Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Apr 13, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Starmum22 View Post
I've just read a trip report (sorry, can't remember which one, I've read loads in the last few days lol) in which a mum was taken into a holding room and questioned by immigration for her son only having a couple more months validity on his passport. Maybe it would be better to be safe than sorry?
I read this too and found it all strange, I had someone in our party with days left on their passport and had no issues.

If you are worried and have the timescale to get a renewal done then renew it and pay for a new esta, if not then you'll be fine as you are anyway.
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 13, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

To the Op.

We had exactly the same issue with Cosmos before our holiday in September. 3 weeks before our travel date we received an Email from them stating that we required 6 months left on our passports. Our youngest DD only had 5 months left on her's so I phoned to query it and got a succession of staff who gave contradictary and confusing advice.

After checking with both the US Embassy and the British Passport Office, we decided not to renew before the holiday. I can't pretend that I wasn't slightly concerned on our travel day but NOBODY at either check in or immigration even mentioned the fact that the passport was valid for less than 6 months.

There is definitely no legal requirement that a British Citizen travelling to the USA needs there to be anything more than the length of their stay left on their passport - as our experience (and that of thousands of others) proves! . I have never heard of any tour operator or airline who genuinely imposes their own conditions on this issue but it does seem that they perpetuate the myth to cover their own backs. Their advice appears to be generic and covers all passengers regardless of where you are travelling to or from.

Please don't worry, the passport that you have is fine. Relax and enjoy your holiday
Old 4 Apr 13, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
paulandalison
Imagineer

paulandalison's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Why oh why do travel agent sprout this wrong info you do not need 6 months left on your passport to travel with as long as its valid for the duration of your holiday it can run out while you are travelling home, don't forget new passport means new ESTAS,
paulandalison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 13, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post

There are many countries that insist on the 6 month rule but these are mainly in the Far East. Think Russia might be one as well. It is NOT a requirement for USA and Thomson have no right to insists on it. As Jakey says if you click to say you've read the FCO advice then that should be it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 13, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
OP, the online terms and conditions in the screen shot from Jakey above tell you to comply with the advice of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. That says for travel to USA:

"Entry requirements
Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. You don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this."

So provided the passport is valid for length of stay, there won't be an issue, as you're complying with both Thomson's online terms and conditions and the FCO travel advice.

I wouldn't waste your time talking with agents who don't bother to correct obsolete and incorrect information in their brochures or call centre scripts: you know the correct answer anyway.
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 13, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
If Thomson or indeed any airline were not allowing passengers to fly with less than 6 months on their passport it would be all over this forum. But is doesn't happen. Legally you don't need 6 months and Thomson don't require it.
Dinglebert is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 13, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Wils39
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Katy 341-
You may be surprised how far someone would get.
Firstly-It seems clear that many hundreds of US visitors with other airlines and Thomsons travel with under 6 months remaining.As someone has already said if there were refusals at check in then the forum and possibly the press would be all over it.
Also consider the documentary evidence of this at passport controls and the like.
Secondly-There is clear legal guidance from US and UK authorities stating it is in order to travel and gain entry providing passports and ESTA's are valid.Providing one has the money I think anyone would have a very strong case.Just because it's a big company does not mean they are above the law of the land.Any terms and conditions must be legal and frankly I think the 'advice' I got from the call centre was rubbish.
Wils39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 13, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Cliftonite
Serious Dibber

We travelled to Florida in April 2011 & my nephew (aged 10) only had 3 months on his passport.

We / He had no issues at all - with Estas, Passport security in the UK nor Passport security in the US.

2008 AKL & private villa ~~~ 2011 AKL & private villa ~~~ 2013 WL (2 weeks) ~~~ 2018 OKW & Portofino
Cliftonite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 13, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mickchick
Imagineer

mickchick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
There is no doubt that holders of UK passports are exempt from the U.S. immigration authorities' six month rule. But that is not the point. If an airline decides to put the six month requirement in its own rules as a condition of a passenger being allowed to fly with them, that is perfectly legal. They could put any condition they like - it's their aircraft, so they call the shots. However, the confusion arises because the six-month rule will apply to any passengers who do not hold a full UK passport. I'm told by a friend at a Gatwick check-in desk that a lot of passengers do not have full UK passports, but do not seem to realise it So the six-month rule imposed by Thomson, for example, is a catch-all to make sure everyone is covered. Those UK passport holders with less than six months are still allowed to fly, and in all probability those non-UK passport holders with less than six months left may also be allowed to fly, but only after being warned that U.S. immigration may stop them. And before they can board they will be asked to sign a waiver indemnifying the airline from having to pay a fine and bear the expense of flying them back. But a refusal is very rare because any potential passport problem would be picked up at the Esta application stage.
mickchick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 13, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

It's not a myth but a misunderstanding. Simply put it is easier for a foreign country to remove you or deport you on a valid document. There are other ways or agreements to facilitate this with expired passports. Another problem is an expired passport could land airlines with a fine. Rare but technically possible. I have to wonder just how many people issuing advice have actually worked in the travel industry?
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread