Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Jul 07, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post

complimentary upgrade

Hi
has anyone ever had a complimentary up grade on the cruise , we have booked a cat 9 cabin but was thinking I would like a verandah . if no up grade available does anyone know the cost
Baz
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 07, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
rylisal
Imagineer

I think it depends wether you've booked an actual stateroom number or a 'GTY' type.
We booked a Cat 12 last Feb & actually got a Cat 10 when tickets arrived!(These are very similar but 10 is bigger)We'd booked 'GTY' which means you will get the Cat. you've selected or better.
So we've booked that way again for our next cruise..All the staterooms are lovely so nothing to lose really!
As for the cost to upgrade, I guess you'd need to contact whoever you booked it with..Think i'd just 'hope' if you're 'GTY'!
Miami 1991(honeymoon!),Quality Inn Int Dv 1992,Buenaventura lakes Villa 1993,Quality Inn Int Dv 1995,Quality Inn Int dv 1997,Days Inn Lakeside 2000,Masters Inn Maingate 2002,Ramada Plaza MGate 2004, Liki Tiki Feb 2007 & Disney Wonder Cruise,DLP Feb '08,Terre Verde,DCL & Indian Shores Oct '08,Canada Aug09,June/July '10 CP & RPR, Feb/Mar '14 Mystic Dunes, Unversals RPR & POR, June/July '16 Florida road trip Sept '18 DLP!
rylisal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 07, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

From what I understand there is absolutely no logic, or formula to predict if will get a complimentary upgrade.

Holding a gty is not necessarily any better chance of gettting one - Disney offer gtys when all available cabins have been taken for that cat. prior to final payment date.
What happens is, just before the final balances are due, tons of people either cancel, since they were only holding rooms 'in case' they wanted to go (and will get their deposit returned in full), or move their cruise dates as they are more certain of their holiday plans.
So at this point in time, a whole pile of staterooms become available again which DCL will then reassign according to who is on the gty list.
If there are more people on the gty list that they then have rooms for, on that cat., then this is when people get bumped up - but this is just as likely to happen if you have already got an assigned room # for that cat., as if you were booked on a gty.

Beware though, these free upgrades can come at a price - we originally booked a gty 12 and were "upgraded" to a cat10...all very nice we thought , till we realised it was under the ship's nightclub . DCL do not recognise 'noisy rooms' and with a gty you have to take what is allocated.

We ended up paying to upgrade ourselves to a cat.9 - which I'm very glad we did !

Always best to book what cat. you would be happy with, rather than putting your faith in getting an upgrade.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 06:32 PM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 07, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
rylisal
Imagineer

Having only cruised once i guess we only have our own experience to go by...I'm still happy to go with GTY although I can see where you're coming from as regards the night club...Did you actually stay in that room 1st & then move?
I suppose there will always have to be someone in a noisey room although I must say we didnt hear anything luckily & slept really well!
Miami 1991(honeymoon!),Quality Inn Int Dv 1992,Buenaventura lakes Villa 1993,Quality Inn Int Dv 1995,Quality Inn Int dv 1997,Days Inn Lakeside 2000,Masters Inn Maingate 2002,Ramada Plaza MGate 2004, Liki Tiki Feb 2007 & Disney Wonder Cruise,DLP Feb '08,Terre Verde,DCL & Indian Shores Oct '08,Canada Aug09,June/July '10 CP & RPR, Feb/Mar '14 Mystic Dunes, Unversals RPR & POR, June/July '16 Florida road trip Sept '18 DLP!
rylisal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 07, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rylisal View Post
...Did you actually stay in that room 1st & then move?
I suppose there will always have to be someone in a noisey room although I must say we didnt hear anything luckily & slept really well!
No, I checked the stateroom reports on DU and read about the problems on there - I tried to see if they would swap our room but it was a no no.

In the end, just the thought of it was really spoiling my looking forward to our trip, let alone the trip itself... so I decided to pay the extra (about £350 I think) to upgrade for peace of mind. It turned out to be well worth it - our new cabin was very quiet, at the very forward end of the ship. No noise, plus the daylight too - worth every penny in the end.

That said if the cat.10 had been in a decent location, I would have not really minded the lack of daylight on such a short cruise, since we had such a good price for the gty 12 .

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 07, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mandymouse
Serious Dibber

Hiya

We've been lucky enough to have had 2 complimentary upgrades. We have done 5 cruises now, and we were upgraded on our 2nd cruise from a Cat. 9 to a Cat. 6 and then on our 4th cruise we were upgraded from a Cat. 6 to a Cat. 5 (which was basically the same room but on a higher deck)

On both occassions DCL rang us to inform us of the upgrades

HTH

Mandy

mandymouse
mandymouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 07, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread