Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 16 Jul 10, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaz
Imagineer

Gaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Scandi777 View Post
Absolutely a valid point to make, and it makes sense.
But honestly, the renter had the choice to accept the terms and conditions. If (s)he did not like them, then s(h) should just not have accepted and booked elsewhere.

I do agree that using a full tank in just one day is quite difficult and in that perspective it seems a little over the top to force the renter into buying a full tank. Hence, this discussion easily turns philosophical...

Which is worse:

that the company forces the renter into buying a full tank of fuel on a one-day rental
-or-
that the renter accepts these terms and conditions and subsequently complains when they are being enforced?

S.
its not the fact that it is stated in the T&Cs, it isnt. however i learnt today it is covered in their FAQ, not the T&Cs, so its not a case of me (HE) complaining for the sake, So if you purchase something and are then forced to pay extra that is not covered in the T&Cs yet is hidden on the websites FAQ, right below a large banner stating HO HIDDEN EXTRAS, you think this is acceptable? I dont, that is why i will be taking this matter up on my return.

ALSO I was actually pointing this out to others on here as this is a well used site and it appears this is not a well known thing. But thanks for the advice, i will book elsewhere next time. As $50 for a 25 mile trip is slightly excessive? BUT if read the full post, why was it then the second guy didnt charge it?

THIS IS THEIR BANNER "Just £25 deposit (with balance 8 weeks prior to collection). GuaranteedFully Inclusive Rates, No Hidden Extras on Arrival" SO something isnt actually correct in that statement. And before you go on, i do know contracts, i do know T&C attached to contracts, i deal with it on a large number of occasions, that is why i read and re-read THE T&C not the FAQ.

Edited at 06:05 PM.
Gaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 10, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post

We picked up a car from Alamo at the Dolphin last week on our first morning, knowing we'd only have it for 2 days and wouldn't use a full tank we asked if we could return it full and this was no problem so I would have been miffed to have been charged for a full tank too.

The sign at the desk lists all the options for fuel and nowhere does it state you have to pay for full tank. I think the issue my be with USrentacar's terms rather than Alamo's as we also had a problem with unexpected fuel charges when we booked with them a few years ago.

Edited at 06:27 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 10, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Just to make it clear, with US Rentacar you are required to confirm you have read the terms before you can book the vehicle.

The terms read:
"Fuel: Fuel policies vary from supplier to supplier. Alamo and Dollar will charge you for a tank of fuel upon collection of your vehicle if the 'Fully Inclusive' option is taken. Please note that these fuel charges will be subject to concessions and charged at a higher rate that if purchased from the pumps directly. The charges are subject to change as they are controlled by our suppliers. If a tank of fuel is purchased you should return the vehicle as empty as possible as NO refunds will be given for any unused fuel remaining in the vehicle. Budget may allow you to collect the vehicle with fuel and return the vehicle with a like amount to avoid a refueling charge. In any case please check conditions before you travel if unsure otherwise please check with the supplier when you pick up your vehicle."

Thus, it is clearly stated what the terms are and a booking cannot be placed until it has been confirmed that the terms are read and understood.

S.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 10, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaz
Imagineer

Gaz's Reviews
Originally Posted by Scandi777 View Post
Just to make it clear, with US Rentacar you are required to confirm you have read the terms before you can book the vehicle.

The terms read:
"Fuel: Fuel policies vary from supplier to supplier. Alamo and Dollar will charge you for a tank of fuel upon collection of your vehicle if the 'Fully Inclusive' option is taken. Please note that these fuel charges will be subject to concessions and charged at a higher rate that if purchased from the pumps directly. The charges are subject to change as they are controlled by our suppliers. If a tank of fuel is purchased you should return the vehicle as empty as possible as NO refunds will be given for any unused fuel remaining in the vehicle. Budget may allow you to collect the vehicle with fuel and return the vehicle with a like amount to avoid a refueling charge. In any case please check conditions before you travel if unsure otherwise please check with the supplier when you pick up your vehicle."

Thus, it is clearly stated what the terms are and a booking cannot be placed until it has been confirmed that the terms are read and understood.

S.
As said before in posts, THIS is not on the T&Cs sent and printed out on my voucher.
Gaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 10, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaz
Imagineer

Gaz's Reviews
Originally Posted by loadsapixiedust View Post
We picked up a car from Alamo at the Dolphin last week on our first morning, knowing we'd only have it for 2 days and wouldn't use a full tank we asked if we could return it full and this was no problem so I would have been miffed to have been charged for a full tank too.

The sign at the desk lists all the options for fuel and nowhere does it state you have to pay for full tank. I think the issue my be with USrentacar's terms rather than Alamo's as we also had a problem with unexpected fuel charges when we booked with them a few years ago.
Agree here Lynn.

I found it so suprising when on the second day the guy at the Holiday inn said that what i was told at MCO was not correct, it can be over ridden, he did it and showed me on his screen. But he did try you have GPS booked and breakdown insurance. Considering i had my TOMTOM in my hand he couldnt work too hard on that upgrade. He did claim it was on my booking, when i asked him to show me, he did, but i too showed him my voucher which clearly said GPS - NO. Sometimes i do wonder what they think we are, Stupid? I did discuss with the Airport about the fuel charge and both he and his manager claimed they couldnt over ride it and understood 1 day hire $50 fuel was OTT but they could do nothing about it...mmm live and learn.
Old 16 Jul 10, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaz
Imagineer

Gaz's Reviews
Scandi77
Sorry, i think we must be reading different things. this is the fuel policy wording in the terms i signed upto
Fuel Policy:
Dollar, Thrifty, Alamo: The vehicle will be issued with a full tank of petrol and a charge made upon return of your vehicle (except Gold Inclusive where the initial tank of fuel is included), based on the average full service pump price for mid-grade petrol, as stated by the American Automobile Association, plus a re-fuelling fee. This can equate to over double the regular pump price. The client should return the vehicle empty, as there will be no refunds for unused petrol.
When i read it now, it doesnt make much sense. I really hope this isnt becoming a tit4tat thread, yes i am none to chuffed but wanted to ensure everyone on here doesnt get caught out with this, especially for a 1 day 1 way hire. I think the wording you have got is in the FAQ, not in the T&Cs (might be different T&Cs your reading, but honestly its not on their site now (TERMS TAB)here or when i booked as to upgrade to gold was $12 per day, this against $50 full tank i am sure i would have selected to gold option knowing i had to purchase a full tank of fuel.

If you have gotten your wording from elsewhere please post the link on here, or PM me it. I have never signed or accepted a contract on the FAQs, it has always been the current T&Cs on the day of agreement.

Edited at 07:56 PM.
Old 16 Jul 10, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread