Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Apr 21, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Genuine independent financial advice

I've spoken to three IFA and they all say "put your money in stocks/shares/bonds". One even had the gall to say "you don't have much to invest - if you had £500k I could help you better" which I think was his way of saying "I won't make a worthwhile profit on you"
Anyway not ONE of them asked me anything about me and my life. It may be that, for ME, it would be better to do something else with it
Buy a property to let
Buy a property to do up and sell on
Buy farmland
Buy bitcoin
Buy fine wine/antiques/collectables
Keep it in a sock under the bed - who knows? Maybe I should
Something else I haven't thought of
As soon as I even mention one of these they lose interest (because they would be losing the interest ha ha)
Where can I find someone who will give me genuine advice and isn't trying to make money off me? Happy to pay said person for their time and expertise
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

I am following this thread with interest as I am in the same boat.
I will be receiving a large sum of money within the next few weeks and I am totally at a loss what to do with it.
Obviously I will pay the mortgage off but other than that I have no clue.
My parents were given bad advice from a financial advisor a few years ago and it cost them a lot of money so I am very wary of them.
Banks offer no interest but it's secure, buying a house to rent out just seems a load of hassle and investing in stocks and shares just seems a bit risky.
Aaarrggghhh, what to do?
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
ansi41 if we find one maybe we can share the appointment and costs!
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
The areas you mention are, in the main, unregulated so IFA’s cannot advise on them. If you want to invest in those areas then you can but you won’t be able to get regulated advice or the protections that go with it.

The comment about the amount you have available is fair. Regardless of the amount available, the regulatory/record-keeping/compliance requirements are the same. Unfortunately there is a threshold below which it is not commercially viable to provide advice.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Of course they are looking to make money off you because that is how they derive their income. I am sure you do not expect to work for free either. Obviously you want to find a good IFA just as you would want to find a good electrician or plumber. There are fairly strict regulations around the giving of financial advice these days so no need to assume the worst of an IFA.

Of the examples you give, I would say at least two are not “investments” but rather are business ventures. You don’t buy farmland as an investment, you buy it because you want to and have the capacity to work it and earn from it. This is not an IFAs area of expertise. Similarly a buy to let property is primarily a business venture with a secondary element of investment.

IFAs provide advice on financial products in the market, rather than lifestyle choices. I would expect them to gather basic information about you such as ages, whether you need income or are after capital growth, what access you would need to the funds (i.e. withdrawals), when you may need the money back etc.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Following too as it’s a mindfield
Old 11 Apr 21, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

I would suggest, now that your confidence in IFAs has been compromised, you would need to rely upon recommendations from a friend or colleague who has already gone through the process and built the trust that you crave.

People often buy farms to avoid inheritance tax as they qualify for 100% agricultural property relief, providing you farm and can evidence all the assets comprising the farm are integral to the business. (Other rules apply also)

Disney332
Old 11 Apr 21, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Of course they are looking to make money off you because that is how they derive their income. I am sure you do not expect to work for free either. Obviously you want to find a good IFA just as you would want to find a good electrician or plumber. There are fairly strict regulations around the giving of financial advice these days so no need to assume the worst of an IFA.

Of the examples you give, I would say at least two are not “investments” but rather are business ventures. You don’t buy farmland as an investment, you buy it because you want to and have the capacity to work it and earn from it. This is not an IFAs area of expertise. Similarly a buy to let property is primarily a business venture with a secondary element of investment.

IFAs provide advice on financial products in the market, rather than lifestyle choices. I would expect them to gather basic information about you such as ages, whether you need income or are after capital growth, what access you would need to the funds (i.e. withdrawals), when you may need the money back etc.
Good points from Claudette. It is import they understand your risk profile, no one can advise unless they know how much risk you are prepared take with your funds.

I have little faith in most FAs, when my parents died it took me many months to unravel the appalling mess that their financial advisor who they believed was their 'friend's had made. Even having to pay for unnecessary trusts to be unravelled and agree legally that I would not sue for poor advice before they would do it!

I now trust no one, we have a broad spread of assets, we monitor things very carefully, do have an FA but watch everything and do a lot of research ourselves.

This is your money, don't just hand it over.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Even if its unregulated is there any way I can get advice on how each of these options would suit?
All investment is a risk, regulated or not
Old 11 Apr 21, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Even if its unregulated is there any way I can get advice on how each of these options would suit?
All investment is a risk, regulated or not
Sorry but you are actually wrong, some investment has no risk, a bank account, savings account, isa etc up to FSA limit has no risk. Unregulated advice is very dangerous, that's why we have an extensive regulation system in this country.

No one will give you that advice I don't believe unless you pay them. I suggested you take a whole day and read extensively then ask for help when you have some idea where you want to go.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List