Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 2 Sep 18, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
dor1
Getting Excited

dor1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

[QUOTE=YorkshireT;13464748]I love a good tipping thread- there's another morphed on another thread now. Here comes another...
Tipping varies. Americans, just like UK people are widely varying in what they tip, with Millenials now tipping less than ever.
When the standard tip was 15%, I always left it.

I love a tipping thread too.
As long as the points made are reasoned it is really interesting.
Suggested tip was 12-15% when we first went to orlando but has now creeped up to 18-20%
In that time the quality has decreased but the price vastly increased.
In answer to the OP original question I would say yes.
Old 2 Sep 18, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
millienoahleo
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Also just come back to me, chef Mickey bill recommends a tip of 18-20%, same as normal table service even though it’s a self service buffet, surely you shouldn’t be expected to tip as much when you’re getting it yourself
millienoahleo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 18, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by millienoahleo View Post
Also just come back to me, chef Mickey bill recommends a tip of 18-20%, same as normal table service even though it’s a self service buffet, surely you shouldn’t be expected to tip as much when you’re getting it yourself
I would leave 5 dollars. That is literally taking the Chef Mickey.
Old 2 Sep 18, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

So maybe the bit on the bottom of the receipt with the recommended tip is just for us green foreigners.
They will get punters who won’t tip both Americans and Brits, my brother point blank refuses to tip, he’s only been once but didn’t tip on a single bill, I explained it’s the norm to tip but he says it’s his norm not to, I’m sure there are Americans who think the same
I have to say I would not wish to tip nothing- I was always very happy with 15% which lasted for decades.
My parents are the same though- don't tip a bean. Also on cruise ships they go and have it all removed from the bill.
My mother grew up in a back to back rented house and worked minimum wage jobs in a shop and always says- 'No one tipped me'. She is a bit tight though my dear old mum.
Old 2 Sep 18, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
The food has been massively inflated over the past 10 years, much much more than inflation (one comparison I looked at was a skillet at Whispering Canyon, this will now cost you around 60% more than a decade ago, whereas inflation is around 25%).
A big part of this is to make it look like the DP is more value.
Add onto this expected tips have risen from 15% to 18-20%. So not only are the servers earning much more (taking into account inflation) on the tip anyway as the food prices have been inflated so much, but the percentages expected have gone up. This makes little sense to me.
I've stopped paying it and largely go to quick serve now. We have also got sick of running around to deadlines trying to get to ADRs.
We spent a fraction this year compared to if we'd had the DP, and we certainly didn't enjoy it any less. Our kids in particular have no desire to be rushing to X restaurant for 6.

same here, loved the DDP, but you are always watching the clock to get ready to go and eat, last trip we didnt have it and loved it
this last trip ( just back ) we didnt have it, did Chef Mickey on our first full day ( night ) and then a few others, but it was nice to finish at the park and jump in the car and eat somewhere, we headed to Target down Sherberth Rd and got to the traffic lights and decided ( with the option of 4 places ) How novel deciding what to eat 5 mins before you eat, it was great, and often the meal cost the same as the WDW Tip
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 18, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post

the server would have still cleared your plates and got drinks for you, though i agree, $40 for that is just silly
Old 2 Sep 18, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post

ref tipping, i have posted this on my high and lows post

we ate at " tick tock diner "in NY as we stayed in the new yorker hotel, our bill came to $62 , the server hands us the bill and the " TIP of 25% " is circled and has stars all around it, as she hands over the bill, she explained " tips are not included in the bill " yes we know that was the reply

we hand over the bill and a $100 bill and she she looked at it and says " you all set to go, or do you want change " , Ummmm yes, we would like change, she then told us about the tip again and said " many leave the change "
Old 2 Sep 18, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
AliPD
Imagineer

Disney include the so called free food in their inflated hotel prices, it's not free, they're charging you in with the hotel price and guaranteeing that you eat at their venues, instead of you taking your money elsewhere. It's a win win for Disney.

Massive tips are paying their staff too, again saving Disney.
The Gateway Inn 1994 - Howard Johnson 1996 - The Holiday Inn Express 1999 - The Sheraton World Resort 2001 - Howard Johnson Plaza 2004 - The Best Western Plaza 2006 - Econolodge Inn and Suites 2008 - High Grove Villa 2011 - Sandy Ridge Villa 2012 - Silver Creek Villa 2015 - Art Of Animation 2017.

Edited at 04:12 PM.
AliPD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 18, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by AliPD View Post
Disney include the so called free food in their inflated hotel prices, it's not free, they're charging you in with the hotel price and guaranteeing that you eat at their venues, instead of you taking your money elsewhere. It's a win win for Disney.

Massive tips are paying their staff too, again saving Disney.
No, the dining plan is free during free dining based on the fact you have to pay for it when free dining is not on. They sometimes have a room discount instead. Other times of the year there’s no offer. If you don’t like Disney prices you don’t need to stay there.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 18, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
AliPD
Imagineer

Not in my experience. I went last year, stayed on site, it was the most expensive holiday to Disney and yet I had so called free dining.

I still spent loads of money when I was there. I would've spent less staying in a villa eating oop by a country mile. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Disney aren't doing this for millions of people every year out of the goodness of their hearts, they'd be bankrupt.
The Gateway Inn 1994 - Howard Johnson 1996 - The Holiday Inn Express 1999 - The Sheraton World Resort 2001 - Howard Johnson Plaza 2004 - The Best Western Plaza 2006 - Econolodge Inn and Suites 2008 - High Grove Villa 2011 - Sandy Ridge Villa 2012 - Silver Creek Villa 2015 - Art Of Animation 2017.
AliPD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List