Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Aug 07, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Exclamation Help - changing my mind about DCL wedding !

Don't worry I haven't changed my mind about getting married - just whether or not to do it on the cruise !

I was totally set on our cruise wedding... until I found out about this place in Grand Cayman (which is one of our cruise stops), and who also do complete wedding packages for smilar prices to DCL ...

grandoldhouse

I haven't paid a deposit for the wedding with DCL yet, so I'm not committed on that score.

The thing that really has me dithering about the DCL cruise is that technically you have to get married before you leave the port (kinda takes a bit of the romance out of it)...the thing that makes me sway back towards DCL is that if we do the wedding on Grand Cayman, that's probably all we will do that day..we won't get to see much of the island as we are only there till 4.30pm (at least our DCL wedding will take place on a day at sea).

Just don't know now ..anyone care to comment.

... PLEASE !

PS I haven't told the DH2B yet...but he will most likely be unhelpfully easygoing either way. There will only be me, DH2B and my 2 kids in attendance - so no one else to consider.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 08:30 PM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 07, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Flo
Imagineer

I think I'd do it on the cruise otherwise as you say you won't get chance to do an excursion on shore. I bet Disney will make your wedding special onboard. Best wishes what ever you decide.
Flo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 07, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Depend on what cost.

But I think Flo give you her point of view.

Are you planning at Castaway, if so, as it is a beautiful place too.

I am sure you will have a lovely day with Disney too.

Scottishwee35
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 07, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

The cost is around the same (so that doesn't help !) - though you do get quite a bit more with the Old Grand House package ...open horse drawn carriage, complete choice of decor, all photos, flowers, etc.

We did want to have it on Castaway Cay initially, but it was already promised to a couple who were unable to make the ship this year (due to food poisoning at a WDW resort !)...so it was kind of second best (though cheaper) anyway...

I'm soooo undecided

here's my list FOR the DCL wedding;
- it will be on the 14th Feb
- it will mean we have a full day to explore Grand Cayman (though we don't intend to do any organised excursions)
- it will be very low key
- there will be a few on board perks -ie. we are guarenteed to get a table in Palo on the 14th Feb, will get any spa/ beauty treatments booked when I need them for the big day, the day will be organised and planned for me.

here's my list AGAINST the DCL wedding;
- having to get technically married before leaving port in the terminal building (not very romantic is it )
- there is very little wedding decoration on the deck for the event (if any - think you have to bring your own !)
- it will be comparatively short, and very much less chance to put our own stamp on things.

Oh, and the other thing I did think about was, that we could always go back to Grand Cayman to celebrate our anniversary

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 07, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Omg Judy what a choice!

I'm probably not going to be much help to you as I'm the world's worst decision maker I'm afraid...

I can see what you mean about the DCL wedding as that put me off, having to marry in port first. As you say it kind of takes out the magic in a way.

I love the look of the GC wedding, although I suppose there's always a very outside chance the cruise may be redirected to other ports or something ( I'm playing devil's advocate here I know)...would it be very difficult to arrange?

I think DCL is by far the easier option, but GC looks more beautiful given that you can't marry on Castaway Cay, which would be the perfect choice of course

If you marry on GC you could have a wonderful 1st anniversary cruise on Magic and dine in Palo, have the couples spa etc... of course if you marry on DCL you could cruise to GC for your anniversary instead...decisions decisions!

Told you I'm no help! We opted in the end to marry at home then cruise for our honeymoon

Good luck!
Old 2 Aug 07, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Hi Judy

Oh, it look hard decision now.

As both sound good too.

Scottishwee35
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 07, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Ohhhhhh Lordy Judy what a difficult descision to have to make! I just had a good read over whats offered at Grand Old House and its a brilliant package, very personal, and a gorgeous setting.
Im not sure if a DCL wedding would be easier, GOH looks like they will have everything arranged for you with their own wedding planner, they obviously deal with cruise ship passangers an awful lot going by what the web site says.

The biggest thing that would put me off the DCL wedding is the ''paper service'' in the terminal, I would feel like that was the actual wedding, stood there in my shorts and trainers with my roll on cooler and masses of kids running round excited etc and that the ship service was just a sort of ''blessing'' it would feel all a bit fragmented and I would worry that the whole thing would feel a bit of a let down and not the romantic vision of how I wantd things to be. (I had no idea you had to do the official wedding before boarding) I am sure though that if you do go with the DCL wedding they will do everything possible to make it a magical day for you.

If all you were going to do was have a bimble around Grand Cayman and there was nothing there that you particularly wanted to see then I dont think it would be a wasted port trip, and you can always go back for your anniversary and explore the island a bit more

Taking everything into account I think I would be inclined to book with GOH, their package looks far superior, the setting is breathtakingly beautiful, you will be actually married on the day you exchange your vows, and you will be able to personalise the service etc a lot more than with DCL

Good luck in making your choice, Im sure whatever you decide to do its going to be gorgeous

Edited at 02:23 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 07, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Eeek - just had an email from DCl asking me to confirm our reservation

Going to have to make that decision soon now...

DCL price = $2500

Top Notch Package OGH on Grand Cayman = $2600
(and we don't need some their services they are quoting for)

Its going to be a tough call ...

Old 4 Aug 07, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
I have just looked at the GC Judy an have to say it looks lovely.

What a tough choice.
Old 7 Aug 07, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
rylisal
Imagineer

What you decided?
Its tough as they both sound really lovely...Go with your 1st instinct!
Miami 1991(honeymoon!),Quality Inn Int Dv 1992,Buenaventura lakes Villa 1993,Quality Inn Int Dv 1995,Quality Inn Int dv 1997,Days Inn Lakeside 2000,Masters Inn Maingate 2002,Ramada Plaza MGate 2004, Liki Tiki Feb 2007 & Disney Wonder Cruise,DLP Feb '08,Terre Verde,DCL & Indian Shores Oct '08,Canada Aug09,June/July '10 CP & RPR, Feb/Mar '14 Mystic Dunes, Unversals RPR & POR, June/July '16 Florida road trip Sept '18 DLP!
rylisal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread