Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 30 May 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile DAS card in Disney world

Anyone know of what conditions this accepts and how it all works?

I’ve already resigned myself to the fact that I probably won’t be going on many rides. I have endometriosis that is attached to my bowels so gives me the same issues as ibs and I also have bladder issues as they are overactive (I have an appointment next week yay! Only been waiting 6months. Want Botox in bladder as it’s getting worse)

Don’t really wanna get a DAS card as I think there are much more people out there worse off than me and I feel like I’m taking up a space that I shouldn’t be. I kinda feel like this with disabled toilets too unless there really isn’t any left etc.
But on the other hand I am also panicking a little that if I’m waiting in a long queue then get to go on the ride and it’s bumpy etc what if I can’t control my bladder. That would be horrible for me so I am leaving all the big rides to hubby and my eldest when I would love to go on those with her to but little bit worried.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I have endo too.
Xx
Sorry no idea ref das but i had a hysterectomy last summer and it waa best thing ever xxx
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by scojos View Post
I have endo too.
Xx
Sorry no idea ref das but i had a hysterectomy last summer and it waa best thing ever xxx
They won’t take mine out. Was 24 when diagnosed. Using contraception to “control” it. Least it means I’m not rolling round on floor screaming for 3weeks a month.

For me it’s the bladder and incontenance (obv can’t spell) knowing my luck I’ll manage all that queue and it will happen on the ride.
See how I normally control it is by not drinking which I keep getting told off for by gp.

For instance when we go to the caravan 2 hours drive away. We set off at 2pm to get there at 4pm. I will be busting by the time I get there, I always go before leaving. I will have had to stop drinking from 7pm the night before. It’s ridiculous but not much more I can do for now.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Rather than missing out on the rides why not wear incontinence pads/ pants "just in case" and take some wipes and a spare pair in your bag. I had a problem for many years and while it has now been "fixed" I still have a bag of supplies for "peace of mind".

The DAS pass won't help with problems from bumps/jolts but could help with avoiding long waits and leaving the queue to go so it might be worth asking about one although if you use the fastpass system this may be sufficient to allow you to enjoy some rides.

Also given how hot it will be when you go you must drink plenty to avoid dehyrdration.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

So DAS is for people who can't queue in the normal way for whatever reason. From the sounds of it the normal queuing may not work all the time for you so this should be a reasonable request and I'd go talk to someone at guest services.
Old 30 May 19, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I have incontinence, IBS and anxiety issues so I get a DAS. I don’t see it as abusing the system if you have problems only if you are able and just want to queue jump.
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s funny that even though I want to get one I still feel awful thinking about it. I know it’s nkt abusing the system but it makes me feel guilty.

I’d be ok for 30mins I would think. For the shows I’ll ebd up having to go early with the family to get w seat and then I will go toilet 10mins before extra. That’s how we usually work it.
Old 30 May 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
weeleighluigi
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
It’s funny that even though I want to get one I still feel awful thinking about it. I know it’s nkt abusing the system but it makes me feel guilty.

I’d be ok for 30mins I would think. For the shows I’ll ebd up having to go early with the family to get w seat and then I will go toilet 10mins before extra. That’s how we usually work it.
We will be getting a DAS pass for my daughter, she is currently waiting on a possible autism diagnosis and has sensory issues (all but one sense) and is a very anxious child. I have spoken to Disney as I feel the same way as you about abusing the system. This will be our 4th visit and we have never used one up until now. She can't wait in a queue longer than about half an hour. She doesn't get outrageously badly behaved, what she does is goes quiet and introverted and starts to feel upset and overwhelmed. Because of this... we have never done many of the big huge queue rides. We will be using the DAS pass because the woman at Disney told me too but only on rides where the wait time is astronomical and we can't get fast passes for. We will still wait 3 hours for FOP, it's just that we will wait in a spot we know is quieter and more bearable for my daughter. It is likely in our 2 weeks, we will use it a handful of times... that's it.
Don't feel bad about using something that's there to help you. Phone and speak to Disney if you need to. They are magical.
weeleighluigi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post

Genuingly I feel that the people that actually need it are always feeling guilty about it and if you didn't you probably don't need it. I feel guilty every year I use it but I also have to accept that I need it to help make my experience the same as others.
Old 5 Aug 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

I think you should be asking for a DAS card. You have a valid reason for one!
I’ve had endometriosis since I was 18 and am now 46 with loads of issues around my bladder and bowel.
Mine has been relatively under control for the last 7 years or so although I’ve just spent a few nights in hospital and need more follow up.
Awareness of the condition has improved so much in the last few years but I think there is still this stigma that it’s not a serious condition but it is.