Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 9 Jul 07, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
fastpass2disney
Excited about Disney

Cruise at End or Beginning of Holiday?

Okay - I really wish I hadn't looked at this forum as I now have to go on DCL!

We're going to WDW in Feb - firstly is this a good time weather wise? Last Feb it was a bit chilly in Orlando, what will it be like cruising?

Also, should we tag this on to the beginning or the end of the holiday. Dates around Presidents Week look horrendous but I'm not sure about arriving and then going straight on a cruise. What has worked best for you?
Old 9 Jul 07, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
jentill
Imagineer

jentill's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 11
First of all, you will love the Disney Cruise. I know it is my first in Sept, but I am just so excited about it and really looking forward to being pampered and eating some amazing food.

As for when to go, we have put ours (4 night) after our 2 weeks in WDW, giving us a chance to recharge the batteries and slow down the pace of living before coming back to 'normality'!
jentill is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 07, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We will be cruising for the first time next summer and the cruise is right at the end of our holiday with 1 day in Orlando afterwards before we fly home. We were tied to certain dates so that's how it worked out for us but if I was booking again I'd probably do it towards the end but with more time in Orlando afterwards. I'll be interested to hear what others have done.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 07, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Personally, I would prefer to cruise at the end of the holiday, on the basis that the cruise will allow you to relax at the end of the holiday, after a frantic week or so at the parks.
There's also a part of me that likes to save the best for last !

We flew home on the same day the cruise ended (normally a pretty safe option because you are off the ship and on the road by 9am on the day). I personally quite liked this because it meant we didn't have to find the money for another lot of accommodation, nor have to unpack & pack yet again.
It also has the advantage that you (and your kids, if you have some) should sleep well on the plane home, as you are up at 5.30am on the ship the last morning (you have to report to immigration at 6am if you are not a US citizen )

However, my partner felt it was such a downer leaving the ship (which it is I'm afraid ) that he found it an even bigger downer to be going home as well ! So next time we are going to have a couple of nights in Orlando after the cruise, just to chill out at a hotel - we won't be doing the parks then as it is President's Weekend, and they will be chocca-block.

Yes, President's Week will be a more expensive time to cruise - as any US holiday period will be, but I would go then, if I could, because the parks will be busier that week, and if I had the choice I'd do the parks the week before, when they are much quieter... then escape the crowds on the Disney ships where numbers are limited.
Also the later you leave it February, the better the chances of good weather. Cruise weather in November, December, January & February is probably more variable than the rest of the year ...hence the generally lower prices (holiday periods excepted).

We cruised at the end of Feb last year (2006)- appart from a dull day as we left port, and the first night being very rough (which it often is crossing the Gulf Stream anyway) - the rest of the cruise weather and sea wise was perfect (as you can see from the picture below) !...hence we are going again next Feb.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 01:54 PM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 07, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sdf
slightly serious Dibber

Hi - we are the same! Once we looked at the DIBB we had to book the cruise aswell. As for when to do it we have gone for the end of the holiday. As someone else has said we think it will be a bit more relaxed after the theme parks. Enjoy!
sdf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 07, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
We are doing our first cruise in Sept, I chose to do ours at the beginning of the trip, mainly because I dithered so much deciding whether I wanted to do a cruise or not, that this was the only time we had to fit a cruise into our plans.

We arrive 3 days before we go on our cruise and then when we get back we have a further 2 weeks at WDW etc.
Old 9 Jul 07, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lilack View Post
Dates around Presidents Week look horrendous but I'm not sure about arriving and then going straight on a cruise. What has worked best for you?

Just being nosey, but did you look at prices from the DCL website... or with a UK travel agent ?... because the former is much cheaper than the latter.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 07, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I'd do it either in the middle or toward the end. I wouldn't personally choose to do it at the very end, as Judy says it can be really depressing to fly home immediuately after such a wonderful cruise!

Feb should be a great time to go though, the carib is warmer than Florida usually, and with the sea breeze you'll get a great tan! Even when we cruised in december we had beautiful hot weather on the cruise

Let us know if we can help any more
Old 9 Jul 07, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
fastpass2disney
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by jdybnsn View Post
Just being nosey, but did you look at prices from the DCL website... or with a UK travel agent ?... because the former is much cheaper than the latter.
I had a look on the DCL website just to get an idea of prices really. I was quite shocked by how much they went up into Presidents Week. I'm not absolutely fixed on dates but would like half term to form part of our holiday so that children don't miss too much school. Now thinking maybe go Presidents Week for first week (I know it will be busier but we managed fine last year with a TGM plan) and then cruise second week.

I would also like to buy an AP for WDW this time and look to go beg of Feb 2009 to make the most of it. Don't suppose you get any discount with an AP for DCL do you?

The other time I'm looking at is October 2008 to tie in with half term - also my 40th.
Old 9 Jul 07, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lilack View Post
I had a look on the DCL website just to get an idea of prices really. I was quite shocked by how much they went up into Presidents Week.
We are lucky - our Feb half term is earlier next year ; 8th - 18th Feb 2008, so we are flying out 1st Feb and coming back 18th Feb , with the cruise booked for the last week.

The only problem being that our last weekend is President's Weekend, but we will have already done the parks the first week of our trip.

Sounds a good idea about the AP though (I'm tempted to get one too for my DH2B, who hasn't got tickets yet)... however, as far as I'm aware you don't get any discount for the cruise with these - you never know though, this could change in future

Closed Thread