Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Nov 16, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

I believe that you can change trains at Reading and then go direct to Gatwick thus possible avoiding any Southern Trains issues. Its been a while so it would be best to check it out first.
Old 16 Nov 16, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Apprentice Imagineer

We are from South Devon, We have done Driving staying over night at premier inn, Great going, Awful coming home as was so tired and traffic was awful took hours.
We have flown when Plymouth airport when it was open up to Gatwick would always go up night before and stay over we loved this option and this would always be our first choice, Just so gutted Plymouth no longer do flights to Gatwick.
This year we done the train, Great going up, But coming home we was tired, We had delays, Had to sit just over an hour on the platform, But it was better than driving.
If you can afford the extra for the flight from Newquay this would be the option I would chose, It really is so easy.

We go back in 2018, We are hoping that the Thomson flights will be a regular thing from Bristol and hope to fly from there, If not I think we will fly from Exeter to Manchester and fly from there. As dont think I could do the train or car again.

Edited at 10:44 AM.
BirdsluvDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 16, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sdrfish View Post
Do not use the train as it is greatly unreliable. The trains that service gatwick are run by southern trains. There is huge problems with staff regularly going on strike or trains get cancelled due to staff sickness. I was planning to take the train just after xmas to get to gatwick but they have now planned a strike for that timeframe and when there are daily cancellations or limited services i would not risk your holiday for it.
As this would be the last part of the journey I wouldn't worry so much as you will be travelling the day before.
As long as you book 12 weeks before the journey you should get a good deal. Use the railcard and use a cash back site to get even more back or gain nectar points.
Old 16 Nov 16, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
camen
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Hi I live in south Devon and now always use the train. GWR do a ticket called the Gatwick Fly away which is an open return for a flat fare for up to 4 adults and each child is £1. You don't need a railcard and it is the same price whenever you book it. I have just checked and from camborne it is £190 for up to 4 adults. When trying to book online make sure you put open return and avoid Paddington and the ticket will show. The advantage of this ticket is you can catch any train on the way back and are not restricted to off peak. You change at reading. Hope this helps
Nicky
camen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 16, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Disdaydream
Excited about Disney

Disdaydream's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
We live in mid cornwall and drove to Gatwick and back ... we have a 6 year old who slept all the way but it was AWFUL on the way back even with sharing the driving

We weren't sure what to try next time, so thanks for the suggestions guys we will be looking into anything that stops the long drive back from gatwick
Disdaydream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 16, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

As always you dibbers have been amazingly helpful! I do think that whilst the flights are more convenient I can't justify almost tripling our traveling budget for them. Especially because the train is almost door to door for us whereas flights would require an extra journey from Newquay to Camborne (about £50 in a taxi!)
disney_chick13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 16, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by camen View Post
Hi I live in south Devon and now always use the train. GWR do a ticket called the Gatwick Fly away which is an open return for a flat fare for up to 4 adults and each child is £1. You don't need a railcard and it is the same price whenever you book it. I have just checked and from camborne it is £190 for up to 4 adults. When trying to book online make sure you put open return and avoid Paddington and the ticket will show. The advantage of this ticket is you can catch any train on the way back and are not restricted to off peak. You change at reading. Hope this helps
Nicky

Brilliant thank you! I'm off to have a look 😊
disney_chick13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 16, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Hi there!
Train for us too, though also only as far at Exeter. Used the gatwick Flyaway ticket, but was under the impression you could only get it by phoning GWR - may have changed as it was a few years ago.
Return journeys by car or train can be equally horrible. Lugging suitcases onto trains with full luggage racks, then not being able to keep an eye on them, (despite constant anouncements... ). Redhill to Reading was blocked so had to go via Clapham Jnct - at rush hour. Train from Reading was the Cornish Flyer, and rammed, so couldnt get 4 seats together, this would be my main concern for you with an infant! Even so, I think if we had to use Gatwick again (did BRS-DUB-MCO last time), it would still be the train over driving!
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 16, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
We've done train for both our trips - via Paddington/Victoria/Gatwick Express the first time, and change at Reading then direct to Gatwick the 2nd (much better route ). Definitely recommend the family & friends railcard. Also you can use Tesco vouchers to purchase train tickets via red spotted hanky which saves a bit too. Our only complaint really is there isn't always masses of luggage space for suitcases but we managed to squeeze them in both times
If I had the money then flying from Newquay would be great but the train was fine.

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 16, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

If it were me I think I would take the car as planned but book a night in a hotel for the return night and then drive back the next day.
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List