Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Mar 21, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Are Britain’s streets really that unsafe for women

Following on from an earlier thread about Sarah Everard and a debate on Sky now. Are the streets really that unsafe for women. The impression I’m getting from Sky is that women walk around terrified especially at night.

Is this really the case, as a 6ft 4 male I don’t really see much as a threat on the streets. Is it really that scary for women walking on their own?

When walking at night do you see all males as a threat, if so is there anything I as a male could do to put you more at ease if we happened to be on the same street at the same time

Edited at 05:40 PM.
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 21, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

some green MP has apparently in all seriousness stood up in parliament and said a 6PM curfew for ALL men should be implemented...

fwiw i wouldnt want my daughter or wife walking through a park say after dark... but then again i would think twice about it myself, but statistically our streets are safe

whilst once is too many times, woman are not routinely abducted and killed on our streets its very very rare, hence it makes headline news when it does happen
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 21, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
fwiw i wouldnt want my daughter or wife walking through a park say after dark... but then again i would think twice about it myself, but statistically our streets are safe
I’d feel the same about my wife and daughters
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 21, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

I personally would not walk alone in the dark or allow my daughter to do it. I think statistically are streets are safe but from what I hear and after speaking to all the women I know they do not go out on their own at night.
Sunnydays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Following on from an earlier thread about Sarah Everard and a debate on Sky now. Are the streets really that unsafe for women. The impression I’m getting from Sky is that women walk around terrified especially at night.

Is this really the case, as a 6ft 4 male I don’t really see much as a threat on the streets.
Is it really that scary for women walking on their own?
When walking at night do you see all males as a threat, if so is there anything I as a male could do to put you more at ease if we happened to be on the same street at the same time
I suspect this part is the key in why you don't feel particularly threatened...

Now think about how you would feel as a 5ft nothing 9 stone woman who could easily be overpowered?

Yes it is really that scary - I have been followed in the past and I can tell you it affects you for a long time, what if etc. I used to walk home from school with a key in my fist and the rape alarm in the other hand. I've pretended to be on the phone to someone and power walked to somewhere with more light before.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I wouldn’t walk around this area at night, my daughter 18 never Would. I hate it if my son is out late at night, I wish he would drive, he can drive but hasn’t driven since passing his test over two years ago. I am also worried about walking my dog during the day, I’m staying on the busy streets in case she gets robbed. My advice to woman or anyone try to be with people and get cabs rather than walk around late at night.
Old 11 Mar 21, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Also, sorry to bring this into it but rape and sexual assault is far more prevalent than people think - my friend is a rape counsellor and it's truly shocking.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 21, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

I wouldn't, not 50mins away from home. 5/10 mins yes to pop to local tesco but wouldn't venture into a park area in the dark. I do tend to use my car in dark nights, lr my bike in the lighter nights.
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 21, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

I walk the dog in the dark but I am armed with a heavy torch. I don’t like it but she needs her walk and in the Winter, it’s dark when I get in from work. A girl was raped 100 yards from our house at 6pm when she was walking with her toddler in the pushchair. My daughter loves to walk at night and I follow her route on the phone, checking the find my friends app. She calls me stalker Mum. I’d really rather she didn’t go out walking after dark but she’s too old for me to tell her what to do.
Old 11 Mar 21, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I've been through an area on the outskirts of Birmingham today that I would feel uncomfortable walking through in the dark, or light to be honest. We work alone but have regular safety reminders and have personal alarms. In the past 18 months I've had my window tapped on as I pulled up to park and a man tried to get into my passenger side* and a colleague was followed to her car and he tried to get in (different areas of the same city).

I will walk alone around the area that I live and feel safe but I have definitely felt unsafe in towns and cities at night and have had my keys in my hand and have phoned someone to talk to them until I'm home.

*my car doors automatically lock as I start to drive and I put my handbag out of sight, usually behind the drivers seat.

Edited at 05:55 PM.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List