Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Jan 16, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Car Hire

Hi

Was wondering if someone can help me. I don't really know much about car hire but wanted some advice on the quote below which seems a very good quote to me but I wanted to make sure that we were fully inclusive, don't want to turn up and be asked to pay more insurance etc. Can someone check it over for me? I was told about the Alamo Brits car hire webpage but their prices seem extortionate but I know everything is fully included.

Thank you in advance.

Hyundai Elantra
or similar

Intermediate
• 5 Passengers
• 4 Bags
• 4 Doors
• Automatic Transmission
• Air Conditioning
Supplier:

Rating:
Very good
7.1 /10
Included for Free
• Cancellation
• Amendments
• Theft Protection
• Collision Damage Waiver
Plus Your Hire Includes:
• Unlimited Mileage
Car hire fee
£ 469.48
£ 411.88
Only £ 19.61 per day
Upgrade to one of these packages
Save on GPS, any additional drivers, and fuel costs by choosing one of the following packages
Damage Refund Insurance – Great Value, Best Protection, and Peace of Mind

When you pick up your car, the car hire supplier will hold a deposit or excess amount on your credit card. You are liable for this amount (up to €3,000) if you damage the car, the car is stolen, or you lose your keys. However, if you tick the box below, we will refund your deposit or excess amount in full.

Yes, I want to reduce my liability to £0 for only GBP 83.79 and I have read the Terms and Conditions.
If you want to reduce this potential liability to £0, be sure to tick the box above.
• Great value – Eliminate potential liability of up to €3,000 for just GBP 83.79.
• Best protection – In the event of damage or theft to the car and you are required to pay the excess, it will be fully refunded.
• Peace of mind – You are fully covered for your excess when things go wrong.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 16, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Sorry I dont like it and you are not properly covered. Who is it with?

1. No Supplementary liability Insurance included. That is a must!
2. Heck of a lot to pay for zero excess on any bump, scratch etc.
3. If their rating is 7.1 out of 10 thats poor
4. Seems expensive as well

Maybe not what you want to hear but I hate to see people exposed

Edit. Just had another look and I note that there is no airport user fee, taxes, tire disposal fee, battery disposal fee etc etc included. These amounts add a lot on.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 02:24 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 16, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

I'm with Sheriff Tom - this looks more like a European hire where you need to buy the excess as an add on which you shouldn't have to with a fully inclusive rental bought in the UK for the USA.

Who is this with ? I just booked my hire for August with Alamo via Expedia and cashback.

Prices are pretty high at the moment - I have been told this is due to high demand due to increased visitor numbers and also we have a dire exchange rate atm
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 16, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you to you both really grateful. It was with Argus Car Hire I got the quote through. Wish I had booked at the beginning of January with Alamo Brits as it was about £200 cheaper all inclusive.

Do you think I should leave it a little longer or just book something now? We have booked a package holiday through Thomson which says free car hire but I no this will be the smallest thing ever and won't have any insurance was wondering also whether to upgrade at the airport.

Thanks for your help.
Old 15 Jan 16, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kl03 View Post
Thank you to you both really grateful. It was with Argus Car Hire I got the quote through. Wish I had booked at the beginning of January with Alamo Brits as it was about £200 cheaper all inclusive.

Do you think I should leave it a little longer or just book something now? We have booked a package holiday through Thomson which says free car hire but I no this will be the smallest thing ever and won't have any insurance was wondering also whether to upgrade at the airport.

Thanks for your help.
Believe me if you try to upgrade the car and insurance at the desk you will be taken to the cleaners.
I would just bite the bullet and hire in the UK from a company that includes all the insurance. You can see what Thomson will charge but probably another company will be cheaper.
Old 15 Jan 16, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
As above, totally agree

OP What are your dates please and how many in your party?

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 16, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post

We arrive 25 March and depart 15 April (21 nights in total), 2 adults and 2 children (aged 3 and 10).
Old 15 Jan 16, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Mmm.

Virgin Atlantic. Intermediate £507.63
Alamo Brits. Intermediate £737.15
Usrentacar - Dollar. Intermediate £653.39
BA - Avis. Intermediate £815
Expedia - Budget Standard £736

I think in your situation I would bite the bullet and book now with Virgin Atlantic. Fully Insured, no extras, 2 x drivers, Alamo car so no desk to go to and you pick your own vehicle.

Old 15 Jan 16, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post

You are a star, will go and look now. Don't mind £500 ish just thought £700 ish was too much. I'm so glad I posted on her now not really been on it. Will have a good look through The Dibb Forums now. Cheers
Old 15 Jan 16, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by kl03 View Post
You are a star, will go and look now. Don't mind £500 ish just thought £700 ish was too much. I'm so glad I posted on her now not really been on it. Will have a good look through The Dibb Forums now. Cheers
If you get stuck please come back. Plus others will be on later as opposed to me and Greyfriars who are retired!

Closed Thread