Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Feb 18, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Tipping Questions but not the usual

I am not saying I don't Tip or not to I just want clarification on something

Right DDP is free therefore the meal is technically 0.00 so how can you tip on it. If I went to an off site restaurant, complained and my meal was comped it wouldn't be included in the total so I wouldn't tip on it or if I had a buy one get one free meal voucher, only one meal would be charged and I would only tip the total of the "one" meal so how can DDP be tippable. It blows my little mind.

Also how come there isn't a standard tip for the TS not the meal price for example a TS could be The Wave verses Hollywood and Vine so if you went to both the staff at TW would get less of a tip the H&V even though they are both a buffet restaurant

I am brain confused.
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Your meal still has a value, just you are choosing to use (free) dining credits to pay for it. You get a receipt showing the value of the meal that you have ordered and you pay the tip based upon that. Tips therefore differ in different restaurants across property depending upon the cost of the meal whether a TS or buffet.

Edited at 12:54 PM.
Dendycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
wedinflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

wedinflorida's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
With the DDP you still get a receipt with the total bill on. Then providing you haven’t had any extras that aren’t included in the plan, the server will then take the DDP credits from your account.

The suggested tip amounts will be shown on your first receipt, along with the total amount. You then either charge the tip to your room or pay cash. Ensure you write cash on the receipt to avoid any confusion if you choose to leave a cash tip.

Offsite - I do believe that it’s customary to tip the full amount prior to any discount given. Again the receipt will tend to show the full amount, then will deduct any discounts and then show final amount with discount included. Though not all restaurants do this. Some will show suggested tip amounts too on the full price.

Hope that makes sense. It can be confusing sometimes.

Edited at 12:59 PM.
wedinflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

If I get poor service, I don't tip. If I get poor food but the server is not at fault or in some cases sorts the kitchen staff out for me... I'd still tip them even if the meal was fully comped.

(I do realize that some people would use this as an excuse not to tip ... just as some people when using a discount voucher or a Groupon only tip on what they pay rather than the full value but I would always tip based on service received and proper cost of meal before discounts regardless of if it is a coupon or a comped meal, I do this both in the UK and the US.)

Edited at 01:09 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Having never stayed onsite I am always flabbergasted when I see the price of dining in Disney. I know some of you get DDP but the gratuity on the very expensive free meal must make it so expensive.
Just a thought!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

Loads of people when going to Disney have free DDP included - if none of them were to tip then the waitstaff in those restaurants would be incredibly underpaid.
As someone else mentioned, if I had a discount or voucher for a free meal at a restaurant (whether that is in the UK or anywhere else in the world) I would still tip because that server is still offering me the same service so it seems very unfair to decrease their pay because I got a free meal.

Regarding your point on different tips for different restaurants - that is the same everywhere - there arent set tips anywhere in the world, so people are always going to get different amounts.
"The Superfan & The Skeptic" - Trip Report Index Here
Lucyjane45xxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Originally Posted by andy002 View Post
Having never stayed onsite I am always flabbergasted when I see the price of dining in Disney. I know some of you get DDP but the gratuity on the very expensive free meal must make it so expensive.
Just a thought!
It is - we used our free gift card to cover them.
CSR October 2011, POFQ May 2012, POP July 2012, SSR April 2013, OKW Oct 2014, OKW July 2016, All Stars Music April 2017, OKW/BLT July 2018, All Stars Sports Oct 2019, Riviera May 2022, GFR/AKL Oct 2022, Disney 5K Riviera/copper creek 2024, SSR Aug 2024
parkgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by andy002 View Post
Just a thought!
Most people on free DDP also book early enough to get $200 in Disney credit too. Lots of people use it to offset tips so it isn't as expensive as you'd imagine especially as DDP is one table service per day , not every meal. Of course if they want to avoid tipping altogether TS credits can be used for QS meals instead
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

yes Disney is very clever!
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thanks guys
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread