Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Jul 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
staceyb
Apprentice Imagineer

Those that book flights seperately...DIYers

We have always gone package before, next year I think itll be cheaper trying DIY. With regards to flights, (I'm thinking BA will probably be cheapest for direct) do you still get meals and drinks onboard as well as luggage allowance or do these need to be added. I've only ever booked flights separately once and that was for Spain and we only had hand luggage so this is a bit new to me x

Edited at 11:26 AM.
staceyb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
kirstielou
Imagineer

This is the best bit about flying scheduled rather than package. Most things are already included. Meals, drinks (some include booze) baggage and no extra to check in! Ive never gone Charter/package as the extras always add to to way more.
Twins 2nd visit May/June 2022
kirstielou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

when you book flights, you'll be offered different fares.
some (usually called "light" or "basic economy" by some airlines) will not include checked luggage. So you need to double check what fare class (rate) you book

advance seat reservation may come for a fee

on main airlines you do get meals and drinks, included (only some airlines, classed as low cost, like icelandair, will not include meals in their base rates, but there again, you're offered to purchase a rate including those things, just make sure you understand what you agree to pay for, it's stated what's included, clearly when you book)

please note that covid protection related measures will have some airlines not offer drinks or meals.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

If you booked the cheapest tickets then you don’t usually get checked luggage. This is a recent change but pretty widespread.

We have always had complimentary food and drink though. And sometimes free seat assignments but that depends on the airline.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

There’s no reason why you can’t DIY on charters as well as scheduled air so I don’t really understand the above post

I wouldn’t dream of booking a package to Florida as we like to hop around , a typical holiday might include a cruise, a few days visiting friends as well as a hotel or two.
I rarely pay for luggage or seats although our next trip in May (hopefully ) I have as it was a rebook from a hand baggage only fare and the main cabin fare had a far more flexible change condition attached to it due to Covid and for now flexibility is far more important to us than previously.

Edited at 11:39 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Not much of an answer I'm afraid as each class of seat (economy, premium and upper) has it's own separate and different inclusions when it comes to baggage allowance, meals and drinks. The only way to be sure is to to do dummy bookings in different classes on the same date to see what's included.

One thing to be careful of though is booking PE seats with VS and BA. Seat reservation is included in VS PE but costs extra on BA - up to £40 pp per flight. PE on both though gets you two 23kg checked cases each.

You should note though that VS only release prices 330 days out from your return date. BA are 25 days earlier at 355 days.

You can also book flights only with Tui into SFB and they often show prices much earlier than VS and BA but you need to check carefully what they include.

Mick

Edited at 11:34 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
staceyb
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you everyone, it would be BA economy that we would most likely go with for flights as weve flown a package with them to florida before, weve also done VH many times but their prices are just crazy atm x
staceyb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by staceyb View Post
Thank you everyone, it would be BA economy that we would most likely go with for flights as weve flown a package with them to florida before, weve also done VH many times but their prices are just crazy atm x
Just do a dummy flight only booking here and it will show options for different classes.

Not sure about food I'm afraid in "normal" days or "covid" days.

britishairways/trave...T&source=false

Just out of interest BA sometimes do very competitive fly-drive prices and the car is always properly insured.

Mick
Old 26 Jul 20, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
when you book flights, you'll be offered different fares.
some (usually called "light" or "basic economy" by some airlines) will not include checked luggage. So you need to double check what fare class (rate) you book

advance seat reservation may come for a fee

on main airlines you do get meals and drinks, included (only some airlines, classed as low cost, like icelandair, will not include meals in their base rates, but there again, you're offered to purchase a rate including those things, just make sure you understand what you agree to pay for, it's stated what's included, clearly when you book)

please note that covid protection related measures will have some airlines not offer drinks or meals.
Bonjour mon ami

How's life over la Manche at the moment?

Mick
Old 26 Jul 20, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

just a note that BA is the most generous re: bagage allowance
unless it's changed you get 23kg in hand luggage (compared to 12 or even 8 with lufthansa)

that's on top of the 23kg, standard on most airlines for checked luggage.

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Bonjour mon ami

How's life over la Manche at the moment?

Mick
Hello my friend.

Life is good.
We live 40 miles south of Lyon, weather is hot, we get 30°C+ everyday

How do we cope with Florida deprivation and withdrawal ?
Well, chilling in our pool, floating around in a Cabana Bay Beach resort tube, sipping some cocktail in a Margaritaville tumbler, listening to a Winter Haven radio station over the internet.

I knew all those "souvenirs" we brought back would come in handy some day.

(still, I need to go back)
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List