Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Jul 10, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggernut
Imagineer

[Even more annoying when the 'disabled' person is just a very overweight person using the scooter as a means of getting around without walking!
Can I just point out that not all 'very overweight' people use a scooter just to get out of walking and being able to use the disabled access?! I am 'very overweight' but last year in Disneyland was the first time I've EVER used a scooter and only did so because I had just spent 5 days in bed with bilateral pneumonia. I did not use the disabled entrance as I'm am very aware of the sort of comments that appear on here such as the one above! I was VERY aware as I rode round that people were probably making exactly the sort of judgements quoted above becasue I WAS the fat woman on the scooter!

In fact I should have used the scooter to get to the front of the Indiana Jones ride as the queueing area was too long and by the time I got off the ride and walked back to my scooter I was in desperate pain and ended up with a trip to A&E!

I do not judge ANYONE who uses GAC's, wheelchairs or disabled loos as I am not aware enough of other people's medical conditions to make those sorts of judgements!
1992(Honeymoon)&1993 Quality Inn International; 1995, 1997, 2006 and 2009 West Coast; 1996 & 1999 Comfort Inn LBV; 2004 Indian Ridge; 2005 & 2011 Regal Palms; 2007 & 2010 The Manors at West Haven; 2008 Sunridge Woods; 2012 Boston and New York 2013 Sandy Ridge 2014 Colorado/Utah/Vegas 2015 Manors North at West Haven 2016 LV/SF/YOSEMITE 2017 Canada 2017 Indian Ridge Oaks

Edited at 03:10 PM.
Tiggernut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 10, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Tiggernut View Post
Can I just point out that not all 'very overweight' people use a scooter just to get out of walking and being able to use the disabled access?! I am 'very overweight' but last year in Disneyland was the first time I've EVER used a scooter and only did so because I had just spent 5 days in bed with bilateral pneumonia. I did not use the disabled entrance as I'm am very aware of the sort of comments that appear on here such as the one above! I was VERY aware as I rode round that people were probably making exactly the sort of judgements quoted above becasue I WAS the fat woman on the scooter!

In fact I should have used the scooter to get to the front of the Indiana Jones ride as the queueing area was too long and by the time I got off the ride and walked back to my scooter I was in desperate pain and ended up with a trip to A&E!

I do not judge ANYONE who uses GAC's, wheelchairs or disabled loos as I am not aware enough of other people's medical conditions to make those sorts of judgements!
very well said. I use a chair when in orlando as I am registered disabled with arthritis. I had arthritis long before I was fat, but due to steroids and the inability to do a lot of types of exercise I gained a lot and have struggled to lose weight. Believe me it would be a lot easier if my dh didn't have to push me round, but I cannot walk far and it may not affect me that day, but I would be in agony for days after. I'm well aware that when I step out of my chair to transfer on a ride many will be judging me 'oh look she can walk, lazy so and so using the chair cos she's lazy/can't be bothered to walk cos she's fat'. I know because many such comments have been made on here about others in the parks. Nobody knows how someone else suffers or the disabilities they face so next time try and use some compassion. I for one would swap a life of joint deformity and injections to remove my immune system to be healthy. getting into a ride through a different access doesn't make up for that!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 10, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post

i have to say, i must be a chav!

love the outlet malls, cheap shopping and i have purchased a lovely little vest top which has diamontes on it spelling england!

my poor DH has purchased all his holiday clothes although he needed dire help in the matching colours department! ( lovely blue checked short put with a green stripey t shirt! )

i dont judge anyone on a scooter, chair or any other form of electronic transport, i actually have a burning desire to hop on the back and ask for a lift sometimes cos my feet ache!

we are all different and thank goodness! it would be a real horrid place if we were all like clones. thats the magic of disney and florida though, they cater for everyones needs, tastes and abilitys. thats why i love it so much!
Old 8 Jul 10, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by freakyjo114 View Post
very well said. I use a chair when in orlando as I am registered disabled with arthritis. I had arthritis long before I was fat, but due to steroids and the inability to do a lot of types of exercise I gained a lot and have struggled to lose weight. Believe me it would be a lot easier if my dh didn't have to push me round, but I cannot walk far and it may not affect me that day, but I would be in agony for days after. I'm well aware that when I step out of my chair to transfer on a ride many will be judging me 'oh look she can walk, lazy so and so using the chair cos she's lazy/can't be bothered to walk cos she's fat'. I know because many such comments have been made on here about others in the parks. Nobody knows how someone else suffers or the disabilities they face so next time try and use some compassion. I for one would swap a life of joint deformity and injections to remove my immune system to be healthy. getting into a ride through a different access doesn't make up for that!
Very valid points - think you have to be a bit careful when making a "judgement" on people in wheelchairs & I'm not sure this is quite what the thread starter intended.

My Dad is in a wheelchair & would happily wait in longer lines in return for a pain free life I can assure you!

Anyway, enough seriousness... I don't like it when rides break down... I was stuck on spiderman once... I don't have a problem with enclosed spaces... but I did in there - it was pitch black & very hot!
Old 8 Jul 10, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Team Turner
Imagineer

They may have had more than one GAC. Can you tell just by looking at someone whether or not they have eg Autism and may not be able to stand the stress of queuing?

Edited at 04:19 PM. Reason: sorry Jo I'm quoting Tiggernut here
Team Turner is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 10, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
There are always going to be things that someone will not like. I think you have to realise that nothing in Orlando is real. It's all make believe. It's all man made. It's mostly Theme parks. Don't like that sort of thing - go to Cuba/Mexico/Dubai whatever. Theres enough for everyone.
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 10, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaz
Imagineer

Gaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Mrs Valentine View Post
There are always going to be things that someone will not like. I think you have to realise that nothing in Orlando is real. It's all make believe. It's all man made. It's mostly Theme parks. Don't like that sort of thing - go to Cuba/Mexico/Dubai whatever. Theres enough for everyone.
WHAT? What do you mean its all make believe, The donkey in universal is real, he knows my name...

What about micky, minne and timone?

But yep, you can not please everyone all of the time. But Orlando has a very good go at it. But you must experience it all yourself, you never know, what someone can discribe as Blackpool or Great Yarmouth once you had the warmth, the excitment of all the kids and adults and the warm welcome experienced by all, you might actually love it.
Gaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 10, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
alvin_purple
Very Serious Dibber

I dislike all the foreigners, but at least there's not too many french.
alvin_purple is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 10, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaz
Imagineer

Gaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by alvin_purple View Post
I dislike all the foreigners, but at least there's not too many french.
Erm, most of us dibbers are foreigners in the USA?
Gaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 10, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post

gt yarmouth

Originally Posted by Lovesholidays View Post
I suppose its all down to each and their own. What one person loves another hates. Me and mine don't like International Drive (well the top end anyway), reminds us of Great Yarmouth!

I didn't like Wet n Wild, thought it was an awful place, concrete jungle! And one more for the road - we hate Ponderosa.

Still that's just our opinion eh
if it had the electric snails from joyland and the rollercoaster from the pleasure beach id be there in a shot! hehe! but i know what you mean in 2004 we went for a night and it did seem a bit 'benidormy' but each to their own x
Closed Thread