Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jun 21, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
We are planning to get round this by going out for three months, coming home for Xmas and then going back out for three months. Then back home over the summer before rinse and repeat!
Whilst in theory this could work, habitually doing it could cause you problems

"The terms of the VWP are very clear - it is only to be used for occasional, short visits to the U.S. If the CBP Officer thinks you are trying to "reset" the clock by making a short trip out of the U.S. and re-entering for another 90-day period, you can be denied entry. (If that happens, you will have to obtain a visa for any future travel to the U.S.) In order to be re-admitted to the U.S. shortly after a previous admission expired, you will have to convince a CBP Officer that you are not trying to "game" the system."

Also you need to bear in mind taxation, doing what you are suggesting would have you classed as a US citizen for tax by year two

"If you were physically present in the U.S. on at least 31 days of the current year and 183 days during a three-year period, you are a U.S. resident for tax purposes. Additional stipulations apply to the three-year threshold."

As you say nothing is insurmountable but there are things to consider in there

You may as well apply for a B1/2 visa though if this is your plan, cheap to apply for and 6 months per visit lasting for up to 10 years. (All the above considerations still apply though)
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Amazing, I read the moving to Florida thread and was going to start a thread like this and as if by magic, one already exists.
Bookmarked with interest, I would have liked a six month at a time period but it sounds like it could come with its own problems, so maybe three months at a time.
Your comment OP about it being like a looooong holiday is true I suppose, but potentially less risky financially. The car thing is a good point, 3/6 month car hire would be quite costly I imagine!
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
Whilst in theory this could work, habitually doing it could cause you problems

"The terms of the VWP are very clear - it is only to be used for occasional, short visits to the U.S. If the CBP Officer thinks you are trying to "reset" the clock by making a short trip out of the U.S. and re-entering for another 90-day period, you can be denied entry. (If that happens, you will have to obtain a visa for any future travel to the U.S.) In order to be re-admitted to the U.S. shortly after a previous admission expired, you will have to convince a CBP Officer that you are not trying to "game" the system."

Also you need to bear in mind taxation, doing what you are suggesting would have you classed as a US citizen for tax by year two

"If you were physically present in the U.S. on at least 31 days of the current year and 183 days during a three-year period, you are a U.S. resident for tax purposes. Additional stipulations apply to the three-year threshold."

As you say nothing is insurmountable but there are things to consider in there

You may as well apply for a B1/2 visa though if this is your plan, cheap to apply for and 6 months per visit lasting for up to 10 years. (All the above considerations still apply though)
I was aware of some but not all of that, so thank you
Old 16 Jun 21, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Just after my Dad retired a few years ago my parents went to Fort Lauderdale for a break (only a couple of weeks). This was in mid-April, so when the snowbirds are returning home. They commented that there were seemingly a lot of semi abandoned cars with out-of-state licence plates parked up on the roadsides.

Parents hosts said this is perfectly normal, snowbirds from northern states get one of their cars booked on a transporter to bring it down to Florida to save them the hassle. They then take the easy route and fly down a week or so later and use their own car for the duration of their stay.

The seemingly abandoned cars in mid-April were waiting for the transporter to pick them up and take them back up north, with the owners having flown home.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We’ve done several long trips usually October to December back for Christmas and New Year and fly back out Mid January to late March or early April depending on Easter
So I’ll say what we have found
We have dogs so House isn’t empty dog sitter stays
Car hire we did look at buying a car but insurance and storage made renting and buying much the same and no maintenance bills to consider
Taxes we employ an accountant anyway so she deals with that it’s a very complicated
Algorithm how they work it out we stay under 110 days in total in any one year just simpler
Long term health insurance policies are available must make sure dental is included
Medication take more than enough with you talk to your GP well in advance to arrange this
We use our esta never had an issue with being refused entry they can see our travel history pattern
We have annual passes park days are so much more enjoyable spread out over such a long period
Day to Day living
We live life like we do here DH golfs goes to the gym TKD classes I have a couple of craft groups I go too I borrow the neighbors dog go to the dog park
Eating out we only eat out maybe once max twice a week and that’s rarely eating at the parks Busch being the exception
Snowbird season can be busy in restaurants particularly breakfast and early evenings
You only need to check out the que at Mannys Haines City around 3/30pm it’s round the building before it opens
One thing I would say is remember there is no off season in Florida now so rental costs
Are not much different winter or summer only thing a owner isn’t paying for is multiple cleans that go with short vacation rentals
Snow birds book for the next year as soon as they arrive
As you all know not many villa community’s are Walkable to supermarkets restaurants etc so consider that especially if either one of you is likely to be doing something on your own I often drop DH at the golf and pick him back up if I need to good food shopping etc Southern Dunes and Highland Reserve are very very popular with snowbirds for walk ability to Walmart Publix Aldi Whinne Dixie etc
Everyone should do a long trip at lest once if they can
Hope that helps
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Our retired friends did this for 10 years but they owned their own villa and would winter over here for just under the 6 months on a B2 Visa. Be prepared to be grilled every time you enter and if you decide to try before retirement and you are under retirement age, you may not even be granted a B2 Visa because they view every single person trying to enter on any visa as possibly trying to move here to work. If you are denied a B Visa for tourism it will be very difficult to even come in on an ESTA.

If you know the pitfalls before you start it should go a lot smoother.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Isn't this what ChrisS does? I'm sure they'll be able to offer lots of helpful advice if they see this post
Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
ChrisS does this every year. She is very informative and I’m sure she’d be happy to help
Yes, Chris has done this for several years; she's overcome all of the issues the OP has mentioned. Hopefully, Chris will see this thread and give some support, she's great at that.

Gryff is also a mine of information, and has already posted a nice meaty reply. 😊
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bella9 View Post
Yes, Chris has done this for several years; she's overcome all of the issues the OP has mentioned. Hopefully, Chris will see this thread and give some support, she's great at that.

Gryff is also a mine of information, and has already posted a nice meaty reply. 😊
The OP should apply for B1-B2 visas if they intend to do any form of work from the USA. This would include, say, taking part in a video call with their UK employer / colleagues whilst in the USA. As long as they are only employed & paid outside of the USA it should be OK.

Technically you could be OK to take part in work related video calls back to the UK on a B2 visa, but it's not worth the risk. An ex-colleague & her husband moved to Minnesota, husband got the B1 visa & wife got the B2. It was made quite clear to her that she could work only on a voluntary basis & receive no renumeration (even in-kind) in the USA.

I've bent the rules slightly when in the USA on an ESTA for a holiday as there have been occasions when deadlines back in the UK had slipped, so the odd work related call / video call took place - but we were only talking 10-15min calls back to the UK, where I live and am paid. The purpose of my entry to the USA had been truthfully declared as a holiday.

One could argue that given the huge increase in home-working / video calls due to Covid, it's no different to WhatsApp / facetime to relatives back home. Just the subjects being discussed are less interesting!
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Kraken, OP refers to potential retirement plans, don't think they plan to work.
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Ah wow! Thank you everyone for such comprehensive responses, I never realised how much would be involved in taking an extended holiday! Lol! 😂

It does seem like lots of planning would be required - thank goodness I love holiday planning! Haha!

You are right, this is a long term plan for a retirement trip - I wouldn’t rule out doing it more than once if we loved it so much, but it’s definitely something I’d like to try once.

As a child my dream was to live in the States, and my dad realised this dream back in the mid nineties - but watching him become ill and eventually sadly passing over there, it made me realise I wouldn’t want to move there permanently (mainly due to the worry of growing old and ill and needing to use their healthcare system and insurance), but I would like to experience a few months or more of ‘living’ there. So I’m not ruling anything out, but I’m thankful to you guys for pointing out all of the things I need to consider if we are to make it happen!

I will try not to wish the next decade away whilst I wait though! Haha! 😂

Thanks again everyone 👍
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List