Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Dec 15, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
jheaton
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
Oh! For the days of 2008 when we got 2:08 to the £. That's when we bought in to DVC.
Ah-those were the days

I remember my DH buying himself 5 pairs of Levi's as the exchange rate made them a quarter of the price back home
1995 OKW/1997 Villa/ Gulf /2000 Villa/Rotunda /2002 Villa/Rotunda/2004 Southern Dunes/ AMI/2006 West Stonebridge/2007 Bradenton/2009 Sandy Ridge/2011Sandy Ridge/ AMI /2012SSR/2012Esprit/2013 SSR/2013 2wks AMI/2014 AMI/2015 OKW/2015 AMI/2016 AMI/ Bonita Springs/2017 2weeks Bellavida/2018 AMI/2019 Bonita Springs and Universal/2022 Gulf Coast Hurricane Ian/2023POFQ
jheaton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 15, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post

I think the dollar will stay around where it is for now the UK is still a safe bet for investments.
The Euro may take a bigger hit.
The Bank of England may have to rise the UK rate if Investment in the pound falls.
That could help the pound get stronger.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 15, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Pound already gained against the Euro this week

Could potentially mean less visitors to the UK next year from their main market (EU 28)

Pound gained strongly against CAD and AUD as well so less visits from them.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 15, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

I normally give out about euro rate but working for International company it makes our Irish base much cheaper and many jobs or opportunities are coming out of it. Just need to push myself and get a step up with better pay to minimize the euro rate impact.

It sucks when you look at the rate euro to usd and consider the holiday but Irish economy is getting good boost out of it

but yes - higher rates will attract investors and may have further increase in the value of the currency

Edited at 07:52 PM.
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 15, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
Pound already gained against the Euro this week

Could potentially mean less visitors to the UK next year from their main market (EU 28)

Pound gained strongly against CAD and AUD as well so less visits from them.
I bought some CAD$$ a couple of months ago at 1.86.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing - still time to get some more a 2-1 for our skiing trip in Jan.

LAst time we went we got 1.5 so although annoyed 1.86 was still a fab rate!

Katie
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 15, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Alien View Post
I normally give out about euro rate but working for International company it makes our Irish base much cheaper and many jobs or opportunities are coming out of it. Just need to push myself and get a step up with better pay to minimize the euro rate impact.

It sucks when you look at the rate euro to usd and consider the holiday but Irish economy is getting good boost out of it

but yes - higher rates will attract investors and may have further increase in the value of the currency
yes Ireland does seem to be bouncing back from it's recession.

However we usually devote 2/3 of our spends in Florida on clothes and justify the trip that way as we are saving €€€ compared to European Prices but at 1€/1$ the arguement isn't there then we are just going for the parks which we've already seen so there isn't the same incentive to go. It irks me more as it's me that wants to go but if the wife won't be getting bargains shopping she'll really not want to go. I need it to be over 1,30 to confidently say we'll save by going... looks until 2020 that simply won't happen.

Unless some dibber can help me out with some sneaky way of justifying it.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 15, 06:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

to be honest we didn't feel our shopping in US was amazing. Time to appreciate European brands!

We love the parks. We have our food & accommodation booked in euro for 2016 with QDP and no car hire, no shopping trips planned and if there aren't good deals after that we may reconsider.

I will just get over the rate no other options. Nothing I can do about it. We love the parks and that's enough to justify it. So I may as well do what I can - tackle my career progression in hope for earning extra dollars. I will also up my bargain hunting home

My justification is - do more of what makes you happy!

Edited at 06:49 AM.
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 15, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Look, it sucks I get it. But what can we do - not much. To me it's worth it and there isn't alternative. I am happy to cut the shopping and still have our holiday. It's just stuff (that we mostly don't need anyway)
Old 18 Dec 15, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread