Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Nov 16, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile Train or plane to Gatwick?

Hi folks!

Me, hubby and our baby girl relocated in October from Swindon (45 mins outside London) to Camborne in Cornwall (almost at Penzance) which changes our plans to get to the airport somewhat!

Normally hubby would drive the 2 hours to Gatwick,we would stay overnight at the north terminal premier inn and pay for airport parking. He would then drive home after our flight back.

Now... that drive would take 6+ hours (and we will have an almost 2 year old &#128561 not ideal by any stretch of the imagination

So... we could get a train from Camborne station to Gatwick the day before our flight with 1 change £240 roughly for all of us open return! It's cheaper than flying and We wouldn't miss out on any of our luggage allowance but the journey would still be around 6 hours (just a little more comfy than the car!)

Or

We could fly from Newquay to Gatwick the day before which would only take an hour but cost us £330 return by the time we add on luggage allowance etc and we would still miss out on some of the generous allowance from virgin (about 6kg) and we would have to get from Newquay to home after our return journey (about 40 mins) without the car!

What would you do given those choices?
disney_chick13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 16, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I live in Exeter - so a lot closer to Gatwick than Camborne - and the last few trips driving it has taken us six or seven hours. Factor that in when making your decision; they were grim journeys. I hope your drive would be less trying, but... It can happen.

We almost always take the train for this reason, but I don't know what I'd do with a baby. If you've not yet booked your flights you could look at the price of a flight from Exeter via Man or LCY with VA. It's booked with VA and includes local connection so you'd get your full luggage allowance throughout.

Edited at 09:36 AM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 16, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
W1zz
Apprentice Imagineer

If your looking at the train option, it's worth getting a Friends and Family Railcard. Costs £25-£30 (normally offers on). This will save you at least £100 on that trip alone. And the railcard lasts a year.

Just done dummy dates and Open Super Off Peak Return is £284. With Friends and Family Railcard, it's £171.
W1zz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 16, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by W1zz View Post
If your looking at the train option, it's worth getting a Friends and Family Railcard. Costs £25-£30 (normally offers on). This will save you at least £100 on that trip alone. And the railcard lasts a year.

Just done dummy dates and Open Super Off Peak Return is £284. With Friends and Family Railcard, it's £171.
Oh wow thank you so much for that! I think that it's highly likely that we will get the train! 😊😊
disney_chick13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 16, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I live in Exeter - so a lot closer to Gatwick than Camborne - and the last few trips driving it has taken us six or seven hours. Factor that in when making your decision; they were grim journeys. I hope your drive would be less trying, but... It can happen.

We almost always take the train for this reason, but I don't know what I'd do with a baby. If you've not yet booked your flights you could look at the price of a flight from Exeter via Man or LCY with VA. It's booked with VA and includes local connection so you'd get your full luggage allowance throughout.
Thanks for your insight 😊 Sadly our flights are already booked otherwise that probably would have been a good option... Everleigh will be almost 2 when we go next year so hopefully the train won't be too bad for her as I think I'm leaning towards getting the train...
Old 16 Nov 16, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Spear
Trying for More Ears

Nice to see someone on here from Cornwall. I live in Mabe (near Falmouth) and this year, back in May, we flew from Newquay to Manchester and it was a lot easier than driving. Yes it's not the cheapest way to get to the airport but it's the quickest and easiest. We've booked to go to Florida again in September 2017 and intend to fly from Newquay to Gatwick.

It's very hard after a long flight to drive back to Cornwall, but at least on the train you could try and get some sleep or relax instead of concentrating on the road.
Spear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 16, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post

Thanks for your insight 😊 Sadly our flights are already booked otherwise that probably would have been a good option... Everleigh will be almost 2 when we go next year so hopefully the train won't be too bad for her as I think I'm leaning towards getting the train...
Old 16 Nov 16, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
sdrfish
Excited about Disney

Do not use the train as it is greatly unreliable. The trains that service gatwick are run by southern trains. There is huge problems with staff regularly going on strike or trains get cancelled due to staff sickness. I was planning to take the train just after xmas to get to gatwick but they have now planned a strike for that timeframe and when there are daily cancellations or limited services i would not risk your holiday for it.
sdrfish is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 16, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Spear View Post
Nice to see someone on here from Cornwall. I live in Mabe (near Falmouth) and this year, back in May, we flew from Newquay to Manchester and it was a lot easier than driving. Yes it's not the cheapest way to get to the airport but it's the quickest and easiest. We've booked to go to Florida again in September 2017 and intend to fly from Newquay to Gatwick.

It's very hard after a long flight to drive back to Cornwall, but at least on the train you could try and get some sleep or relax instead of concentrating on the road.
Hello! It's lovely in Cornwall we are so pleased that we took the plunge and moved!

I'm so torn about this decision flights would definitely be easier but then lots more expensive than the train especially adding on a taxi to get from Newquay to Camborne... plus losing 6kg in luggage allowance

The train will take a longer time BUT is a lot cheaper and we can maximise our luggage allowance (hubby may disagree as he will lugging them on and off the train haha)

First world problems eh?
Old 16 Nov 16, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by sdrfish View Post
Do not use the train as it is greatly unreliable. The trains that service gatwick are run by southern trains. There is huge problems with staff regularly going on strike or trains get cancelled due to staff sickness. I was planning to take the train just after xmas to get to gatwick but they have now planned a strike for that timeframe and when there are daily cancellations or limited services i would not risk your holiday for it.
Ah that's also good to know!