Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Oct 18, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPCLI
Very Serious Dibber

Agreed

I wouldn’t just shut up and pay up for poor service - fingers crossed this won’t be the case when we go 🤞🏻

Edited at 11:45 AM.
DisneyPCLI is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 18, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPCLI
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
It's not a tip, it's a service charge and you would have to demonstrate you didn't receive adequate service. Which, if that was happening to me, would happen way before the bill arrived.
See above 👍🏻
Old 17 Oct 18, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Grace_1412
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by rocsta8 View Post
Went to Tusker house tonight. Server took our drink order and delivered them 5 mins later. We didn’t see him again until he brought the (not requested by us) bill, just as we were sitting down to dessert. The bill : 2 adults, 2 children was $201 for a distinctly average buffet and a 30sec visit each from 4 characters. The suggested tip was around $34. Madness, we left $10 and even that felt generous. Thankfully we are on the dining plan as it takes the sting out of their ridiculous pricing, $4.50 for a bottle of coke at Hollywood studios yesterday!
We had similar but at Chef Mickey when we paid OOP this year. Four of us, with a bill of nerly $240 and a tip 'bill' of nearly $50 and for that I had 4 drinks delivered and a few plates were taken away. I am not sure how this is justified as, even if we were the oinly table they were serving and the waitress only kept half of the tip that is a decent hourly way for leaning up against a wall in Cotemporary Resort waiting to clear plates away!

These threads are always contentious
Grace_1412 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 18, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tim17 View Post
Quick question - do people calculate their tip on the total bill including tax or use the pre-tax amount?
Pre tax
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Amaya
Earning More Ears

I think the conversation has gotten a little derailed from the original poster’s questions on the topic.

Tipping *is* expensive and often an something people forget about fully budgeting for especially since the expectations between the uk and North America are very different.
I am originally from Canada and spent a lot of time with family in the us before moving to the uk.

I have had instances where I have been out with friends from overseas and had to chase them around tipping because it didn’t occur to them that they needed to.

This being said I do not agree with how restaurants structure their compensation systems... but servers *can* make a lot of money out of it. I could give real life examples on both ends of the spectrum but that would be getting off topic. How well they do depends on the type of restaurant and the average meal cost whether it serves alcohol etc.

In North America always leave a tip for a table service meal end of story. For my family the amount left decreases based on they level of service, but we never leave less than10 percent and are generally in the 20 percent range.

In answer to the OP’s questions.

1.) you do not have to tip at most quick service type locations. Ice cream etc... most places will have a tip jar, but it is not expected that you fill it. I have worked these type of locations and tips are gratefully accepted and shared amongst the staff but it does not affect level of service.

2.) Bartending tip of 1dollar per drink is about right for a club or a bar. we didn’t usually tip at say a restaurant bar unless we were having a seat there and in for the long haul. The cost of the drink is generally added to your overall bill and can be included when you settle this. You do not have to tip... but it really does affect the service you get from the staff at the bar.

It isn’t right but it is the system that the us have put in place.

3.) bar / restaurant staff should always settle your bill and give you the change leaving any tipping to your discretion.

4.) you are paying a premium for being in a tourist area and the fact that the pound is weak right now. Yes the costs have increased, generally do year on year as the costs of goods and inflation go up.

Dont think to hard about this part of your trip. Just set aside a portion of your budget to cover this so you aren’t left short. Then it is up to you to decide how you allocate those funds.
Amaya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 18, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
English Tim
Excited about Disney

What anyone tips is their own business, but my attitude to service is the same anywhere. I pay for waitstaff to take my order, deliver the order and clear up. If they offer extra by being cheerful, offering advice, etc I tip accordingly.

It’s totally unreasonable to expect us part with our hard earned money for slow service for example.

I am also fortunate to have cruised many times and the service and is almost always excellent and I use this as a gauge.

One thing is constant, wherever and whenever there’s a thread about tipping, many posts attract ridicule and abuse.
Old 31 Oct 18, 06:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Just got back & thought that I'd share this one:
We always go to the Kobe, anyway, usual great meal & bill comes to the table, most if not everywhere, are doing the "suggested" tip thing...wait for it... 18%-20%- %25- 30% -35% ! I nearly fell off of my stool!
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 18, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
We always go to the Kobe, anyway, usual great meal & bill comes to the table, most if not everywhere, are doing the "suggested" tip thing...wait for it... 18%-20%- %25- 30% -35% ! I nearly fell off of my stool!
SD
Fell off your stool! I would have fallen off my mortal perch!

That high percentage is not poor form it's a downright disgrace and would mean that if I was presented with a check showing those percentages I would never darken their door again.

Obscene.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Grace_1412
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
SD
This is why these threads go on...and on... and on.

I know when in Rome and all that but it starts to become a (expletive) take when this is thrown at you. I remember the first time i used DDP in Rainforest Cafe, as I was being taken to my seat the server asked if i was on DDP and before my bottom was on the seat i was asked how i would be settling the tip... At least let me get a drink and take my order before making a pitch for your cut.
Grace_1412 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread