Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 9 May 17, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

Mobile Paris Itinerary (No Disney!) - Opinions Please

I will be travelling to Paris for a few days at the end of August with DDs who will then be aged 10 & 17 (both have birthdays earlier in August so plenty of shopping on the agenda!). We will be spending a night in London first so that we can catch an early Eurostar and then have 3 and a half days in Paris. This is my 1st attempt at an itinerary and I would welcome any input.

Is it all doable in the time we have available or am I trying to cram in too much? Are there any must dos that I've missed? Are things in a sensible order? Any suggestions for the best use of the morning that we go home or recommendations for places to eat - child friendly and not too expensive, we're happy to buy snacks and eat outdoors if the weather is good.

Mon 28th August

Train to London - arrive at Euston Station 12.50pm.

Check in to Premier Inn London Euston.

Afternoon spent shopping around Oxford St. & Covent Garden.

Dinner at Maxwell's Covent Garden. Approx 6pm - need to book - this has become our London tradition, DDs love their "Freakshakes"; I prefer the cocktails!

Tickets booked for 7.45pm performance of Mamma Mia at the Novello Theatre.

Tuesday 29th August

7am Eurostar from St Pancras.

Arrive Gare du Nord, Paris 10.17am.

Metro to Mercure Paris Opera Louvre. Check in and dump bags.

Walk to Galeries Lafayette for more shopping and see the dome.

Walk past the Palais Garnier Opera House (time to go in?) and on to the Tuileries gardens. Grab something to eat whilst relaxing in the gardens (suggestions required for where to buy food).

After lunch carry on walking via Place de la Concorde and up the Champs Elysees to the Arc du Triomphe.

Metro to Trocadero for the obligatory "post card" photos of the Eiffel Tower. Then go up the Tower (hopefully about sunset) - need to book.

Metro back to hotel. Dinner near hotel - any ideas?

Wednesday 30th August

Morning - Montmartre (walk or metro?)
Want to - see the Moulin Rouge
- go inside Sacre-Coeur
- take in the views of Paris
from the top of the hill.
- visit the Place du Tertre
- spend some time
exploring the area and
taking in the atmosphere
Suggestions for somewhere to eat in Montmartre?

Afternoon - Head back towards the river exploring some of the Passages Couverts en route.

Cross the river at the Pont des Arts and visit Notre Dame. Climb bell tower (need to book tickets)

Visit Luxembourg gardens. Eat whilst relaxing in gardens (any suggestions for food near by?)

Return to hotel (Metro?)

Evening - take advantage of Wednesday's extended hours to visit the Louvre (need to book tickets).

Thursday 31st August

Take Metro to Versailles. Spend day exploring palace and gardens (need to book tickets).

Evening - Seine River Cruise (need to book)

Friday 1st September.

? Any ideas?
Thought maybe just leave this free for a wander down by the river (or more shopping!) and a last look round or do any of the other days need splitting up?

We need to be back at Gare du Nord by about 1.30pm.
Old 9 May 17, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

I'm not a big fan of detailed holiday planning but I like this itinerary - a good mix of places and these are places I would go.

I do like the trip to the Sacre Couer and the views on a clear day.

I don't know if they still do them but you used to be able to buy books of metro tickets (carnet?) to save money.
Old 9 May 17, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
I'm not a big fan of detailed holiday planning but I like this itinerary - a good mix of places and these are places I would go.

I do like the trip to the Sacre Couer and the views on a clear day.

I don't know if they still do them but you used to be able to buy books of metro tickets (carnet?) to save money.
Thanks, are the carnet tickets a better buy than the Paris Visite Pass? I was considering ordering these online but not sure how much use we'd get from them. I would like to walk as much as possible but it will depend on the weather and how much energy the kids have.
Old 9 May 17, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by ally1966 View Post
Thanks, are the carnet tickets a better buy than the Paris Visite Pass? I was considering ordering these online but not sure how much use we'd get from them. I would like to walk as much as possible but it will depend on the weather and how much energy the kids have.
Sorry - I can't answer the better value question. I have walked around Paris quite a bit and enjoyed the walk so I agree with you on this.

Whatever happens enjoy your trip!
Old 9 May 17, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Actually one place I would recommend is the Pompidou centre...a quirky museum to say the least!

Some pictures here
Old 9 May 17, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

Mobile

Actually one place I would recommend is the Pompidou centre...a quirky museum to say the least!

Some pictures here
Thank-you, I had considered fitting the Pompidou Centre in after Notre Dame on the Thursday but thought that doing that and the Louvre on the same day might be a bit much for the girls. Could be a good use of Friday morning though!
Old 9 May 17, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Thank-you, I had considered fitting the Pompidou Centre in after Notre Dame on the Thursday but thought that doing that and the Louvre on the same day might be a bit much for the girls. Could be a good use of Friday morning though!
I completely understand - sometimes it's worth keeping places in the back pocket in case you change your minds or get bored with shopping (really? Did I just type that?!)
Old 9 May 17, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

Mobile

I completely understand - sometimes it's worth keeping places in the back pocket in case you change your minds or get bored with shopping (really? Did I just type that?!)
I don't think that they would ever get bored of shopping, that's why it's a girls only trip - it would drive DH mad. At least by timing it for just after their birthdays it will be their own money that they are spending rather than mine!

My plan is to (craftily) intersperse the shopping with a bit of culture and site seeing so that they get a flavour of the city. We've done similar with London and New York and it seemed to work well.
Old 9 May 17, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

I don't think that they would ever get bored of shopping, that's why it's a girls only trip - it would drive DH mad. At least by timing it for just after their birthdays it will be their own money that they are spending rather than mine!

My plan is to (craftily) intersperse the shopping with a bit of culture and site seeing so that they get a flavour of the city. We've done similar with London and New York and it seemed to work well.
Why do I get the feeling you have this well and truly sorted ? !
Old 9 May 17, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
phoebe23
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Good itinerary - Galleries Lafayette has a terrace cafe overlooking the Opera House. I love Phantom of the Opera so HAD to go inside - fantastic! A box door was left open so we could peep at rehearsals - salons to die for and that staircase - FABULOUS!
phoebe23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List