Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 30 May 21, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
JoolsM
Having Dinner with Goofy

Some advice please

I am a long time lurker on the forum, but haven't posted in a long while, so 'hi all!'

We are a family of 7 and usually go to Florida bi-annually. Our last trip was July 2019, we didn't book for this year because of Covid but are now looking at July/August 2022. We always do a week in a 2-bedroom villa at SSR, which obviously isn't yet available to book, but the prices for everything else have absolutely sky-rocketed since out last trip and my OH (not a Disney die-hard like myself and the kids) is now looking at outside villas to save some money, particularly as we are not getting the free dining that has been a big draw for our large family on previous visits.

I have suggested we rent some DVC points instead, if we can, to make the saving, but he is nervous about something going wrong and I don't know what to tell hime to reassure him about the security of relying on a stranger to make our accommodation booking on our behalf.

What do I tell him to set his mind at rest, and is booking through somewhere like Dave's any more secure than renting direct from a Dibb member?

Thanks for your help, I am so desperate to go back to Disney but it is looking so expensive for next year right now.
JoolsM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 21, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

I'm looking at renting points from David's DVC next year too as we will need quite a lot and had the same worries - what's to stop us paying for a DVC rental, only to have the renter cancel and keep our money (not suggesting any Dibbers would do this). I emailed to ask them what security measures they have in place and they replied:

All DVC Owners that work with our service sign the following agreement which can be found here dvcrequest/dvc-owners/sa...iary-agreement please see section 7

Owners are not paid the full amount for a reservation until the date of check-in, in order to prevent reservations from being cancelled.

In the unlikely event that a reservation was cancelled, the following can be found in the Guest's Rental Agreement here

dvcrequest/information/sample-agreement

I hope that helps a bit. I asked them a lot of questions, and they were very helpful

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 21, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

As a DVC owner and previous renter through the dibb I felt a bit nervous so I looked at previous posts by the person I was renting off who had been on here for many years offering advice and also had lots of previous rentals and no complaints. All was perfect. I would definitely rent off here again as long as it wasn’t someone new on here as that would make me nervous.
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 21, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

I’ve rented off a few Dibbers and they have all been great. I have also rented off David’s and had a booking last year we obviously didn’t go but tbf they were great and I now have a voucher valid for 3 years
Old 30 May 21, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

Before buying DVC we rented from quite a few people on here, all great and no problems.

This year for the first time we have rented our points out both on here and other FB groups and have had lovely renters.
Old 31 May 21, 06:14 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I have rented my points and also been a renter.

David’s may offer protection but a private transaction does require a lot of trust on both sides.

There is nothing to stop the renter cancelling, although once you get within a month the cancellation policy gets much stricter so they are less likely to do so.

With MDE, you can see your reservation is still live so you could check if it had been cancelled easily enough.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 21, 06:52 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Remember you get a reservation number and can link it to MDE so you know it’s been made. Or it disappeared you’d also know it has been cancelled.

No more risk than renting a villa privately really.