Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Jan 16, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mole83
Serious Dibber

I'm papping my self about the diving if im honest, Probably nothing to worry about once I get going but its just the thought of all these different laws/rules. What if I brake one! ahhhhhhhh
Mole83 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 16, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
joe 70
Apprentice Imagineer

I was the same TBH to the point of not getting the car hired till two weeks before we went in December , one of the busiest times , secretly hoping there would be none left to hire!
Just take it easy and at your pace ,do your research ,be prepared with the tips on here and you will relax into it.Think it helped that I didn't pick up from Airport first time so I could do short trips for shopping etc to get used to it in first day or two but after driving back to Airport to drop off now feel totally at ease about picking up at Airport on our next trip in August.
2018 Aurora Villa Virgins/PBH
2019 POR Here we come!
joe 70 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 16, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
JosephDrums
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Is it obvious when you aren't allowed to turn right on a red light? Where abouts will the sign be that says 'no turn on red' etc?
And to make sure the traffic isn't coming at you from the left is it common for US drivers to creep forwards or is this frowned upon?
JosephDrums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 16, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
katie
Imagineer

It is obvious when there is no turn on red as there is a sign on the pole below the lights. It is supposed to be no right turn when there is a red flshing light too - some people wait but some don't. Usually a local from behind you will sound his horn if it's OK to go. There is not usually anyone creeping forward at the lights and they take ages to change so that the crossing will be clear when you cross. It is an offence to stop over the white line at a crossing and so most people will stay behind it. The big intersections can mean quite a wait if you just miss a green light but you get used to that. The road markings are quite clear these days which is also a big help when you're not sure which lane you need to be in.
Old 13 Jan 16, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
joe 70
Apprentice Imagineer

Now I wondered why there could be 4 or five feet between the car next to me and the thick white stop line whereas I was always right up to it.I agree surface road markings at junctions make it easy to get in the correct lane and have to say that I experienced much less bad driving there than I do here.
2018 Aurora Villa Virgins/PBH
2019 POR Here we come!
joe 70 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 16, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
dexdis
Trying for More Ears

dexdis's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Always come to a complete stop before turning right, in fact be over cautious all the time, the police won't accept a 'sorry officer, I didn't know', they expect you too. But again, in three visits, six weeks of driving, I don't think I ever needed to turn right against the lights, but best practice is always be cautious.
dexdis is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 16, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by joe 70 View Post
Only downside of driving over there is having to get used to tiny parking spaces again back here!
There is another ! The nerve-racking drive out of Gatwick airport down to the M25 - people speeding, aggressive, not letting you in/out etc. Give me the I4 every time.

It's natural to be nervous but give it a good go and you will soon enjoy the experience and also the extra freedom and flexibility it gives you.

PS find out which side of the car the petrol cap is and how to open it before you go to fill up !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 16, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
PS find out which side of the car the petrol cap is and how to open it before you go to fill up !
To add to that if you forget, usually the car will tell you if the fuel light appears on the dash.

If the light appears on the left hand side of the instrument cluster on the dash then usually the petrol cap will be on the left side of the car, and same with the right. Some cars the light appears in the middle so it's then a guessing game
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 16, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
JosephDrums
Earning More Ears

I think if you look closely at the petrol light, there is a tiny arrow on which ever side your cap is.. Have a look on your own car, its there
JosephDrums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 16, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread