Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jun 21, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Honestly I would rather spend money on my health and mobility than WDW though in the scheme of things.
I don’t find it sad that people are opting for this route … the nhs should be for emergency and acute situations … paying to be seen faster takes the pressure off the nhs for someone who absolutely can’t afford that option and proves some relief to the individual.
I am amazed at how many people are prepared to wait so long and in pain when an alternative is open to them, that is what I find desperately sad.

Good luck OP
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Ilovedisney
VIP Dibber

I feel for those that cannot afford to go private. My parents both have health issues. They don't own a car, are in their 70's, never go on holiday through choice but struggle to get by on the pensions.
I think for many private healthcare is a luxury.
Ilovedisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Going private and being rather large sized family saved my granddaughters sight if not her life.
She was down to skin and bone and really not eating, GP said all children go through skinny phases - ha well not in this family they don't. We found a pediatrician who took tests, only charged for initial consultation and put her straight into her NHS hospital. She actually had a brain tumour which had started to affect her eyesight. First dose of chemo released pressure on eyes. She will always have some issues but that was the best £175 ever spent. And if necessary obviously the villa would have gone to pay for treatment but the wonderful NHS took over, even sending her to Jacksonville for proton beam therapy.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ilovedisney View Post
I feel for those that cannot afford to go private. My parents both have health issues. They don't own a car, are in their 70's, never go on holiday through choice but struggle to get by on the pensions.
I think for many private healthcare is a luxury.
Exactly and that is when the NHS comes into its own… but I have no issue with those who can afford to do so, paying to get treated… in fact I think they should be encouraged to pay to free up resources for those who genuinely can’t.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

I've been really lucky to have private healthcare through my work for years but due to the increase in premiums this year they are cancelling it as a benefit 😫
Old 18 Jun 21, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
pchivvy
VIP Dibber

pchivvy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Guidebook Reviews: 1
My son is in a similar situation. Over the last 2 years he has been getting ever increasing periods of violent sickness which last at least 24 hours. However the most recent episodes are now every other week for days at a time. He has lost his business due to Covid and has taken a job to pay off his debts which is now at risk because of his absence.
The urgent referral via the NHS is 36 weeks!
I have paid for the initial consultation privately and the consultant is arranging for the scans and tests via the NHS and we will then go back to see him privately again.
It is literally breaking my heart to see him go through what he is going through and being fobbed off by the GP who told him he had a sickness bug.

2017- Eeyores Escape
2013 and 2014- Hampton Lakes
2012-8 nights AKL, 7 BWV
2011- Disneys Port Orleans Riverside
2004-2010- Various Villas, RPR
2002- All Star Movies, Clearwater
2001- Holiday Inn
2000- All Star Movies
pchivvy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 04:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I have always had private healthcare through work now I don’t and the cost is prohibitive. However I have taken private out for 11 year old DD with Axa and it’s only about £200 a year.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

My dh has this with his employer with me added. We have used it a few times now, my dh more than me.
To us it’s an invaluable benefit and we have discussed that when we retire we will aim to keep it. It’s the speed and convenience.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
My dh has this with his employer with me added. We have used it a few times now, my dh more than me.
To us it’s an invaluable benefit and we have discussed that when we retire we will aim to keep it. It’s the speed and convenience.
We have now reached the stage where the cost of insurance is so high due to our age that we have decided to keep our money and pay if we need to. At least this way if only one if us needs it we are not paying twice over.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
It will cost £1k per month for a couple in there 60’s for private health cover😮
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List