Old 5 Aug 14, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Alison
Excited about Disney

Alison's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Having a Whale of a Time Day 4 - Disney Wonder Alaska 2013

Wednesday 21st August - Glacier Watching with Pluto

(This day starts off quite slowly but gets very picture-heavy later on!)

All this fresh Alaskan air must be doing us good – despite the fact that the clocks went back an hour, we were still woken by the alarm at 7.15. Today was the day we had been most looking forward to – our day in Tracy Arm! Even better, it was going to start with our character breakfast in Parrot Cay. This was the first time we had had a character breakfast on board ship as they only do them on the longer cruises, so it was something to look forward to.

As we headed down to breakfast, we could see that people were already staking out spaces on the outside decks, even though we were a good couple of hours away. We didn’t worry – everything we had read told us that there would be plenty of chances to see everything and this was certainly true.

We arrived at Parrot Cay to be greeted by our head waiter, Kerry-Sean. We saw a lot of him this trip – I think it was partly to do with the other family at our dinner table; all the wait staff really put themselves out to make sure we didn’t find it too awkward. Anyway, after a rapturous greeting from him, he took us to our table to meet Barbie and Russell. No notes on what we had but I can guarantee there would have been coffee, pancakes and bacon somewhere in the mix! Actually, now I think about it, Stephen may have had chocolate chip pancakes? Can’t remember!

Minnie! by makingplansfor, on Flickr

As the characters came round, there was lots of chat and laughter, as well as special napkin hats all around! Stephen was Captain Jack Sparrow, I was Esmeralda (we think?!) complete with tea cups for earrings and Russell made Nigel a special Russell (from Up!) hat and neckerchief.

Goofy! by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Mickey! by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Russell by makingplansfor, on Flickr

We went back to the cabin to freshen up and then picked up some hot chocolate. Stephen headed off to the Edge and to explore the arcade, while Nigel and I headed back to the theatre for another nature lecture – this one was on how glaciers are formed and specifically Tracy Arm. It was very interesting and gave us lots of tips on things to look out for.

As we came up on deck, it was getting noticeably chillier but not really cold – we went back to the cabin to put on jumpers but that was all that we needed at the moment. On the way, we spotted more whales – no photos, alas!

We had a wander around the ship, looking for where we thought would be a good spot for viewing. Everyone was really chatty and friendly, making room at the rail so you could look over but, to be honest, there was plenty of room for everyone and it didn’t really matter where you stood – the views were majestic everywhere. There was also no need to get to a rail really early – the day’s journey took a number of hours and there was plenty of time to see everything.

We started off on the comfy loungers on deck 4 but soon began to get a bit colder so it was back to the room for more layers!

And relax ... by makingplansfor, on Flickr

We stood on deck 10 for a bit, right at the front of the boat. This was the busiest place at the moment as you got the view heading in to the Arm but, again, everyone was really pleasant.

Mist by makingplansfor, on Flickr

DCL by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Mountains by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Tracy Arm by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Barbecue smells started wafting through – they were cooking out in the open air. We decided to get some food now so that we could settle down and enjoy the scenery. Not sure exactly what we had but I think there was steak, salmon and burgers, as well as lots of salad in Beach Blanket Buffet.

Time for hot chocolate by makingplansfor, on Flickr

We decided to settle for the afternoon on Deck 10 and enjoy the wondrous scenery and views as we headed in to Tracy Arm and approached the glacier.

Him by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Blue waters by makingplansfor, on Flickr

As if all this wasn't special enough, there were so many wonderful little touches - crew members wandering around with hot chocolate to keep you warm and cosy blankets stacked alongside the towels.

Waterfall by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Misty mountains by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Stephen wandered around, enjoying it from all different viewpoints and coming back to tell us what he had seen from the other side and different decks, inevitably bringing some sort of foodstuff for us all to share!

Alaskan view by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Needing a warm up by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Rolling mists by makingplansfor, on Flickr

A little snack by makingplansfor, on Flickr

This is one of my favourite shots – who eats ice cream at a glacier?! Even he admitted it was a little chilly …

Ice cream? At a glacier? by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Funnel by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Beautiful waterfall by makingplansfor, on Flickr

DCL waterfall by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Some brave folk were even swimming today – brrr!

Mickey pool by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Up on deck by makingplansfor, on Flickr

There were plenty of characters wandering around the deck, along with various photo opportunities such as a picture frame and a porthole.

Chip and Dale by makingplansfor, on Flickr

This is one of my favourite shots – I didn’t see another photo like this in Shutters! Pluto pulled us over to the railing and was pointing to the beautiful view.

Sharing a moment with Pluto by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Sharing the view by makingplansfor, on Flickr

As we approached Sawyer Glacier, icebergs became more evident both water and ice were that distinctive blue colour.

Alaskan mountains by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Blue glacier by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Iceberg by makingplansfor, on Flickr

While we had been sailing through the Arm, the naturalist who had done the lectures was doing a commentary but that was switched off as we approached the glacier because of the high number of seals.

Sawyer Glacier by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Glacier by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Not the greatest picture but all those little black dots are seals and their pups.

Seals by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Top deck by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Approaching the glacier by makingplansfor, on Flickr

I think this is my favourite shot of the glacier.

Glacier calving by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Apologies for so many photos – it is so hard to do justice to this spectacular view.

As the ship began to turn around, the deck really emptied out. We decided to head down to deck 4 for a different viewpoint.

There were more characters out here, too!

Donald by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Goofy by makingplansfor, on Flickr

We decided to go inside for a bit but had a slight delay at the lifts – they were bringing up a huge lump of glacier ice! I love the expression on the little girl’s face in this shot. I think we found out later that she was in our Fish Extender group.

Glacial ice in lift by makingplansfor, on Flickr

They took it up to the pool area so that we could see it in close detail throughout the cruise.

Glacial ice by makingplansfor, on Flickr

We had a bit of wander around the shops – Stephen bought a totem pole of the characters and I bought a scrapbook kit. Nigel bought a beer! We headed back to the room and had a bit of a rest and then there was an announcement that the captain was going to stop by the waterfall. And that’s literally what he did – he reversed up and parked in a corner of the fjord, as if he were parking in Sainsbury’s!

Waterfall from above by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Us by makingplansfor, on Flickr

We got ready for dinner and headed for our second meal in Triton’s. The other family turned up and were a bit more talkative this evening, so that was good – although they were mostly incredulous at how we could live in such a small, crowded country! I had escargots followed by the beef tenderloin, Stephen had tomato and basil soup and roasted duck breast and Nigel had duck confit and beef tenderloin. No notes as to what we had for dessert – Stephen is not a big pudding eater at the best of times but I am pretty sure that Barbie brought him a Mickey bar anyway!

Stephen had a raspberry smoothie at each meal – this came with a maraschino cherry on which he always passed over to me. Russell had spotted this and today, when he brought Stephen’s smoothie, he also brought me a dish of cherries and did so at every meal. 

We went and delivered some of our fish extender goodies and then Nigel and Stephen went to the show in the theatre – it was a comedy musician. I didn’t really fancy it so went to Shutters to have a look at the photos and then went back to the cabin and read my book until they came back. They had quite enjoyed it but it had been a long day and we were all soon ready for bed – we had an early excursion tomorrow.

Teddy by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Edited at 08:40 AM.
Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 14, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Wow, absolutely stunning photos. What an experience!
Old 6 Aug 14, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

Sorry not commented before. Fab report and wonderful photos. Love the photo with Pluto

Thinking of doing Alaska next year
Old 6 Aug 14, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I am so enjoying your report. Your photos are breath taking. Had never really considered it before but you sure make it tempting! Thank you for taking the time to share.
Old 6 Aug 14, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
plutofan1
Imagineer

Mobile

Dh could be tempted to do a Disney cruise - to Alaska
Think I would struggle getting him to do a different one
plutofan1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 14, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
plutofan1
Imagineer

Fantastic photos
And thanks for sharing
plutofan1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 14, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilly80
Imagineer

Mobile

Really made me relive our day at the glacier. Love your character photos, that was my one regret of the day that we didn't get any that day.
Golden Triangle Trip Report
Chilly80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 14, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
OK, so now I am truly jealous! DH has just priced it up ... I'm saving now!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 14, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Rossalino
Apprentice Imagineer

Loving this report - look forward to reading more
Rossalino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 14, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Shopperholic
Trainee Dibber

Fabulous photos Alison, really making me look forward to our Alaska cruise next year. Any tips on photographic equipment to take. Anything you were very glad you took or anything you wish you had been able to have. As i want to start using my camera in preparation and may ask Simon for some equipment for birthdays etc so i'm all prepared.

Natasha and i intend to follow Stephens lead and have an ice cream there too.
Shopperholic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List