Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Feb 17, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
May2017
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile #mobile passport app

Sounds like a time saver.

Download app complete form shorter Q.

Anyone used this and can one app on one phone be used for whole family?

Cheers
May2017 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 17, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi,

Thank you for posting about it - I didn't know what it was.

I found this description on the cbp website.

It talks about eligible people, but I am struggling to find out what defines eligible. It also seems to suggest that you upload all the info ahead of time and just show the QR code to the immigrations officer. So presumably you still have to queue with everybody else - it is to save time for the officer rather than the individual is how I read it.

I read a few things about the downloadable printable customs form not being accepted by customs officers at some locations. I can see a world where this might not be either. Technology doesnt seem to have caught up with the people so far as I can see.

But that said, what is to stop people downloading it and giving it a try.

mobilepassport.us/

MCO and FLL are "live" so are other popular indirects like ATL and JFK etc - so perhaps worth a go.

Would be interested in any feedback from anybody trying this before we go
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 17, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Can I add a query on about the kiosks too while here...

Anybody used these ?

Are there limits if travelling with children (seem to recollect under 12s still had to go to see the officers face to face) - is that still the case ?

May be a useful question under the trip planning forum - rather than chat as it may get lost here .
Old 4 Feb 17, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Who can use the app?

U.S. citizens with a valid U.S. passport and Canadian citizens with both a valid Canadian passport and B1 or B2 visa status may use the Mobile Passport App.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 17, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
Who can use the app?

U.S. citizens with a valid U.S. passport and Canadian citizens with both a valid Canadian passport and B1 or B2 visa status may use the Mobile Passport App.
Thank you. For some reason I thought it also included those from UK with Visa waivers (presumably this is ESTA) but I cannot see it online anywhere to confirm.

The FAQs does say that one app can cover up to 4 people as a family group. But guess that doesn't help if you arent eligible.

Does anybody know anything more about the kiosks and what the eligibility criteria are for them ? Is it US / Canadian only ?
Old 4 Feb 17, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

I used the kiosks at New York and Dublin. The only criteria was, if I recall correctly, having travelled to the US previously on the same ESTA (I could be wrongg about that as I have a mind like a sieve). Still had to see the officer though but didn't have to fill in a customs form
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 17, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
N52939
Apprentice Imagineer

I don't believe it is available to UK travellers. It is not that reliable yet either. DW tried to use last summer and we tried to use it in early January (we are US citizens) and it did not work on either attempt.

You have to submit the information electronically before getting to the immigration hall but no more that 4 hours before arrival time, so for transatlantic flights you need to submit as you are taxiing in on arrival.
N52939 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by N52939 View Post
I don't believe it is available to UK travellers. It is not that reliable yet either. DW tried to use last summer and we tried to use it in early January (we are US citizens) and it did not work on either attempt.

You have to submit the information electronically before getting to the immigration hall but no more that 4 hours before arrival time, so for transatlantic flights you need to submit as you are taxiing in on arrival.
Thank you for the feedback. I understand it isnt available to UK citizens - pity. Anything to speed the process up.
Old 5 Feb 17, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
I used the kiosks at New York and Dublin. The only criteria was, if I recall correctly, having travelled to the US previously on the same ESTA (I could be wrongg about that as I have a mind like a sieve). Still had to see the officer though but didn't have to fill in a customs form
Interesting.

We have been since 2008, but will be on new ESTAs this time as passports have renewed. I will dig deeper
Old 6 Feb 17, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
N52939
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Thank you for the feedback. I understand it isnt available to UK citizens - pity. Anything to speed the process up.
I would expect that once they get the bugs ironed out that they may start adding more countries who can use it. It is basically the same process as using the kiosk.
N52939 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List