Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jun 21, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Macca04
Imagineer

Going private after 18 months

So DD has gone to see a private consultant after waiting for 18 months to see a neurologist on the NHS. As I have spoken many times on here before she had cvst before it became famous due to Covid.

She paid £200 for first consultation and he advised her to have a CT scan for £648 which she booked as she is so desperate to get to the bottom of the constant debilitating headache she has had for 18 months. I have told her we will go halves with the costs would have paid it all but DH hasn’t worked in his business since the start of Covid (London Black Cab Driver)

Just feel really annoyed she has had to take this path.

Sorry rant over.
Macca04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Covid has a lot to answer for. Sorry you have had to pay for her to see a consultant and a scan , it's so wrong. Hope all goes well
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Unfortunately I think this will be an increasing 'theme'

We ended up taking our daughter private due to GP's not stepping up face to face - unsurprisingly the private sector have no qualms.

I was a year overdue for a mammogram until I took it further with the CCG and demanded an appt - bearing in mind my mum, her mum, and aunt all had/have BC I am not talking any chances.

Sadly we are going to see a massive fallout from COVID far bigger than COVID itself.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

I hope your daughter is ok.

Not the same situation, but I ended up going private 15 years ago with shoulder surgery as I got fed up of the wait and that was just for a referral (6 months at the point of going private, but over a year from initially seeing the GP,) which I got through a week after I’d had my surgery done, but I was in a world of pain and it needed sorting. It was the best decision I made, I was lucky I’d got some money saved and was able to pay for it.

I hope for your daughter it becomes a great decision for her, just for the peace of mind it will bring, and she gets the answers she’s looking for.

It’s really sad that people feel they are having to take this route 😢
2026 - maybe...
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I Pre Assessed so many older people last year who had decided to use their saving to pay for hip / knee replacements (non urgent), as they didn't want to wait any longer.

Despite working within it, I don't use the NHS for anything other than emergencies for any of my family, we've always opted for private healthcare for speed, health insurance is an invaluable investment, I wouldn't contemplate not having it.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Macca04
Imagineer

She was very upbeat after her appointment she felt the consultant listened to her and addressed her concerns. Two of our GP’s (telephone appointments) have asked her if she had depression because she cried to them with frustration. Let’s hope the positivity continues and she gets the help she needs.
Macca04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My dad needs an urgent Knee operation. Looks like it could be 18 months on the NHS. Minimum of £14,000 private😮
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
hibbie
Trainee Dibber

We are thinking of going private as well. My 11 year old has been having bouts of dizzyness and occasional sickness... Looked very like labrynthitis to me be she recovers much quicker than you would with that (normally within 3 hours or so)... At first (before covid) we were fobbed several times with it being a virus as there we no ear infection to be seen. Then I was hospitalised with what I think was covid but it wasn't meant to be on the country at that point ( i have posted several times about this), then covid hit, so she didn't see a doctor again for a long time as we avoided going... And it was meant to be an ongoing virus!... Anyway have now chased this up as things have got worse... She's been late or missed school 3 times in 2 weeks for school as she had been off balance in the mornings... We can't carry on like this.. It is affecting her life weekly now. She is now on the waiting list of ENT to see a consultant to try to find out what's going on but we've been told there is currently a 64 week wait. Tbh i don't even know where to start at going private, plus the costs do worry me a bit.

Edited at 01:55 PM.
hibbie is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
My dad needs an urgent Knee operation. Looks like it could be 18 months on the NHS. Minimum of £14,000 private😮
Sounds about right. My Wife was quoted prices between £13500 and £16000 for a hip replacement depending on the extras required e.g. physio etc.

We found the tests added on a lot namely X Ray, Ultrasound and full MRI when she had a shoulder operation..

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
If it's urgent it shouldn't be 18 months, if it's routine it's likely to be that long.

We're turning our urgent electives around within 2-3 months now, there's a very big focus & cash injection into outstanding elective surgery to catch up.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List