Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Aug 18, 03:39 AM  
Link to this Post
HEMANCLOFTY
Dibbing with Tink

HEMANCLOFTY's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
As much as I love Disney, IOA has always been my No 1 park - even pre Wizarding World. The themeing is spot on, it has some of the best rides (especially the water rides), and it's a more relaxed pace than The Disney Parks.

Of The Disney Parks, EPCOT is my fave, with AK and HS joint 2nd and MK last - yes, its magical, but it's just too busy and the rides aren't thrilling enough.
HEMANCLOFTY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 03:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We had a break from Disney last year and spent the same amount on tickets for Universal and SeaWorld/Busch Gardens. We had a great time but it was no Disney. Universal can be done in 2 days and the parks close earlier than Disney. Sea World was a case of going in and doing the four main rides and leaving!

Edited at 03:59 AM.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Some interesting comments on this thread. Thanks.

For me, I'm not sure I could say Disney or Universal is better. We always visit all six parks (4 Disney and 2 Universal) as they all have their own appeal. Putting crowds aside, MK has got the 'wow' factor, but I would agree the rides at Universal are very good. Hulk is my favourite coaster in any park. Then again, ToT is my favourite non-coaster ride. Let's not forget Busch Gardens also has some awesome 'coasters and I'm told Six Flags is even better, although I've not been there (yet).

We have noticed over the past 9 years that Disney seems to be losing some of the magic. I can remember thinking Universal were money-grabbing by offering front of line tickets for a fee. Now I see more 'special' events at Disney that cost more money (extra hours, MNSSHP in Aug!, etc). I'm afraid I also do not like the FP+ system. I am not trying to start a heated debate about it, I just think the old system was fairer for all.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments. I found the attendance figures post very interesting as this is not something I've seen often.

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Mobile

Personally, I take anything on trip advisor with a pinch of salt!

Some of the reviews are comical...

Prefer to do my own research than take reviews / tips off that site.
Old 6 Aug 18, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
Personally, I take anything on trip advisor with a pinch of salt!

Some of the reviews are comical...

Prefer to do my own research than take reviews / tips off that site.
There are some belters in there arnt there lol, I always review a hotel I've stayed in on trip advisor whether good or bad feedback, I do think though people on there are quicker to fire off a post about the bad rather than the good... I tend to answer a lot of the comments in the question and answer section for a certain hotel or place on there, a lot more helpful and I've had great advice before on that section
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
indie2312
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gezzs View Post
Some interesting comments on this thread. Thanks.

For me, I'm not sure I could say Disney or Universal is better. We always visit all six parks (4 Disney and 2 Universal) as they all have their own appeal. Putting crowds aside, MK has got the 'wow' factor, but I would agree the rides at Universal are very good. Hulk is my favourite coaster in any park. Then again, ToT is my favourite non-coaster ride. Let's not forget Busch Gardens also has some awesome 'coasters and I'm told Six Flags is even better, although I've not been there (yet).

We have noticed over the past 9 years that Disney seems to be losing some of the magic. I can remember thinking Universal were money-grabbing by offering front of line tickets for a fee. Now I see more 'special' events at Disney that cost more money (extra hours, MNSSHP in Aug!, etc). I'm afraid I also do not like the FP+ system. I am not trying to start a heated debate about it, I just think the old system was fairer for all.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments. I found the attendance figures post very interesting as this is not something I've seen often.

Just got back from DLP with the paper fast pass system and I missed FP+, having to queue for up to half hour (or more) to get a fast pass was torture when the temp was in the mid 30's with no shade. So much easier doing it online and not having to walk all over the park or wait hours before could book another.
MNSSHP in August is a great opportunity for those that miss it, I can't visit in fall season because I'm a teacher so next summer I will be doing it.
Also the EMH ticketed event, watching people's videos if you have the money, no queueing for rides and basically the park to yourself it looked awesome especially if you weren't doing Disney, you could get a lot done! It all depends on the way you look at it
The free extra magic hours be it in morning or evening in Disney are great if you can have the opportunity to stay on site and are worth it in the price tag.
I also don't feel that by missing any of the 'extra' activities in US and Disney I am missing out. So much to do and explore within the tickets.

indie2312 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Gezzs View Post
This did surprise me. Universal IoA has beaten Magic Kingdom to the number one spot!

tripadvisor/Travel..._Mode.expanded
It's surprising IoA has become the #1 theme park this year. It's not like IoA has added anything much in 2017 to make it suddenly "better". The last thing they added to the park was Kong back in the middle of 2016. They actually removed a (much loved) ride in 2017 - Dragon Challenge - leaving IoA with only one big rollercoaster.

Now, if they'd added the Harry Potter stuff last year then I could understand.

I'm guessing it has more to do with a slight fall in rankings of the Disney parks rather than an increase in ranking of the Universal parks.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
I review on tripadvisor a lot and like to think I give fair and informative reviews. I use it a lot as we do many road trips staying in a lot of different places, I’d be lost without being able to review hotels/motels online before we stay there. I don’t think it works so well for attractions however, because we all experience things differently.

For what it’s worth, MK lost its attraction for me after my initial visit but then I’m an adult not going with children. For families with small children in particular, I’m sure it is still a magic place. My OH refers to it as a big shopping centre and these days I tend to agree with him; it’s my least favourite WDW park but I will still go next May because it’s just something I have to see at least once per trip (especially the fireworks).
All my family love the Universal parks for the thrill rides mainly, it is less well themed IMO but more than makes up for it in entertainment for an adult (or one still wanting to be a teenager).

Both are great places where you can be in touch with your inner child and forget about life’s daily hassles and stresses. Worth their weight in gold for that alone

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I review on tripadvisor a lot and like to think I give fair and informative reviews. I use it a lot as we do many road trips staying in a lot of different places, I’d be lost without being able to review hotels/motels online before we stay there. I don’t think it works so well for attractions however, because we all experience things differently.
I think reviews for attractions work just as well they do for hotels. People experience hotels differently - someone's experience at a hotel at the same time can be very different to someone else's. And what some people think is a good thing about a hotel, others will see as a bad thing.

As with all these things, it's subjective and individual reviews tend to be biased. But you can look at the overall comments and reviews to get a relative idea of how good/bad a theme park or hotel is. A theme park or hotel rated #2 or #3 is probably going to be better than a theme park or hotel rated #302 or #303. And if 90% of the people say it's dirty (or clean) then it's probably going to be dirty (or clean).

The fact that IoA is #1 whilst MK is #2 will not really make any difference to anyone. It means that they are both excellent theme parks - and they are!

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List