Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Nov 16, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
camen
Excited about Disney

The Gatwick fly away is available from all the websites that sell train tickets but you have to put in avoid Paddington. If you are using the train from the south west it is a no brainer as the return is fully flexible and cheaper than using a railcard.
camen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 16, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Hi Disney Chick. We live in penryn and as you can see from our signature, have faced this issue many times. (And flown elsewhere on other vacations).

We drive and do this for a reason. It extends our holiday and also enables us to do things that we wouldn't otherwise do. I would give you next Easter as an example. (Albeit we are using Heathrow).

When we drive up, we are stopping at the Swindon outlets (with Railway museum), before staying the night in Hayes premier inn. Next morning, we drive the mile or two to purple parking where we dump our car before using their free shuttle to terminal 3. Prem innwith breakfasts for 2 plus 2 £48.

On the dreaded 'red eyed return journey' we are only driving as far as Salisbury before a mooch around and then a night in the Premier Inn. It will then be a gentle cruise down to Penryn the next day. Prem inn Dinner and Brecky for 2 plus 2 £93.

On previous, Gatwick departures, we have visited Chessington, Brooklands etc etc as they are on the way.

Hope it helps.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:31 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 16, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post

We're in a similar situation living in South Devon. Over the years, flying long haul, we've driven both ways, caught the train both ways (via Paddington and tube round London to get Gatwick Express and changed at Reading on another trip), caught train up and taxi transfer back, flown Exeter to Manchester return. Unfortunately, next year we can't fly home as Virgin flight lands at 0730 and return flight leaves at 0850 so not enough time to safely make connection. Also, previously Flybe have allowed 23kg for free on Exeter to Manchester routes and that's now stoppped. Think we will get the train to Manchester next April. Is there a similar ticket to Gatwick Flyaway?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 16, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by debjay View Post
We're in a similar situation living in South Devon. Over the years, flying long haul, we've driven both ways, caught the train both ways (via Paddington and tube round London to get Gatwick Express and changed at Reading on another trip), caught train up and taxi transfer back, flown Exeter to Manchester return. Unfortunately, next year we can't fly home as Virgin flight lands at 0730 and return flight leaves at 0850 so not enough time to safely make connection. Also, previously Flybe have allowed 23kg for free on Exeter to Manchester routes and that's now stoppped. Think we will get the train to Manchester next April. Is there a similar ticket to Gatwick Flyaway?
Hi Debjay, when did FlyBe stop the 23kg inclusive luggage allowance? They only officially launched it, with the "seamless link" to VS flights a few months ago?
Old 16 Nov 16, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi KarenG, we had it included when flew in June going to Dom Rep but it's not showing as free now. I contacted flybe and it's been withdrawn. Have you booked your flybe flight via Virgin as a connecting flight?
Old 16 Nov 16, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hi KarenG, we had it included when flew in June going to Dom Rep but it's not showing as free now. I contacted flybe and it's been withdrawn. Have you booked your flybe flight via Virgin as a connecting flight?
I haven't but would have considered in the future (we live two mins from Exeter airport). We flew United EXT-CDG-IAD-MCO in April (one ticket) and the 23kg was included on every flight. Shortly after that VS and Flybe launched their partnership which included "free" 23 kg throughout. So I am surprised it's been withdrawn so soon!
Old 16 Nov 16, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post

We've booked via Kenwood Travel. I've just emailed them to enquire about booking Exeter to Manchester as part of our flight ticket. The problem we have is the time in Manchester on return. Virgin lands 0730, Flybe departs 0850. Does your luggage get routed through to connecting flight on return?

I've also Facebook messaged flybe to check again re 23kg luggage if booked via virgin.

Edited at 10:11 PM.
Old 16 Nov 16, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Very prompt reply from Flybe:

It still stands that we don't offer a 20kg hold luggage between Exeter and Manchester free of charge I am afraid. If you have made a booking where you have a Flybe flight from Exeter to Manchester and an ongoing flight with Virgin under the same ticket number then we will match your Virgin baggage allowance. If you make 2 separate bookings then we will not be able to honour this and you will have to purchase a hold luggage allowance separately. - Marie
Old 16 Nov 16, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

We've booked via Kenwood Travel. I've just emailed them to enquire about booking Exeter to Manchester as part of our flight ticket. The problem we have is the time in Manchester on return. Virgin lands 0730, Flybe departs 0850. Does your luggage get routed through to connecting flight on return?

I've also Facebook messaged flybe to check again re 23kg luggage if booked via virgin.
We arrived on United into MAN and didn't see our luggage until EXT but it was booked all together.

Very prompt reply from Flybe:

It still stands that we don't offer a 20kg hold luggage between Exeter and Manchester free of charge I am afraid. If you have made a booking where you have a Flybe flight from Exeter to Manchester and an ongoing flight with Virgin under the same ticket number then we will match your Virgin baggage allowance. If you make 2 separate bookings then we will not be able to honour this and you will have to purchase a hold luggage allowance separately. - Marie
Thanks Debjay. Good to know the Virgin booking is still working as they promised it would. I wouldn't have expected them to do it for free if it wasn't booked as one ticket (unfortunately!)

Edited at 11:39 PM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 17, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnsonsontour
Apprentice Imagineer

Johnsonsontour's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by camen View Post
The Gatwick fly away is available from all the websites that sell train tickets but you have to put in avoid Paddington. If you are using the train from the south west it is a no brainer as the return is fully flexible and cheaper than using a railcard.
Have driven up & back from Exmouth to Gatwick every year with overnight at Premier Inn BUT I just can't face the drive back anymore whilst people sleep around me!

I have just rang to get quoted for Gatwick Flyaway per the GWR site & they didn't have a clue telling me to book using railcards a normal advance ticket :angry: even though I directed the woman to what it said on their site!

Any one know if this can be booked on line & how far in advance?
Sunset Lakes - Villa Aug 2015, Aug 2016 Oct 2017 Oct 2019
Johnsonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List