Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 7 Jul 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by caj View Post
You might be right, and the system does get tweaked. I havent heard of that though.
Personally I did a lot of research into the DAS and I didn’t see anything about making arrangements beforehand, but I’m sure there must be some way to do it- some families couldn’t even book a trip to Disney without some assurances I’m sure.

But I just wanted to reassure you that if you can’t get it done over the phone, in person isn’t that bad. You don’t have to list medical conditions at all- they don’t even need to hear what the medical condition you have is. All they need to know is what benefit a DAS would bring you.

For instance I have arthritis but instead of having to say that I said ‘if I stand or sit in one place for too long, like in a queue, without moving my joints can lock up’.

I wouldn’t worry about having to list off medical conditions or for it to be long and embarrassing and personal.

Also where I got my DAS issued- and in another guest service place I visited- they make everyone wait in a queue and call you up to a CM when they are free, like at a bank. That way it’s very hard to over hear conversations, I couldn’t hear the people’s before me and I wasn’t worried about being overheard.

Anyway I hope you can get it sorted before you go but if not I just wanted to make it clear it’s not too intrusive a system!

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ambermark View Post
I know he needs to be there to get a photo taken, but im sure I read somewhere some people have been able to ring up and have a pass ok'd over the phone, then they just need to get the photo and pass made when they get there? Or did I get the wrong end of the stick somewhere?
I have never heard of being able to make arrangements ahead.
Old 8 Jul 19, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
I have never heard of being able to make arrangements ahead.
me neither

and Disney's always been clear that arrangments could not be made in advance

think of what this could imply ... think that DAS was introduced as a change to GAC when people hire wheelchair users to benefit from GAC ...

imagine advance DAS ... you'd soon find people asking for money to get in touch with disney, with a standard speech they're sure to get DAS with, and anyone could pay to get DAS ...

now, what the other poster may have heard of (re: advance arrangments) may be related to WISH trips (or maybe Give Kids The Word)
WISH trips are arranged in advance, DAS is not.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
I think it is down to the CM. If you are in a wheelchair you don't get a pass in Disney or Universal (or at least this is what I was told) as it automatically allows you to have the same system or its not that they have to queue with everyone else its that they flag visually as needing assistance. In Universal it is just whether the person thinks it warrants it or not.
Whist you are correct in saying that being in a wheel chair doesn't get you a DAS, being in a wheelchair doesn't necessarily mean that you have to queue with everyone else.

For example last August my wife got a DAS because she has bladder issues that mean she cannot go for more that 45 mins without having to visit the little girls room. However she was also waiting for a full knee replacement which necessitated us having to hire an ECV.

When we choose not to use the DAS (wait times not outside the 45 minute window, FP or DAS) we were sometimes asked if she could transfer to a wheelchair (and when we affirmed) shown into a separate disabled entrance, which was usually a more straight forward route.

At Universal, where most of the loading stations seem to be upstairs and thus nearly every ride has a wheelchair user entrance, this was an even quicker method than using out hotel passes which invariably mean you still have to go up stairs at some point.

As an aside neither of my wife's issues meant that she had a PIP, how would the providing proof scenario work in her situation?

Edited at 02:09 PM.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Raggyavn View Post
Whist you are correct in saying that being in a wheel chair doesn't get you a DAS, being in a wheelchair doesn't necessarily mean that you have to queue with everyone else.

For example last August my wife got a DAS because she has bladder issues that mean she cannot go for more that 45 mins without having to visit the little girls room. However she was also waiting for a full knee replacement which necessitated us having to hire an ECV.

When we choose not to use the DAS (wait times not outside the 45 minute window, FP or DAS) we were sometimes asked if she could transfer to a wheelchair (and when we affirmed) shown into a separate disabled entrance, which was usually a more straight forward route.

At Universal, where most of the loading stations seem to be upstairs and thus nearly every ride has a wheelchair user entrance, this was an even quicker method than using out hotel passes which invariably mean you still have to go up stairs at some point.

As an aside neither of my wife's issues meant that she had a PIP, how would the providing proof scenario work in her situation?
I don’t claim for pip either and although I’ve been told I’m eligible for a blue badge I haven’t taken this up either. However, if it ever changed and became a rule to provide evidence I’m sure a simple letter from GP or consultant would suffice. Even when full diagnosis hasn’t been reached, a medic could say what is being investigated 😀
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by TeeKayDawn View Post
I don’t claim for pip either and although I’ve been told I’m eligible for a blue badge I haven’t taken this up either. However, if it ever changed and became a rule to provide evidence I’m sure a simple letter from GP or consultant would suffice. Even when full diagnosis hasn’t been reached, a medic could say what is being investigated 😀
Yes I’m sure it would be. I only mentioned it because earlier on in the thread it seemed that most were implying that if you had a disability (that Disney should recognise) then you would have a PIP, I just wanted to show that, that is not always the case.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

PIP wouldnt mean anything to Disney, universal etc as it is uk benefit. It also doesnt state what your problems etc are,
Old 10 Jul 19, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Yes I’m sure it would be. I only mentioned it because earlier on in the thread it seemed that most were implying that if you had a disability (that Disney should recognise) then you would have a PIP, I just wanted to show that, that is not always the case.
Yeah as others said, I'm disabled, have a blue badge and currently don't have PIP. I still have a condition that makes queuing difficult so therefore need a DAS.
Old 10 Jul 19, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

This is very true and I wasn't trying to imply that if you had a wheelchair then you could simply queue it was just that you don't need a DAS. You can still request one if your circumstances require it.

Where I was referring to providing some sort of evidence I wasn't referring in anyway to providing evidence of any benefit. I don't get PIP but am registered disabled with my local authority and therefore would have some sort of documentation I could provide. I was also thinking along the line of a covering letter from a Dr stating the condition rather than a blue badge or PIP etc as these as you point out don't denote needing the additional service.
Old 10 Jul 19, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Bootrip2 & Gismo1554

Unfortunately I’m sure that whatever the solution is, it will be open to abuse.

I think Florida (or even) US law precludes Disney asking for documented proof and as such will always rule out that avenue.

My contribution to this thread should be taken as informative to those who (like my wife & I) went to Disney having never experienced any form of disability and then suddenly finding ourselves having to use a system that we hoped we would never need.

It’s a system that has 2 parts. One being the DAS system and the other being disabled access (where available) for which a DAS isn’t required.

Edited at 08:18 AM.