgghh...frustrated at today's news on BA cabin crew strikes. Anyone know what contingency plans they are likely to put in place? Fly Aberdeen to Heathrow, then to Vancouver on 1st July (1st day of strike) and back from Calgary to London on 16th (last day of strike). All routes flown by Mixed Fleet crew that are striking. I think the domestic flight may be in most danger as try to keep the long hauls. Don't want to lose any days as was looking forward to Canada fireworks on 1st and got a concert booked in the 2nd with hotels all booked for fly drive.
Guess have to sit back and see what happens over next couple of weeks...but don't need this hassle!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 17, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
How frustrating. I'm sorry I don't know anything about this but I will ask my brother in law who is cabin crew for BA... hopefully the talks will be resolved before the strike dates.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 17, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Some press I read yesterday said that all routes would still run but I don't know if this is just rubbish and that's not a possibility. Don't think BA can afford this right now, they are already in tatters. Hope it's sorted for you and anyone else flying with them.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 17, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridafan1903 View Post
Aarrgghh...frustrated at today's news on BA cabin crew strikes. Anyone know what contingency plans they are likely to put in place? Fly Aberdeen to Heathrow, then to Vancouver on 1st July (1st day of strike) and back from Calgary to London on 16th (last day of strike). All routes flown by Mixed Fleet crew that are striking. I think the domestic flight may be in most danger as try to keep the long hauls. Don't want to lose any days as was looking forward to Canada fireworks on 1st and got a concert booked in the 2nd with hotels all booked for fly drive.
Guess have to sit back and see what happens over next couple of weeks...but don't need this hassle!
If the previous strikes are an indication, they will only publish plans a couple of days before the strikes start. You are right that Aberdeen could be affected, it has been on previous strikes, but by no means all the flights, maybe one or two per day. It's not impossible that they will cancel a long haul, but they do everything to avoid this.

It is not all of Mixed Fleet striking, only those in Unite union (though other unionised MF members may not work). BA has a lot of ground staff trained as cabin crew for the express purpose of breaking strikes, and the previous strikes have had limited impact on flights (at quite large cost to BA), not sure if it will be different this time as it is summer (less spare crew lying around, harder to charter in aircraft from outside) and this possible strike is a long one.

However, it may not happen at all, the only real advice is to sit tight, though you could call BA and ask about starting in EDI or GLA if those are options. Not sure if they are allowing rebooking like that as yet. It is also possible for non-MF routes to be affected as they move people around to cover.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 17, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Liz Paul
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
We are in the same boat. Fly out from Glasgow on the 1st July to Gatwick overnight there then off to Orlando on the 2nd
Old 18 Jun 17, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Liz Paul View Post
We are in the same boat. Fly out from Glasgow on the 1st July to Gatwick overnight there then off to Orlando on the 2nd
You will be fine. Gatwick has its own crew and they aren't striking so your Glasgow to Gatwick and then Gatwick to Orlando will be fine. As an aside I think you are wise having an overnight stop giving you contingency just in case of operational issues.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 17, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
According to my brother in law there are 1500 mixed fleet cabin crew who could strike. However this is only a fraction of the 13000 crew employed by BA. I'm sure you would want more of a guarantee than working out the odds, so it's probably not much consolation but it's likely that many flights would go ahead.

I hope you get away ok on your holiday.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 17, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
If the previous strikes are an indication, they will only publish plans a couple of days before the strikes start. You are right that Aberdeen could be affected, it has been on previous strikes, but by no means all the flights, maybe one or two per day. It's not impossible that they will cancel a long haul, but they do everything to avoid this.

It is not all of Mixed Fleet striking, only those in Unite union (though other unionised MF members may not work). BA has a lot of ground staff trained as cabin crew for the express purpose of breaking strikes, and the previous strikes have had limited impact on flights (at quite large cost to BA), not sure if it will be different this time as it is summer (less spare crew lying around, harder to charter in aircraft from outside) and this possible strike is a long one.

However, it may not happen at all, the only real advice is to sit tight, though you could call BA and ask about starting in EDI or GLA if those are options. Not sure if they are allowing rebooking like that as yet. It is also possible for non-MF routes to be affected as they move people around to cover.
Thanks for the replies. I guess just have to wait out 10 days or so and are what happens. Of course to avoid losing any of holiday would drive to Edinburgh or Glasgow. Although as arrive back in UK on 17th after strike don't want to fly back to ABZ and car in EDI! Don't know if they would consider flying us down on 30th and hotel overnight if 1st flight at risk. Options with other airlines also available from London, Amsterdam, Paris etc so sure we'll get there somehow just don't like this late uncertainty!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 17, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

The whole thing is horrible. We are in the same boat. And it has happened before to us.
So we have simply made the decision never to use BA again.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List