Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 12 May 18, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Itsabunthing
Apprentice Imagineer

DDP - It's Not For Me

Just returned from 2 weeks at OKW. The resort is amazing and I would highly recommend it.

However, the DDP was just too much for us. We're a family of three and ended up bringing back a little over 60 bags of candy! We didn't go without through the entire holiday but don't see the point of eating for eating's sake.

Of the 14 TS restaurants we went to, less than a quarter had anything resembling decent food; our favourites, in no particular order, being Boma, House of Blues, chef De France and Olivia's.

Will definitely go back to OKW, but will probably do more off-site dining.

Edited at 09:00 PM.
Itsabunthing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

You could look at renting DVC points in the future. If you don’t want the DDP it could save you some money.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Itsabunthing
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
You could look at renting DVC points in the future. If you don’t want the DDP it could save you some money.
I think that is probably the way we will go Bev.

I fully understand the appeal of DDP, and it does suit a lot of people, but we will just rent points and pay OOP for meals next time.
Itsabunthing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryL
Imagineer

You're right, it's definitely not for everyone.
Which restaurants of the rest did you particularly dislike?
BarryL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Was it your first time on ddp ? We’ve often debated it , offsite food is much better quality though .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Itsabunthing
Apprentice Imagineer

I think Sci-Fi Dine In was our least favourite, clearly they rely on the theming with little regard to the food, and the server actually argued that my husband had ordered a burger (which he never orders) when he had ordered the platter. Also Yak and Yeti where the food wasn't too bad, but server refused to adjust aircon when another family nearby requested it (we were all putting cardigans/hoodies on in our section) because the server was warm. Everybody was wolfing down their food just to get back out in the warmth!

Edited at 09:28 PM.
Old 12 May 18, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Itsabunthing
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Was it your first time on ddp ? We’ve often debated it , offsite food is much better quality though .
It was our first time on DDP, although our 9th visit. Off-site restaurants are definitely better quality.
Old 12 May 18, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
pandanne
Imagineer

We only ever did the ddp once. Like you there are only three of us, and we were left with so many credits - I felt it was a waste of money. We now stay offsite and if we want to do any onsite restaurants we'll pay OOP. Much prefer the choice offsite and usually the food is better as well.
Old 12 May 18, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

I partly agree with the quality of food, and defiantly agree it is too much.

But there are some really enjoyable experiences you just don't get offsite, and you can use your credits on 2 TS meals to increase quality (mostly, not always) and lessen the amount you eat too.

The other advantage is being able to stay in the parks of longer, have a break and carry on again, rather than have to get the car to offsite restaurant (which can be a pain from say MK)….or get in early.

Won't suit everyone though - but I think there is more to it than quality of food...
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Itsabunthing
Apprentice Imagineer

I do agree Stupet that it is also about the experience and convenience. Most of the restaurants (with the definite exception of Sci-Fi) had a great ambience or character interaction, even though we are all adults. I do like to have an enjoyable meal though.