Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jun 21, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile Healthy Foods for teenagers

My DD is 15 and has a growing appetite. Unfortunately, over lockdown her activity levels have plummeted and she’s put on a bit of weight. She makes terrible food choices and has become really picky and unwilling to try anything other than the basic, and not particularly nutritious, foods she will eat.

Dinners I’m ok with as all three of my kids like a variety of cooked meals so I’m ok with making these healthier/reducing portion sizes etc. but I’m really struggling with breakfasts and lunches. She’s very lazy and says she’s not hungry in the morning so she often grabs a choc chip brioche and eats it on the bus or at break. Does anyone have some healthier “on the go” breakfast ideas? I don’t mind these if it it wasn’t everyday and she won’t take fruit instead (believe me I’ve tried). Also, lunches….at the minute she’ll only take a ham sandwich (white bread only). I chop up things like celery, fruit, carrot sticks etc but I know she chucks them away. I’m just after some healthy ideas that she won’t feel like I’m forcing her on a diet - I don’t want her to diet as such but stop eating so much junk. I’ve tried removing it from our household but I don’t think it’s fair that we can’t have any treats in for the other 5 people just because she can’t control herself from the chocolate and crisps.

Any helpful advice appreciated.
2018 - Villa in Davenport
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I make healthy breakfast bars for grab and go for DH if he’s going to the gym or golf
You could add in a few chocolate chips
I also have a great muffin recipe you can make the basic batter up and bake as next last 6/7 days in the fridge I just chuck in blue berry’s chocolate chips nuts raisins etc
As I spoon in into the muffin tin only takes 15 mins in the oven theycan be great for lunch treats too
As with all teenagers it’s pick your battles and have a Covid battle plan it can also be a bit of rebellious or it’s the only thing she feels in total control of right now as far as making her own choices
It’s been so hard for them all
Look for skinny pop corn baked crisps wossits etc for snacks for everyone so she doesn’t feel she’s been singled out can’t have the treats everyone else can
Skinny Whip bars might just be the answer to the chocolate fix 99p I’m home Bargins And B&M
Hope this helps
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Having had a weight problem since a teenager I have to say weigt gain is a far more complex issue than just "controlling" yourself.

I think it's great that you are providing healthy options but she must be the one who wants to lose weight for things to change. Do discuss with her your concerns for her health and try to get her to suggest foods she'd like to try.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Pre emptive script that was ment to be covert not Covid battle plan sign of the times
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
I make healthy breakfast bars for grab and go for DH if he’s going to the gym or golf
You could add in a few chocolate chips
I also have a great muffin recipe you can make the basic batter up and bake as next last 6/7 days in the fridge I just chuck in blue berry’s chocolate chips nuts raisins etc
As I spoon in into the muffin tin only takes 15 mins in the oven theycan be great for lunch treats too
As with all teenagers it’s pick your battles and have a Covid battle plan it can also be a bit of rebellious or it’s the only thing she feels in total control of right now as far as making her own choices
It’s been so hard for them all
Look for skinny pop corn baked crisps wossits etc for snacks for everyone so she doesn’t feel she’s been singled out can’t have the treats everyone else can
Skinny Whip bars might just be the answer to the chocolate fix 99p I’m home Bargins And B&M
Hope this helps
Thank you, great tips!
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Libby View Post
Having had a weight problem since a teenager I have to say weigt gain is a far more complex issue than just "controlling" yourself.

I think it's great that you are providing healthy options but she must be the one who wants to lose weight for things to change. Do discuss with her your concerns for her health and try to get her to suggest foods she'd like to try.
I know, I completely get that which is why I want to do something for all three of them so she is definitely not being singled out. Trouble is she’s going through a terrible phase of being extremely difficult to talk to and she thinks anything I say is an attack at her (I can’t even ask her to pick up her towel without it being me picking on her). She’s so sensitive about her weight as well which makes it all the more difficult to discuss. When we do briefly talk about it she says she wants to eat better but she literally doesn’t last a day. I want to encourage her but I’m torn between pushing her too much and her rebelling or not doing anything and her getting really unhealthy.

Edited at 11:15 PM.
Old 15 Jun 21, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Also please please talk to her is there another cause to her eating habits we’ve had a teenage family member that’s been bullied on line horrendously during Covid because they were happy to study on line still could do the things that were important to them
horses and dogs being the front runners
As OP said weight gain is very very rarely just over eating forthe sake of it especially if
It’s not the norm for her the family
Old 15 Jun 21, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post

I have found with mine that encouraging them to choose, prep and cook the meals has really paid benefits. Especially for evening meals. It seems to be an active engagement with what they want to eat rather than what they are being served.

We get through a lot of cold pasta pots with cheese, peas, sweetcorn etc.

A lot of food seems to be preferred if it can be eaten on the hoof, or by hand.

The flat cheap panini maker is on the go nearly every day. A lot of toasted wraps with various fillings get consumed. But poss more for in-house consumption rather than being taken out the door to school. But same goes. Hand food not cutlery / plate food seems to go down well if they are fending for themselves.

We have a sit down knife and fork evening meal.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I have found with mine that encouraging them to choose, prep and cook the meals has really paid benefits. Especially for evening meals. It seems to be an active engagement with what they want to eat rather than what they are being served.

We get through a lot of cold pasta pots with cheese, peas, sweetcorn etc.

A lot of food seems to be preferred if it can be eaten on the hoof, or by hand.

The flat cheap panini maker is on the go nearly every day. A lot of toasted wraps with various fillings get consumed. But poss more for in-house consumption rather than being taken out the door to school. But same goes. Hand food not cutlery / plate food seems to go down well if they are fending for themselves.

We have a sit down knife and fork evening meal.
She loves the paninis at school, this may be a good shout! Any good filling ideas? I think at school it’s only cheese and pepperoni paninis
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
Old 15 Jun 21, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

As someone who has been overweight all their life I would caution against making any issue out of her weight - unless it’s brought up by her. I was dragged to weight watchers from a young age and there was so much focus on me being fat that I stared eating in secret . I’m still that person .

It’s really important that young people have an understanding of healthy eating but without it being focussed on weight. Is she interested in cooking? We used to run youth group cooking sessions and would make thinks like pizza wraps (much better than a normal pizza) and veggie curries etc. What about egg muffins for breakfast?
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List