Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 3 Jan 21, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by catlady View Post
Can i ask a dumb couple of questions🤔. Never walked a reservation as usually travel in the summer when surprisingly it's never been an issue!

1. How do you physically walk a reservation? Do you modify The reservation online or call member services?

2. Just for example if it was difficult to get? I wanted the 31st Oct? When would I book to walk?

I find it so confusing! Don't you end up with points in the wrong year? 🤦
You can’t walk between use years easily. So that’s a consideration.

You just modify the reservation online it is very easy. Here I will show you. I have been walking a Grand Californian booking and want to actually stay there 5-8 August (3 nights). I booked 5 nights when I started my walk simply because it means I hit my desired dates 2 days earlier. I will then amend to drop the first 2 days entirely at some point. I could have gone with 7 if I’d wanted.

Anyway, this is my booking now I’m currently booked 1-6 August.

I click the modify. It gives me this:

I want to modify the dates, not the people, so click the above red circled modify. That takes me to this:

The calendar allows me to select new dates. So I will shunt it on 1 day, now selecting arrive 2nd and leave 7th, still my 5 nights, just one more day on (I can book from the 2nd August today as it’s 2 January. I am locking out anyone trying to book the 2nd August (or I would be if there was only one room left) because it’s already booked on my previous 1st to the 6th August booking which hasn’t been taken away yet to swap for this new one, and will not be until we complete the new date booking process).

So I select my new dates and press continue at the bottom. This then takes me to this page.

So the above page is confirming my new nights are available (no surprise there). Remember until I complete the process, my previous booking is still safe. So again I go to the bottom of the page and confirm the new dates, which takes me to:

As when you make a first booking, you can select the contracts you want to use in what order if you have multiple contracts. I have 4 and like to use them in the above order. The points from the reservation you are changing are listed here as being able to use, even though your previous reservation is still booked and not yet swapped for the new one.

Again pressing continue at the bottom takes you to a new page above. This confirms the new dates and all the people travelling and the contracts you are using. You still have not swapped the reservation yet and if you closed it down here, your original reservation would still be booked. Unless you are changing the guest names you can go straight to the bottom and click to continue and here you also tick a box confirming you agree to modify your reservation with this new one , which now brings up this page:

All done!

I now have ‘walked’ another day at no risk. The new booking dates are in my dashboard:

Tomorrow I will complete my walk and have the days I need, and some days later I will amend it again and just drop off the two earlier days I do not want.

Probably sounds more complicated that it is, it’s basically just amending the rebooking with the new dates. I don’t usually walk daily, I’ll probably do it every 3 or 4 days, obviously to be effective you have got to do it again before the last day expires.
Old 4 Jan 21, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
You can’t walk between use years easily. So that’s a consideration.

You just modify the reservation online it is very easy. Here I will show you. I have been walking a Grand Californian booking and want to actually stay there 5-8 August (3 nights). I booked 5 nights when I started my walk simply because it means I hit my desired dates 2 days earlier. I will then amend to drop the first 2 days entirely at some point. I could have gone with 7 if I’d wanted.

Anyway, this is my booking now I’m currently booked 1-6 August.

I click the modify. It gives me this:

I want to modify the dates, not the people, so click the above red circled modify. That takes me to this:

The calendar allows me to select new dates. So I will shunt it on 1 day, now selecting arrive 2nd and leave 7th, still my 5 nights, just one more day on (I can book from the 2nd August today as it’s 2 January. I am locking out anyone trying to book the 2nd August (or I would be if there was only one room left) because it’s already booked on my previous 1st to the 6th August booking which hasn’t been taken away yet to swap for this new one, and will not be until we complete the new date booking process).

So I select my new dates and press continue at the bottom. This then takes me to this page.

So the above page is confirming my new nights are available (no surprise there). Remember until I complete the process, my previous booking is still safe. So again I go to the bottom of the page and confirm the new dates, which takes me to:

As when you make a first booking, you can select the contracts you want to use in what order if you have multiple contracts. I have 4 and like to use them in the above order. The points from the reservation you are changing are listed here as being able to use, even though your previous reservation is still booked and not yet swapped for the new one.

Again pressing continue at the bottom takes you to a new page above. This confirms the new dates and all the people travelling and the contracts you are using. You still have not swapped the reservation yet and if you closed it down here, your original reservation would still be booked. Unless you are changing the guest names you can go straight to the bottom and click to continue and here you also tick a box confirming you agree to modify your reservation with this new one , which now brings up this page:

All done!

I now have ‘walked’ another day at no risk. The new booking dates are in my dashboard:

Tomorrow I will complete my walk and have the days I need, and some days later I will amend it again and just drop off the two earlier days I do not want.

Probably sounds more complicated that it is, it’s basically just amending the rebooking with the new dates. I don’t usually walk daily, I’ll probably do it every 3 or 4 days, obviously to be effective you have got to do it again before the last day expires.
Brilliant thank you so much that makes much more sense 👍! I only have one contract so that stage is easy, although with a Dec use year I need to be careful with a later year booking!

Maybe you should post that as a sticky at the top of the page, would be useful for those like me who don't have a clue! 😁