Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 13 Jun 17, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
The Durrigan's
VIP Dibber

Question Suggestions for places to stay in New York please.

Hi all you lovely knowledgeable Dibbers.

So if you haven't heard already we are heading back to Orlando next year...21/06/2018 to be exact and I was hoping to surprise everyone (DW, DD1 + DD2) by booking a 3 night stay in New York.

Firstly I'd like to get your opinion on something please, do we go to New York first and then travel down to Orlando or do we go to Orlando and visit New York on our way home?

I'm also looking for advice on somewhere to stay, a place that will not break the bank but that is nice, clean, comfortable and is within a reasonable distance to Time Square...to be honest any advice or references on somewhere to stay would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Jimmy

Southern Dunes 1997, Rodeway Inn on I-Drive 1999, Rosen Plaza on I-Drive 2003, Tivoli Manor 2007, Windsor Hills Resort 2008, Dibb Villa Sunridge Woods 2009, Espirit 2010, Highlands Reserve 2013, Dibb Villa Lindfields 2015, Dibb Villa Sunridge Woods 2018, Dibb Condo Bahama Bay Resort + Disney Swan 2019
The Durrigan's is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 17, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Hi

We stayed at the Distrikt Hotel. It was really nice, the staff were friendly and the location was central.

Would be happy to stay there again.

In terms of order I would rather do the busyness of NY first and then Florida, which even though it can be full on is probably more relaxing than NY.
Old 13 Jun 17, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Finn family
VIP Dibber

Finn family's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Hi firstly I would 100% recommend going to New York first as we have done both ways - and when visiting New York after Florida, due to it being so busy and fast, we came home feeling exausted like we hadn't even been on holiday - so yeah do New York first then Florida!
Also we stay in Staybridge Suites. The location is near to times square, not too expensive and also, the rooms are a little bigger as New York hotel rooms are small! A bonus too is that they provide free food and drink (including alcohol) on an afternoon.

Hope this helps
Current trip report:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1233648

Edited at 09:27 PM.
Finn family is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 17, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We did this and stayed at the Staybridge suites. The room was a good size for 2 ad and 2 ch. breakfast was included and also there was some evenings when you could grab a snack
Old 14 Jun 17, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
The Durrigan's
VIP Dibber

Thanks folks, really appreciate your input. Both hotels mentioned so far look great and you really have me thinking strongly about going to New York first...please keep the suggestions coming, the more the merrier

Southern Dunes 1997, Rodeway Inn on I-Drive 1999, Rosen Plaza on I-Drive 2003, Tivoli Manor 2007, Windsor Hills Resort 2008, Dibb Villa Sunridge Woods 2009, Espirit 2010, Highlands Reserve 2013, Dibb Villa Lindfields 2015, Dibb Villa Sunridge Woods 2018, Dibb Condo Bahama Bay Resort + Disney Swan 2019
The Durrigan's is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 17, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Hotel Metro was lovely, and is positioned in the next block to ESB and Macy's. Was about a 10 minute walk up to Times Square
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 17, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
We are hoping to do this trip in 2019 and I was thinking of doing NY last. My reasoning was several fold.
a) The early starts before becoming acclimatised I think are better suited to Orlando (or, perhaps, the late nights more suited to NY)
b) The flight home will be shorter
c) There are more flights home to choose from so you can get one at a better time of day (not necessarily the Red Eye from Florida). This is particularly useful as we have a significant drive when we get back to UK.

Having read the earlier posts I'm beginning to doubt my reasoning.
Old 14 Jun 17, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

We stayed in the W on Union Square was v nice and you could sit in the square in the evening and watch the world go by
Old 14 Jun 17, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

We've stayed in the Distrikt and also the Belvedere. Would stay in either again.
Old 14 Jun 17, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
The Durrigan's
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
(a) The early starts before becoming acclimatised I think are better suited to Orlando (or, perhaps, the late nights more suited to NY)
To be honest Burgmeister this is/was my way of thinking too, I thought it would be easier to get over the jet lag in Orlando and make the most of the early mornings. I also fell that once our time would be up in Orlando we would still have our time in New York to look forward to.

Then I think what about baggage allowance, how would our allowance be for the Orlando to New York flight if we done it on the way home. I'm sure we'd not have as much allowance compared to a long haul flight...is this right?

I'm still undecided

All the hotels mentioned so far are great too...thanks.