Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 May 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile Should cyclists have insurance?

I have witnessed 2 accidents in the last week caused solely by cyclists so it’s making me wonder if they should have insurance, although how it would be enforced I don’t know.
First was a few days ago, a cyclist rode straight through a red light of a 4 way junction that I was stopped at. A car narrowly missed hitting him by swerving so severely he then mounted a curb and busted a tyre, could quite possibly have done suspension damage too.
Then today I was coming round the particularly awful Crooked Billet roundabout when a group of 3 cyclists decide to ride across a 50mph dual carriageway to get to the other side. This caused a car to brake so suddenly the car behind hit them up the backside! I was thankfully in the other lane but it could so easily have been me. The cyclists just rode off knowing full well what they had just caused! I’m not sure who’s insurance would be used, I’m assuming the guy who did the damage, but I do feel sorry for them both!
Now before anyone flames me I know not all cyclists are selfish morons but I’m witnessing more and more idiotic behaviour recently

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
YES
Yes they should!
I'm constantly just avoiding collisions with mountain bikers racing down bridle paths and not being able to avoid my horse when I'm coming up the other way. I have 3rd party insurance and they should be required to have it as well
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My Husband and daughters all have cycling insurance through British cycling membership. Typically they aren't the type of cyclists that do stupid things as they are responsible enough to have insurance.
Old 30 May 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
As for the 2nd incident you witnessed, happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, I thought in those types of crashes it was always the car that ran into the other one that's deemed to be at fault as you are supposed to leave enough reaction time if the car in front suddenly breaks.
Old 30 May 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
My Husband and daughters all have cycling insurance through British cycling membership. Typically they aren't the type of cyclists that do stupid things as they are responsible enough to have insurance.
You learn something new everyday, I didn’t even know that you could even get cyclist insurance 😬
Now to actually enforce it, as like you say it’s the irresponsible ones that give others a bad name!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
As for the 2nd incident you witnessed, happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, I thought in those types of crashes it was always the car that ran into the other one that's deemed to be at fault as you are supposed to leave enough reaction time if the car in front suddenly breaks.
Yes that’s what I thought but still very annoying though!

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 30 May 19, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

We have said that for ages & whilst not all the same, it seems to be getting worse, they ride side by side in groups round some of our local lanes & its so dangerous for them and for car users, you cant pull round them for fear of a car coming the other way. The best thing we did was get Dash cam's fitted front and back. Last week we came over a little single file bridge just pulling up to a T junction when a cyclist came round the corner on our side! How he managed not to hit us had to be admired but I said to DH thank God for that camera but for him managing to pull just past us he would have gone straight into the front of our car & apart from nigh on killing himself who would have covered the damage to our car had we not had evidence. He just road on, I hope to God it scared the life out of him and I also hope he hear the mouthful of abuse DH shouted at him.
Old 30 May 19, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

a lot of cyclists are as above

in theory its a good idea but not really enforceable and then what about kids on bikes where do you start/stop..

as with cars the type of cyclists who ride/drive like ###s are the least likely to be insured
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

I’m a cyclist and yes, cyclists should be insured. I’m insured through British Cycling. Like most things the small number of idiots gives the majority of well behaved cyclists a bad name.
There was a long thread about cyclists about a year or so ago that got quite heated.
I am a member of several Facebook cycling groups and I could fill the Dibb for a week with GoPro videos of crazy car drivers taking cyclists out (some deliberately) and hundreds of close shaves. It works both ways.
There are guidelines issued by British Cycling for riding in groups - club cyclists are usually very considerate to other road users and safety conscious.
Cue rants about cyclists😂
ETA - just had leaflet through the door stating that most of our local roads will be closed in early July for an Ironman road race - bloomin’ Cyclists!

Edited at 03:08 PM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
I’m a cyclist and yes, cyclists should be insured. I’m insured through British Cycling. Like most things the small number of idiots gives the majority of well behaved cyclists a bad name.
There was a long thread about cyclists about a year or so ago that got quite heated.
I am a member of several Facebook cycling groups and I could fill the Dibb for a week with GoPro videos of crazy car drivers taking cyclists out (some deliberately) and hundreds of close shaves.
There are guidelines issued by British Cycling for riding in groups - club cyclists are usually very considerate to other road users and safety conscious.
Cue rants about cyclists😂
exactly im on a few cycling groups and its almost daily there is someone posting gopro footage of mad drivers/dogs/walkers/horses

serious question are dogs insured for accidents?

poster earlier states horses are
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List