Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 30 Mar 06, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post

"Believe" at Seaworld..

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but it's new to me...

SeaWorld launches "Believe," the most ambitious Killer Whale show in the parks' history

Orlando, Fla. (October 12, 2005) – SeaWorld parks across the U.S. have embarked on the most ambitious entertainment project in the brand’s 41-year history, a new production called “Believe” that showcases SeaWorld’s majestic killer whales with awe-inspiring choreography, an elaborate 3-story set, original musical score and panoramic LED screens.

A first for SeaWorld, the intense choreography of the new show creates a breathtaking “killer whale ballet” of grace and agility, as every movement of the powerful whales – each weighing 6,000 to 10,000 pounds -- is matched to the corresponding beat of a stirring, original musical score. “Believe” will open in spring 2006.

In addition to SeaWorld Orlando, SeaWorld parks in San Diego and San Antonio will also open “Believe.” The three Shamu Stadium facilities are among the largest marine mammal habitats in the world.

SeaWorld Orlando Specifics:
Much of the existing above-water stage structures at Shamu Stadium will be removed to make room for the world’s largest whale tail (or “fluke”), fountains, complex mechanical set pieces, and multimedia equipment that includes video cameras, LED screens and sophisticated sound design.

The centerpiece of the new set design is a 3-story tail fluke flanked by four, 20-foot-wide video screens which operate independently and also move together to create a single, 80-foot-long panoramic screen. Those screens provide guests at Shamu Stadium with views of the whales from above- and below-water cameras, including, for the first time, a camera suspended directly over the main show pool.

The audio system for “Believe” is the most sophisticated ever constructed for a Busch Entertainment show. The design will create soundscapes for “Believe” that will rival any show or concert experience, with nearly 100 speakers throughout the stadium and a surround sound experience. The musical score has been composed exclusively for this show, and the killer whale behaviors choreographed to match each beat.

Thad Lacinak, BEC’s vice-president of animal training, said marine mammal trainers have been working on new behaviors with the park’s 24 killer whales for nearly two years, building on almost four decades of experience in showcasing killer whales.

“We will do much more than entertain with ‘Believe,’” Lacinak said. “We want to inspire our guests to believe in themselves. If we can build this kind of relationship with 6,000-pound killer whales, there’s nothing they can’t do.”

SeaWorld’s trainers have developed a repertoire of nearly 160 killer whale behaviors, 100 of which will be part of the new show. “Our training philosophy is built entirely on positive reinforcement,” he said. “With animals this large and powerful, relationships built on trust are critical.”

At SeaWorld Orlando, the current killer whale shows will continue in the main presentation pool until “Believe” debuts in spring, with construction occurring around the show schedule.

xx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 06, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
alisonjones
Imagineer

alisonjones's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 20
Well sure hope it is better than the new Dolphin show which we didn't like compared to the old Key West show - all the fun and dolphin entertainment had gone out of it.
Just my personal opinion mind.
Old 31 Mar 06, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklepants
slightly serious Dibber

sparklepants's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I love Seaworld, I'm really looking forward to seeing the new show! We saw Blue Horizons, it was fantastic (apart from a parrot almost landing on my head). I loved the Key West show as well tho!
Old 31 Mar 06, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by alisonjones
Well sure hope it is better than the new Dolphin show which we didn't like compared to the old Key West show - all the fun and dolphin entertainment had gone out of it
I know what you mean, I think after 12 years of the old 'Key West Dolphin Fest' it was time for a change, but whatever replaced it should have featured the dolphins in the same way, after all that is what you are going to see, not some guy bouncing away on a bungee rope, right!?
Old 31 Mar 06, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
joolsleeds
Apprentice Imagineer

joolsleeds's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
When is the Shamu Stadium work finished for?

Jools
joolsleeds is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 06, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Construction should be done within a month or so, the show is scheduled to open *sometime* in May, still no word from management yet
Old 31 Mar 06, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Karen Mouse
Imagineer

Karen Mouse's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Rob, please tell them they have just 17 days til I get there and things had better be running!

Did you manage to find out about the whales top fin bending over? Cant find the other thread that mentioned it.

Cant wait to see Shamu(s) aain.

Karen
Karen Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 06, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post

lol Karen, will give them a good kick up the bum for you!

Sorry, I have been so rushed at work recently I have not had time to ask for you sorry
But Nicola (USA Here I Come) did give a response to your question, the thread is here and it is her second post on the first page.

Or actually I could just paste her response here
Originally Posted by USA Here I Come
The whales dorsal fins are like that because (like you said) they have cartlidge in them and as captive whales spend more time at the surface gravity pulls their dorsals over. Wild killer whales have been found with bent dorsal fins, new research has found there might actually be genetic components to it...picture here: keiko/gallery/gallery_14.jpg (both whales in the background have bent dorsal fins).

Edited at 04:12 PM.
Old 31 Mar 06, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We absolutely love the Blue Horizon Show. We always do the first show and then another one at the end of the day on every visit we do to Sea World (We have gold passports!)
Loved Key West too, but the new show just sends chills through me - love it.
Can't wait for the new Shamu show.
When we were there the other week it was underconstruction and the Shamu show was a bit shorter than usual so looking forward to seeing it in october.

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 06, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinker and Hook
Imagineer

Tinker and Hook's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Hope the new shamu show 'believe' is up and running by mid May when we go. anybody got any idea if this will be the case .Sounds brill. Haven't yet seen blue horizons so will have to reserve judgement at this time. The key west show was really enjoyable.

Best Western,Kissimmee, September1995
Courtyard by Marriot,LBV, June1997
Hotel Royal Plaza,LBV,August 2004
Cypress Pointe,LBV, May 2006
Lake Buena Visa Resort Village and Spa May 2009
July 2012 - Lake Buena Vista resort village and spa
July 2014 - Royal Pacific Resort & LBV Resort
Tinker and Hook is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread