Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Jan 16, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Worrypenny
Getting Excited

Worrypenny's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thank you for the advice. Hubby says that as we're only going for a week and staying on property, we wouldn't use a full tank to return empty. The only other thing we worry about is how to use the gas station as we've heard you have to pay before you fill. How do you know how much fuel to pay for? If you over pay, can you go back in to the shop get change?
Worrypenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 16, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnny Sparrow
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Worrypenny View Post
Thank you for the advice. Hubby says that as we're only going for a week and staying on property, we wouldn't use a full tank to return empty. The only other thing we worry about is how to use the gas station as we've heard you have to pay before you fill. How do you know how much fuel to pay for? If you over pay, can you go back in to the shop get change?
Just pop in & explain and you'll be fine paying after you fill it.
Old 17 Jan 16, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

Yes, just pay over what you think it will be then get change afterwards
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 16, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Johnny Sparrow View Post
Just pop in & explain and you'll be fine paying after you fill it.
I have never seen that happen in 17 trips to Floride. It has always been pay upfront, say 30 dollars, and the pump either stops at 30 dollars, or as tops when full if less value. You then go back into garage and collect change.
Which gas stations did you get to do that?
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 16, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post

The problem with pre-pay (IMHO) is that if you use more than a tank you're going to need to fill up anyway... So then you fill up thinking "I don't want to return it with too much fuel" and might end up re-fuelling more than once to "half fill".

I prefer to just return full and fill up at Jetport Drive (J8 on the way to MCO).

It's about time the car-hire companies just charged normal fuel rates + $10 fee - I'm sure then everyone wouldn't bother to re-fuel and the companies would still be quids in.

That's the kind of blue-sky thinking Walt would have done. And probably thrown in a free Dole Whip!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 16, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by misterh View Post
The problem with pre-pay (IMHO) is that if you use more than a tank you're going to need to fill up anyway... So then you fill up thinking "I don't want to return it with too much fuel" and might end up re-fuelling more than once to "half fill".

I prefer to just return full and fill up at Jetport Drive (J8 on the way to MCO).

It's about time the car-hire companies just charged normal fuel rates + $10 fee - I'm sure then everyone wouldn't bother to re-fuel and the companies would still be quids in.

That's the kind of blue-sky thinking Walt would have done. And probably thrown in a free Dole Whip!
Last May Alamo Charged me 2 cents a gallon more than the Racetrac on the 192. I chose the prepay. My choice of course, no right or wrong way to do it.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 16, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnny Sparrow
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
I have never seen that happen in 17 trips to Floride. It has always been pay upfront, say 30 dollars, and the pump either stops at 30 dollars, or as tops when full if less value. You then go back into garage and collect change.
Which gas stations did you get to do that?
I did it last year, went in and as soon as I started speaking the guy just said pay when you've filled up, twice in 2 different petrol stations, 1 in Orlando and 1 in Clearwater, I can't remember which ones they were. (Edit, I think thanks to the above poster the one in Orlando was racetrac as that sounds familiar).
Old 17 Jan 16, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
WB72
Imagineer

This. Faffing about trying to work out how much fuel to put in each time so I take it back empty is ridiculous when I can take about 2 minutes filling up on the way back to the airport
WB72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 16, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WB72 View Post
This. Faffing about trying to work out how much fuel to put in each time so I take it back empty is ridiculous when I can take about 2 minutes filling up on the way back to the airport
Fuel is so cheap out there I just return the car with what is in it, say 1/4 tank or less, by the end of two weeks driving I know how far the car can go on a tank full. No, wait a minute, I use the trip computer that tells me how much range is left, and the sat nav that tells me how far away the airport is. No faffing, just technology.
If I leave say two gallon in the tank the loss of around four dollars is no big deal on a 6k holiday.
Old 17 Jan 16, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
WB72
Imagineer

Fuel is so cheap out there I just return the car with what is in it, say 1/4 tank or less, by the end of two weeks driving I know how far the car can go on a tank full. No, wait a minute, I use the trip computer that tells me how much range is left, and the sat nav that tells me how far away the airport is. No faffing, just technology.
So I am running low on fuel and have 4-5 days left. This fancy trip computer knows exactly where I am going for the next 4-5 days and works out how much fuel I need?
WB72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread