Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jun 21, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Melvin, we went to the 7eleven at the top of end of I-drive one evening. That was certainly an experience with gangs of youths who were clearly armed.

Still managed to get a coke for $1 rather than $6 at universal😀😀😀
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
jemrock
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Melvin Pearce View Post
We agree with you Moorlandman, Brits don't realised what a gun state is Florida.
On one trip we had gone into Jared at the Loop, on coming out there had been a shooting at Ross opposite.

We suggest that every tourist goes into Bass Pro at the top of International Drive to see how big their gun department is. It is a eye opener

Melvin and Lesley
I'm always surprised concerns around guns aren't more widely discussed on the Dibb to be honest.

Disney World Florida five times and counting!
jemrock is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by jemrock View Post
I'm always surprised concerns around guns aren't more widely discussed on the Dibb to be honest.
Why? It’s not going to change over there, and if people really object to guns or are scared then i guess the answer is don’t go.

Guns don’t bother me, most of my friends there are gun carriers, they have permits for concealed weapons … We once had a discussion with some friends and they said every time you go in Walmart etc you’ll be near people who are carrying guns..

In about 30 trips .. there’s been 2 shootings near to where we were … 1 in a Denny’s on I Drive , and 1 in a Walmart in Huntersville NC , Oddly enough it was a shop we use most nights but that night we didn’t.. both shootings were domestic ..
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

We missed the slip road on our way back to Sanford and had to try and find our way back. That was a real eye-opener for us - very scarey area.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Mobile

DH would love to buy in Florida or even Spain but i’ve always said long term rental only for me. Someone else’s property and problem.Because unless i could afford to own something here still I wouldn’t move abroad.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
We missed the slip road on our way back to Sanford and had to try and find our way back. That was a real eye-opener for us - very scarey area.
Done exactly the same but coming out of Sanford. Ended up in a rather suspect neighbourhood in a shiny rental car. Didn’t hang around and managed to find a main road and legged it. Only done it once!
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Way too much gun crime for me to spend more than a few weeks in one place. I remember a shoot out outside Target on the 192 and no body seemed that bothered. Police just coned off a few parking spaces

As a British citizen you will probably be the only person without a gun or firearm.
Well I live here and don't even own a gun. I am a US citizen so easily could but have no need to. At home I am probably far safer than I was in the UK. The vast majority of crime reported on Nextdoor here is people complaining about their car being broken into. They then admit they left it in the drive unlocked and teenagers rifled through it looking for things to steal without causing any damage or stealing the car.

In the UK in our "posh" village in Hertfordshire there were constant house break ins, car thefts and builders equipment being stolen. Our own house was broken into with a battering ram while we were sleeping so 2 car loads of thieves could steal my husband's car keys and car. In Florida they probably would have been too scared of being shot by the home owner to try it.

I am not a believer in having a gun to defend yourself against perceived threats when they can be so dangerous to have in the house, but everyday life here really isn't dangerous. I am pretty sure that shooting at our local Target parking lot was yet another domestic issue. I certainly don't feel in danger there.
Old 16 Jun 21, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Alot of those "suspect neighborhoods" are just where poor people live. They are the people traveling an hour on the bus to clean your room at Disney or wash your rental car at the airport. I have driven through plenty of them without an issue.
Old 16 Jun 21, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Why? It’s not going to change over there, and if people really object to guns or are scared then i guess the answer is don’t go.

Guns don’t bother me, most of my friends there are gun carriers, they have permits for concealed weapons … We once had a discussion with some friends and they said every time you go in Walmart etc you’ll be near people who are carrying guns..

In about 30 trips .. there’s been 2 shootings near to where we were … 1 in a Denny’s on I Drive , and 1 in a Walmart in Huntersville NC , Oddly enough it was a shop we use most nights but that night we didn’t.. both shootings were domestic ..
Indeed DB, guns have always been part of US culture, I'll only be concerned if staring down a barrel one day until then... For those concerned about the level of US gun ownership perhaps research other areas for holiday.

Only once became aware of an accidental shooting on the island in 10 years, any sound of gunfire is immediately 911 reported to the Sheriff Dept, our deputy pal advised they attend each one.
Old 16 Jun 21, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
wobblywibbly
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
We did exactly the same on our first trip. You could hear the banjos being warmed up
wobblywibbly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List