Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 14 Jun 17, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Lisbon and krakow

Not at the same time but looking for a short break for three nights in August. I fancy Lisbon DH is thinking Poland but is concerned about the weather. The climate when researching says not that warm in August with a generous amount of rain. Anyone got experience of krakow weather?
Has anyone been to Lisbon and got any advice please?

Edited at 06:47 PM.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 17, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Lisbon is a lovely city, we did a three day city break there in Sptember 2015. We are currently on a two week road trip in Northern Portugal and the weather is boiling (35 degrees for the past few days and forecast for 37 at the weekend). We're heading down to Cascais, near Lisbon next week for a few days.
You can't go wrong with Lisbon, it's a compact walkable city (some hilly bits) and has excellent public transport - and for a European capital city, it's relatively cheap.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 17, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Lisbon is a lovely city, we did a three day city break there in Sptember 2015. We are currently on a two week road trip in Northern Portugal and the weather is boiling (35 degrees for the past few days and forecast for 37 at the weekend). We're heading down to Cascais, near Lisbon next week for a few days.
You can't go wrong with Lisbon, it's a compact walkable city (some hilly bits) and has excellent public transport - and for a European capital city, it's relatively cheap.
Great thank you. Nipped into town this afternoon and got a guide book for Lisbon.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 17, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Ha! I laughed when you mentioned the public transport. I rave about their metro system to anyone that will listen, (I work in a bureau and get word vomit when someone tells me they are off to Lisbon) and I get some very odd looks.
My maternal side is from Lisbon and I have been more times then I can count or remember, it's such a wonderful city, but if you get the chance, leave for the day and head to Sintra, it's a fairytale.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 17, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Mobile

Agree that a day trip to Sintra is a must - very easy and cheap to do by train.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 17, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

We went to Lisbon simply because our favourite band were playing, and they almost never do that, and the UK tour dates didn't work for us. Plus it was cheap compared to London.

So we literally just went for the concert, not expecting to be excited by Lisbon. But wow, we loved it! Really beautiful, great architecture, wonderful squares, fantastic food and drink and so cheap.

We went to Sintra too - easy on the train - and walked all the way to the top. That burnt a few calories

So in summary, go!
Old 14 Jun 17, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Brilliant I am convinced!
Next question. I'm looking at where to stay is there an area that is better. There seems so much choice and my guide book isn't great!
Old 15 Jun 17, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I've just posted on another thread about Krakow so won't repeat here but it's amazing. I got back last week. The weather was incredible! It gets very hot in July and August.

It's a beautiful and interesting city so would definitely recommend it! I think you've decided on Lisbon but definitely go to Krakow in the future!
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 17, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by birdiesX4 View Post
Brilliant I am convinced!
Next question. I'm looking at where to stay is there an area that is better. There seems so much choice and my guide book isn't great!
I would definitely be looking around avenida, it's the Main Street in Lisbon, (hard rock cafe is there, bonus!) but you'll be within walking distance of everything and a couple of steps from 2 metro stations, and rossio (train station from which to catch the train to Sintra) is right around the corner. Chiado and barro alto are nice too, but can be loud at night. We stayed down by the big sea front square (praca comercio) and loved the hustle and bustle every morning.
Old 16 Jun 17, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post

Edited at 01:03 PM.