Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jul 19, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFairy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Travel insurance

Just had my renewal for our annual travel insurance through and it’s increased by £50!

I think that’s a big increase. I haven’t had chance to speak to them yet to ask why.
We haven’t changed anything from last year to this year and not put in any claims either so I am mystified as to the ( what I think ) is a large increase.
Has anyone else’s premiums increased greatly? Or have I missed something in general about insurance increases?
FloridaFairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
pumpkin mom
Serious Dibber

Mobile

We have cover with medical inclusion. Rang this year and it had gone up by £150! When my husband asked why such an increase the agent said it was because he was a year older ! Found another company £30 cheaper than last year. Pays to shop around
Old 13 Jul 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFairy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you for your reply pumpkin mom.

Wow that’s a big increase and just for that reason ...
I haven’t had time to ring mine yet. Last year it increased more than I expected and when I questioned it they said oh it’s because of bogus claims etc! ‘You know sick holidays.com’ ...
I will be shopping around as I think a jump from £140 to £191 is rather a lot !
FloridaFairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Having raved on here over the years about Boots Platinum I've very recently changed my mind.

Bear in mind that we're both 70+ and both have a fairly serious PEMC each. Boots premium in May 2017 c£800, May 2018 c£820, quote in May 2019 c£1,250. That is a serious increase and I politely told them not to bother renewing. They said that they would get the underwriters to ring me - still waiting after about 6 weeks. Yes we are a year older but our PEMCs have not worsened.

Went with Staysure at around £850. I check at least 6 or 8 companies every time but find price comparison sites useless if you are like us.

Aviva seem to be recommended on here for people with no PEMCs. Our own bank account with HSBC was great until they threw us out at 70.

Mick
Old 13 Jul 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFairy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for the reply Mick.

That doesn’t sound very fair to me ... as you’ve said your PEMC haven’t changed , no claims etc so why the large increase?
I will be shopping around after I’ve spoken to them ... unfortunately the company is Aviva who have always been so good and competitive on their pricing ...
reading their cover letter i was surprised at this .. ’You have been with us a number of years. You may be able to get the insurance cover you want at a better price if you shop around’ ... don’t they want my business ?!?!?
Old 13 Jul 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I am just waiting to see if we can get cover next year for DD, hopefully nothing will have changed symptom wise but dread finding out how much it will be.
Old 13 Jul 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFairy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
I am just waiting to see if we can get cover next year for DD, hopefully nothing will have changed symptom wise but dread finding out how much it will be.
Gosh that must be a worry for you. I seem to be moaning about £190 but it’s nothing compared to what some people have to pay ...

I just can’t understand the large increase £50 more from £140 to £!191 ! It’s almost a quarter more !
Old 13 Jul 19, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Having raved on here over the years about Boots Platinum I've very recently changed my mind.

Bear in mind that we're both 70+ and both have a fairly serious PEMC each. Boots premium in May 2017 c£800, May 2018 c£820, quote in May 2019 c£1,250. That is a serious increase and I politely told them not to bother renewing. They said that they would get the underwriters to ring me - still waiting after about 6 weeks. Yes we are a year older but our PEMCs have not worsened.

Went with Staysure at around £850. I check at least 6 or 8 companies every time but find price comparison sites useless if you are like us.

Aviva seem to be recommended on here for people with no PEMCs. Our own bank account with HSBC was great until they threw us out at 70.

Mick
I have several PEMCs and get my insurance from Aviva - they were recommended to me by one of the doctors at my surgery. They're great and are so helpful when I have to ring and add conditions.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I have several PEMCs and get my insurance from Aviva - they were recommended to me by one of the doctors at my surgery. They're great and are so helpful when I have to ring and add conditions.
I need to be a bit careful here. At 73 I can't remember what I had for breakfast let alone all the companies I tried in May either on the phone or on-line.

So here goes and apologies if I've got them the wrong way round.

I tried both Axa and Aviva. One would cover us but excluded cancellation or medical costs arising from our cancers - what rubbish cover is that? The other referred me to their "associated" company All Clear. Their best price to compare with what I have with Staysure was over £1,400.

Mick

Edited at 02:57 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFairy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Had a lengthy chat with aviva earlier on...
The reason for the increase is that they’ve had a lot of claims over the past year...
reasons given were ( in no particular order &#128514

Holidays in general costing more to cover when cancelled etc
More medical claims within my demographic
‘The drone ‘ farce at LGW causing delays cancellations etc
Weather issues like ‘ the beast from the east’ giving rise to cancelled flights etc
And bogus claims 😮😮 ... like sickholidays.com etc

How true this is I’ll never know and whether it’s a spiel they’ve been given to say but it seemed plausible enough ... or am I just gullible?!?!

Anyway as regards my policy I do have add ons which when we broke down the policy I can see has cost me £90...
airspace closure, travel disruption , baggage and golfing cover 🙄 ( which I was about to cancel until I found out it was only £1.94 😂😂 going down from £4 odd from last year! )
I have a few weeks to look more in detail at the policy and see whether I want or amend or even renew with another company.
We are flying with TC ( hopefully) and of anything happens with that then we are not insured ( although covered by credit card) ... is there any company that will insure ( obviously not on this particular holiday but for future) and is it called ‘end supplier failure’? Or is that something completely different?