Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jun 21, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Family G I fully understand the on the go food I was a nurse for 35 years so it was lots of on the go food be it a thermal mug with soup a wrap
Bento boxes are great for food on the go little compartments so a quick snack for a quick break in each or for breakfast on the go then lunch later We take them to the parks as We get throughly sick of park food after 2 days and they work great for eating on the go in ques as well
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 06:24 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Would she not have breakfast before she goes to school? My son is the same age and I know how difficult they can be at times. We have always had a rule that they have to have breakfast before they go and if that makes them late and they get into bother for it then tough, they need to be up earlier if that is the case. He has scrambled eggs and toast every morning, sometimes I will do bacon too. For lunch he will take chicken on rolls with a couple of Jaffa cakes for after. He isn’t a huge fan of many fruits but likes veg but that’s quite difficult to take unless it’s salad. I sometimes do a pot with whole meal pasta, chicken and sweetcorn or some of the flavored sliced chicken, breadsticks and cherry tomatoes.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 06:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I make wraps for my DS 17 - these can be filled with lettuce, peppers, grated carrots, chicken pieces / ham / falafel, avocado, sweetcorn, tomatoes and a small amount if mayo or ceasar dressing etc - endless possibilities for variety.

As snack bags I buy popcorn, wuavers, hoola hoops, snack a jacks - lots of options for under 100 calories each.

I also keep a constant supply of hardboiled eggs in the fridge - these are great when someone is feeling peckish and they can be grabbed on the go. Lots of nutrients and surprisingly filling.

I try also to keep a variety of fruit as snacks - easier now in summer than winter.
Old 16 Jun 21, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Mandij39
Apprentice Imagineer

Having gone through this but the other way, DD seriously underweight and picky eater, trying to get her to eat was impossible. My suggestion is Up the activity level, suggest you go for a walk/jog/swimming/yoga/pilates or even join the Gym together. If she's burning the calories then the food won't matter as much.

It's very tricky trying to address weight issues with a teenager, especially if they are self conscious about their weight.
Mandij39 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

This is in no way a criticism but if you buy the food why have you got choc chip brioche in the house?

Does she eat yoghurt, could you do some kind of overnight oats or healthy cereal for breakfast. Would she grab a made up fruit bowl if it was ready and waiting?
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
This is in no way a criticism but if you buy the food why have you got choc chip brioche in the house?

Does she eat yoghurt, could you do some kind of overnight oats or healthy cereal for breakfast. Would she grab a made up fruit bowl if it was ready and waiting?
Because we are a family of 5 and other people like them occasionally, I don’t feel I should strip my kitchen bare for her.

She won’t eat yogurt, she won’t eat fruit outside of the house (just chucks it) away.

Thanks for your reply.
2018 - Villa in Davenport
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mandij39 View Post
Having gone through this but the other way, DD seriously underweight and picky eater, trying to get her to eat was impossible. My suggestion is Up the activity level, suggest you go for a walk/jog/swimming/yoga/pilates or even join the Gym together. If she's burning the calories then the food won't matter as much.

It's very tricky trying to address weight issues with a teenager, especially if they are self conscious about their weight.
Yes agreed. I have just given her my old Apple watch and she seems interested in upping her steps. I want to try to get her to come on a daily walk with me but I’ve just had surgery and am laid up for 6 weeks so I’ll have to think of some other ideas.

The real problem is she’s in proper teenager mode now and so mardy at me all the time, it’s hard to even talk to her about anything!
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney1st timer View Post
Because we are a family of 5 and other people like them occasionally, I don’t feel I should strip my kitchen bare for her.

She won’t eat yogurt, she won’t eat fruit outside of the house (just chucks it) away.

Thanks for your reply.
Ah OK, sorry they weren't helpful suggestions.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Ah OK, sorry they weren't helpful suggestions.
They are helpful, it’s just it’s not so easy to tell her to eat a yogurt and fruit and she will. I pack her packed lunch up all lovely for her and find it stuffed in her room days later.
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
Old 16 Jun 21, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
You could make/buy hummus and leave chopped carrots or (less healthy but better than chocolate) mini breadsticks in little pots or bags alongside it in the fridge. Hummus is so easy and cheap to make - best results when you use dried chickpeas. You can batch cook the chickpeas and use part of it for falafel as well - another ‘handheld’ option. Could you also pre-roast mini chicken fillets with some herbs/spices on (eg tikka flavoured) . I think it’s important to find healthier alternative treats for all the family to enjoy and try to cut back on buying the likes of the brioches. Another healthy snack option and my go-to is cubes of cheese and mixed nuts, also frozen berries. I often have a couple of raspberries or cherries straight from the freezer if I need a sweet treat. getting her to cook meals for the whole family would be helpful. Hope that helps but as others have said it’s important not to force anything on her - needs to be her choice even if you influence it.

POFQ Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014
Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019
TinselAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List