Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 21 Sep 18, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by suecee View Post
I wouldn't say we had poor service but nothing outstanding. Most meals felt very rushed, Olive Garden was the only place we didn't feel rushed and really enjoyed our evening there. And as a consequence drank more & spent more!

We concluded that maybe in the US they want their food asap where as we like to make an evening of it if we're spending a lot on food. For this reason we tended to opt for qs.

I guess it's another cultural thing.

We did get challenged at Ihop for tipping too little - it was about 50c less than 20% hubby rounded down instead of up. Made us feel pretty bad.
That is beyond rude. That would have caused me to immediately remove the entirety of the tip. Suspect they thought they could try it on with you for being British.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
We were once so rushed in a WDW restaurant by the main courses being delivered before we’d eaten our appetisers, that we asked the server to take them away again.
I'd say that's almost normal in WDW restaurants if you have a starter, at best the mains will arrive instantly the starter dishes are cleared.

It's not so noticeable now most people are on standard DDP which doesn't include a starter so obviously there's only scope for it to happen if you pay OOP for a starter.

Was quite annoying when just me and DW went last year - we'd try and stretch a meal out but you're in and out of some places in 45mins.

For balance though, next year we'll have our grandchildren with us and speedy service will be welcome! I'm dreading the mandatory service charges though - I'm going to really resent it if I'm not happy.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
I'd say that's almost normal in WDW restaurants if you have a starter, at best the mains will arrive instantly the starter dishes are cleared.

It's not so noticeable now most people are on standard DDP which doesn't include a starter so obviously there's only scope for it to happen if you pay OOP for a starter.

Was quite annoying when just me and DW went last year - we'd try and stretch a meal out but you're in and out of some places in 45mins.

For balance though, next year we'll have our grandchildren with us and speedy service will be welcome! I'm dreading the mandatory service charges though - I'm going to really resent it if I'm not happy.
We never order the entree until we have finished the appetiser.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryL
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Lots of comments already so mine is brief.

UK service 5 out of 10
USA service 9 out of 10

That's based on 42 years of multiple annual trips to the States and eaten all over the country apart from the Mid West.
Very much my experience too. Apart from a very occasional poor server I'd go with a solid 9/10 across hundreds of restaurants in dozens of states.

I'd actually rate the cities I've visited in the mid west most highly
BarryL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
deanobrown
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
That is beyond rude. That would have caused me to immediately remove the entirety of the tip. Suspect they thought they could try it on with you for being British.
Same! If anybody ever had the cheek to challenge the amount of money I have VOLUNTARILY chosen to give them, then I would be taking it all back!
deanobrown is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17

We’re on the DDP next time and all of us prefer savoury to sweet, so we will be choosing appetisers and paying OOP for them. This thread has just reminded me to firmly state upon ordering that we do not want the entrees until our appetisers are cleared!

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
We never order the entree until we have finished the appetiser.
Hmmm... that might stretch things out a bit too much.

How does that go down? I imagine in the busier restaurants they wouldn't be too thrilled about that.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 06:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
That is normal. In the US people often don’t order appetiser and entree at the same time like we do in the UK. They will order an appetiser to nibble on while they decide what to have for an entree. So Brits go in, order both and the restaurant thinks we want them together - and then can’t understand why we are upset when they bring the entree before we finish the appetiser!

Simple solution, either ask for a break, or don’t order the entree until you are ready.

Similarly the US prizes fast service, particularly in Disney. They want you in, fed and out (I have heard 45 minutes is a target) and that is what most of their guests want too. Also things like clearing plates before everyone finishes (considered rude in the UK but good service in the US - they don’t want you staring at empty plates). And bringing the check (bill) before you finish eating is also good service in the US. It doesn’t mean they are rushing you, just that you don’t have to flag someone down when you want to pay.

We never had bad service in the US, but there are definitely cultural differences.
Other parks: Tokyo

Edited at 06:43 AM.
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Hmmm... that might stretch things out a bit too much.

How does that go down? I imagine in the busier restaurants they wouldn't be too thrilled about that.
Gill H has actually answered this and I agree with her.

I actually don't care what the staff think as I am the customer. But in 24 years of visiting Florida and doing this I have never had a problem or in the 20 years prior to that when we dined elsewhere in the States.

Sometimes if we dont want much my Wife and I will order an appetiser and an entree together. Ask for an extra plate and share both dishes.

We are always doing some type of swapping etc. Also we never have individual appetisers and always share those apart from a Signature restaurant where they are too small to share!

It's nothing to do with cost it's about how we feel on the night and how much or how little we want

Staff will always work with you I find.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 08:29 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Great service imho is not only about attentiveness, but also about knowledge of the food and method of cooking, including the ingredients.

At great restaurants I would expect knowledge of where the produce is sourced.

I am sure others think the same.

Disney332